What's your Home kitchen knife batterie?

Where my brother lives in Houston, TX, they have a good place for it. I adore the stuff. Shimp o mudbug.

1 Like

Ditto in Austin, but the closer you get to the Sabine, the better it gets.

Only seen crawfish in a store here once in my life. We have other local crustaceansā€¦ :crab: not for etouffeeā€¦

1 Like

Like me, you have the invasive grey crawfish. Wish they grew big enough to eat.

1 Like

In the spring they are in all of our grocery stores, and loads of people hold crawfish boils. One friend stirs the pot full of mudbugs, corn on the cob, potatoes, and sausage with his hockey stick. Batch after batch everything gets hotter and hotter as more spice mix, chiefly cayenne, is added. Of course beer does nothing for the lips that are on fire. Milk is the best fix. My problem with crawfish boils isnā€™t the heat; itā€™s how hard you have to work for such small bites. That is another reason to love etouffe.

1 Like

All shellfish are treats for this diner!

1 Like

Local crabs are currently $145/doz for jumbo males. Not even able to buy by the bushel. Used to be a backyard crab feast was affordable for just about anyone. Beer essential. Knowing how to pick the crab and not get the clinging red pepper boil spice into any cuts on your hands (from poor picking technique) is a proudly acquired skill. Mallets, newspaper table coverings ā€¦

1 Like

My best friend lived on Crab Creek in Norfolk. His mother would hand us a big pot and a couple of chunks of chicken or bacon trimmings and say, ā€œBoys, go get dinner.ā€

1 Like

Oh, people will still go crabbing, but the supply has dwindled for years. Additionally, thereā€™s been a shortage of seasonal workers to pick crabs for commercial crab meat sales. Itā€™s not a quickly learned skill. Not enough visas.

No, I speculated that from the appearance of your kitchen, you donā€™t cook very much. Must be someone else who went with you sitting.

And hereā€™s whyā€¦ I think you had everyone confused with your ā€œsittable chairā€ comments. And now you say your foldable chair (Is this the same chair?) is the focal point of your kitchen. Iā€™ve never heard of a person who made one folding chair their kitchenā€™s focal point, but good luck. I canā€™t imagine anyone doing that.

I have a bunch of knives, but I donā€™t really consider them a batterie. Certainly nothing special Iā€™d put in my roll unless I was doing butchery or shucking oysters for a crowd, etc.

What knives do you carry in your roll to your catering events?

2 Likes

The ā€œsittable chairā€ got me thinking along the same lines. I recall caterers bringing loads of serving spoons, tongs, spatulas and spreaders, a paring knife or two, and those really long slicers with the round tips. Ray, this is a cool catering weapon.

2 Likes

Hi Kaleo,

I will not respond to any posts from you that are about me personally.

I will support any posts you make of substanceā€“especially if you back them up with linksā€“and I will post in response to worthwhile threads you might postā€“if I can be helpful.

Iā€™m out.

Hi Vecchiouomo,

I also have a teak serving tray that can be used as enhanced counter spaceā€“folded up and brought along for serving on site. Both can be packed awayā€“out of sight.

The tray goes well with my 6 or 7 qt. ECI Staub and Le Creuset one pot meals.

I just pictured him sitting and cutting an onion. Something I couldnā€™t do. You did inspire that visual, Ray. So, you cook standing up. Sweet. I should learn to do it seated. Chez Paul had a strong career.

Ease up, Haus. We all cook differently. Sometimes I cook once a week, Sunday, and I go to town. Whatever. Enjoy your hobby. Lifeā€™s too short. Sorry if I offended you. Peace, man.

1 Like

So, are you a caterer? And if you are, do you have a license? Youā€™ve never answered these 2 questions. And, by the way, making a profit is not a requirement for licensure.

Thanks, Greg,

There are quite a few descriptions of dishes Iā€™ve prepared in these threads alreadyā€“together with my Joy thread that describes the fun I have in the kitchen.

Hi Meekah,

I wonā€™t answer personalizations from you, either. I already answered a series of related personal questions from you above on what I do in my kitchenā€“which was a big mistake.

Your questions to me are confrontational and rarely friendly in tone

Youā€™re personally confrontational, Ray, itā€™s one of your ways of not answering legitimate questions about your assertions. Always accuse the questioner of being personal.

1 Like

Geeze, Ray. This (if one goes through @Chemicalkineticsā€™s careful and faithful accounting) is a good example of why people often find your posts confusing.

You say one thing, possibly cryptic or hard to understand, but which gives a certain relatively clear impression to most readers, then in a later comment say something 180Ā° from what we thought you meant to say before.

This is confusing as hell. Thatā€™s not to say that lots of what you say isnā€™t crystal clear.

Itā€™s just that some significant amount of the time, youā€™re not very clear and confusing AF.

3 Likes

Hi CCE,

As long as I feel the intent is friendly and warm, Iā€™ll respondā€“as youā€™ve experienced.

When I feel itā€™s confrontational and personal, Iā€™m out.

In general, Iā€™m not a fan of banter, and am most comfortable with posts that are supported with links.