What's your Home kitchen knife batterie?

Sounds pretty, but do you take along any knives or other tools of the trade?

1 Like

We have no doubt of it, but referring people back (without links or copy) is a little icy. It is sort of the digital equivalent of having a conversation in which a point is raised and saying “that was addressed last week” without any explanation. An OK response would be something like “as I said last week…” Better still would be simple repetition without mentioning that you were having to repeat.

2 Likes

I sit for two cutting tasks: pitting a ton of stone fruit for canning or seeding a ton of dried chiles for harissa. Arbols are tedious as all get out.

1 Like

Yeah; that’s the spirit.

1 Like

Shelling a dish tub full of fresh black-eyed peas must only be done sitting in a rocker on the porch.

1 Like

I always thought batterie or, batterie de cuisine referred to equipment in a commercial kitchen. I think it would sound pretentious if I referred to my stuff as a batterie. But some do.

3 Likes

The whole thing is just confusing as hell.

1 Like

Seems that way. I choose my tools with thought, but I don’t anguish. I dot ascribe magical characteristic to them. They are tools, not ambassadors to the universe. We are people, we cook, we share our heritages. We are the instruments, they are the tools.

3 Likes

Hi Vecchiouomo,

I took a few knives for the groups to try out for my research evaluations of knives, but not as part of my cooking projects.

That’s fine, Ray. Except when you make posts about YOU, you don’t get a pass.

The “grabbable knife” is a great example. If you put your knives on a wall behind your hob, it’s the antithesis of safe and easy access–unless you’re not using the hob. Others might read what you wrote, never considering they could burn or cut themselves until they’re injured.

If you want to post your opinions of X or Y without doozers, I’d be elated not to respond to you.

1 Like

Chapter 43 in deflection.

2 Likes

So I am taking this as no, when you cater you do not take any knife or knives along for use in your catering engagement, but you do take knives for the guests to try. That sounds intriguing. “Won’t you try the leek dumplings? Oh, and here’s a Utility knife for you to try.” Do you bring vegetables for them to use?

1 Like

Vecchiouomo, When I get substance, I give substance. Wen I’m confronted with debunking personalizations, not so much.

Someone might ask if I still beat my dog. . . .

Well, you are the one who has said you are a caterer, and you have been given multiple opportunities to describe the knives and only say you bring knives for people to test. When I hire a caterer I just want nice food well presented. When I cater I take at least a paring knife and a spreader in case anything needs last minute work. If I provide meat that needs to be sliced, I slice it at the event. I’d never think to engage guests on knife testing. It sounds fascinating but strange. I hope whoever hired you knew it was part of the event.

2 Likes

People. At some points, we just need to stop trying to understand Ray’s statements and admit our limited ability. It is an impossible task. I dare anyone of you here able to explain his positions. If anyone think he/she can accurately explain Ray’s past statements on catering, or sittable chair as focal point, or fusionable knife or real home cooks…etc, please step forward and explain them.

Hi Vecchiouomo,

I’ve said lots of things in lots of contexts. Why am I so interesting to you?

Because you are obviously pretty passionate about some things, and I am not sure I understand what they are.

3 Likes

I think Ray is referring to “the groups” as his cutlery clubs and post-doctoral collaborators whom he supposedly supervises. He excluded bringing knives from his “cooking projects”.

1 Like

I think I could do it. I won’t though, because the explanations aren’t about cookware or cooking.

3 Likes

Thanks for that comment, Vecchiouomo,

Over the last seven years, I’ve designed, built, and lived a home cook experience. It’s allowed me to explore in a practical way, some of the issues I explore every day at a professional level.

That doesn’t mean I wasn’t involved in food culture before–even at a professional level–but in a different way. I was away all over the world, and only rarely carried out a large group cooking activity. At Chowhound, I was focusing on getting started: buying and learning to use the tools in an induction environment–becoming a home cook on a daily basis.

Now, at Hungry Onion, the focus is cultural fusion–especially Japanese-American–explored through kitchen knives.

I still work full time.