Where do you keep your frying pans?

Mine are kept in a couple drawers under the cooktop. Some more used pans might stay on the cooktop which drives my wife crazy until I put them away. Oh the games we play…

I have a cast iron comal that does stay on one of the back burners. Ready to heat up a tortilla or two at a moments notice

1 Like

I keep mine where I can grab them almost instantly:

Ray

1 Like

Looking good, Ray!

First, I can’t thank all of you enough for posting pictures of your setups. Hopefully I remember to post ours when I get home tonight. (We have a dysfunctional version of what @drrayeye has.) Not a week goes by where we don’t discuss how to reorganize all our pots, pans, and trays. I have tried to find exactly something like this thread and have spent countless days searching for blog posts, articles, and forum threads. Who knew what I was looking for was right here on Hungry Onion this whole time?!! And even better, from people who actually cook. Most of what I found was form over function.

As far as the original topic, I promised myself I would never use my oven as storage when I grew up. Most (maybe all) of my relatives use their oven as storage. It makes it hard to bake at their homes. I often have to adapt to using their toaster ovens. Side note: I’m surprised at how good some things turn out in toaster ovens.

(Also, @J89k, thanks for answering all of @Chemicalkinetics questions. I was curious about all the same details when I saw your pictures.)

Here’s what our organization looks like. A karahi goes on the right side of the top shelf. It’s in use at the moment. Smaller items are in cabinets.

Edit: I don’t know why HO won’t show all the shelves in the picture without having to click on it. (@hungryonion, any ideas?)

Baking shelf.

20181031_182839

1 Like

Hey I meant to ask - did the cart come with the shelf dividers in the middle to hold the pans vertically?

I’ve used zip ties to create the same effect on my metro shelving. Was curious if there is a commercially produced solution.

Also for anyone with the metro shelving (commercial style metal shelving) the container store (and others) sell fitted pieces of plastic to fit on the shelves. They were a game changer for me. I use the shelving for small dishes and as a pantry for bottles/spices etc and now they all sit upright without a problem.

1 Like

These are so helpful. I had two metro units in a past tiny kitchen. The plastic increased the usability - no more problem with things slipping through or getting stuck in between the metal bars.

I also used large baskets in the bottom and top shelves. Easier on my body to just pull out the basket and get what I needed.

2 Likes

I’ll have to look out for the mats from the container store. That would be useful. I think I was being a bit overly anal at first, but I was worried the metal might scratch the enamel on my dutchies. They are only Lodges, so it wouldn’t have been the end of the world. Haven’t really had any issues there though. I do regularly find a rogue piece of onion or potato in my skillets that those mats might prevent though!

The larger of my shelves was purchased first. About a year after I initially purchased it I upgraded to casters and I added those dividers for my baking sheets. The supply store I use sells them for like 9 dollars a piece. They kind of clip in. They stay in place with tension. Two of them were crooked and I had to swap them out. Keep an eye on that if you are buying in person. Perhaps mention that to the seller if you are buying online in order to avoid returns. If you would like I can dig out my catalog and find a manufacturers number.

2 Likes