What's your guacamole recipe ?

Curious as to where the eggs came from and what you feel they add to the recipe. That’s certainly an unusual addition. Wonder if anyone else has ever come across it.

It was my mom’s recipe from when we lived in Albuquerque. If anything I think It might add a little texture to the guac. but not really to the taste. I have been making it for years like this and no complaints so far.

We like ours simple:

Fork mashed avocado
Chopped onion
Minced serrano peppers
Fresh lime juice
A pinch of cumin powder
Salt

That’s definitely a new one on me. Never heard of adding eggs to guacamole either in the midwest OR the Southwest.

Very

I have seen Haas avocados that size.

Sea salt, lime juice, garlic, cilantro, green onion, fresh hatch or serranno chiles & a pinch of sugar.

Roughly one half lime, two cloves of garlic and one seeded fresh (not roasted) chili per two avocados.

So here is Bayless (I swear I didn’t look at this before posting):

"INGREDIENTS

2 to 3 garlic cloves, peeled
Fresh hot green chiles to taste I’d choose 2 serranos), stems removed
3avocados, preferably the black-skinned Hass
A couple oftablespoonsFresh Mexican herbs (such as cilantro, pipisa or papalo)
1small white onion (fresh knob onion—green tops still on—is best), finely chopped
Salt
2tablespoons fresh lime juice

INSTRUCTIONS

Finely chop the garlic and green chiles, and scoop them into a bowl.

One at a time, run a knife down through each avocado, starting at the top, until you reach the pit; continue cutting around the pit until you reach the point you started.

Twist the two halves of the avocado apart. Remove the pit and discard. Scoop the flesh into the bowl with the chiles. Mash coarsely with the back of a spoon or an old-fashioned potato masher.

Add the herbs and onion, stir to combine, then taste. Season with salt (usually about a teaspoon) and lime juice. Scoop into a serving dish."

http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/simple-guacamole/

So I arrived at my recipe through trial and error trying to duplicate the taste of Baja, which is my favorite Mexican cuisine. But it sure came out similar.

I usually do avocado, salt, cilantro, serrano, lime, and garlic or onion. Since they are all ingredients that can vary in intensity, no set amounts, but to taste.
I prefer to smash the chilies, garlic (if using), and most of the cilantro in a mortar and pestle with the salt. The smashed chilies and cilantro meld better, and it helps bring out some of the aromatics.

1 Like