What's your guacamole recipe ?

Interesting! I like a little acid in my guac, but not so much that it is the first thing you taste. There’s a taqueria near my office where they use so much lime in their guac that you no longer taste avocados at all - not my style.

Agreed, I only use a little bit, as I understand it helps prevent browning. To my mind, the main flavor of guac should be buttery, rich avocado with clean, bright cilantro and a bit of spice from chiles. It shouldn’t be sour.

1 Like

Our preschool cook finally shared her secret and we have it now at least weekly.

Garlic salt plus a very small amount of lime juice. Nothing else. Every kid I know loves it.

I think Rosa Mexicano makes a very good guacamole. Here’s the recipe, with video.

The ones I get from my coworker are what are listed here http://www.californiaavocado.com/how-tos/avocado-varieties.aspx as the Pinkerton variety. Are those also known as Florida avocados? Ive never heard that term here before.

I don’t think they’re the same. The Florida avocado I’m talking about is a West Indian variety. Large, heavy and low fat

http://toptropicals.com/html/toptropicals/articles/fruit/varieties_avocado.htm

I’m a minimalist as a rule, a little white onion, salt, some chunky, some mashed smoother, salt a little drop of lime juice and chopped jalapeno, but not always.

“Slimcado” Ha! Way to spin it.

1 Like

Yeah; water bloated more like it. Nice in hot weather with some salt and lime, though.

Same here; it really is meant to mitigate the discoloration that sets in. I’ve had times when I forgot to get a lime/lemon and just made the avocado. Didn’t affect taste too much, but when I brought the leftover guac out of the fridge the next day…eh…it was gross to look at. Don’t care if it still taste good - brownish gray mush is just not appetizing. :frowning:

3-4 avocados, mashed with a potato masher, juice of 1 lemon and 1 lime, salt, red onion, finely diced, garlic, and a decent amount of Captain Mowatt’s Canceaux Sauce, from Maine.

Depends on what I’m in the mood for. Always fork mashed, pinch of salt, super finely minced garlic, a dash of tabasco brings out the avocado flavor, maybe a teaspoon of lemon or lime juice. If the avocado is a tad under ripe I’ll add 1-2 teaspoons of olive oil.

Sometimes I’ll add minced onion or onion powder, sometimes a tomato salsa if using for taco’s and need to extend it. Roasted garlic can be nice too.

I grew up in CA and generally am a minimalist- just how we made it growing up and the taquerias made it similarly.
Haas avocados only, either from CA or mexico

• two avocados, very ripe, mashed with a fork, still a bit chunky
  • good sized pinch of salt
  • soup spoon of pico de gallo or whatever salsa is handy
  • minced jalapeño to taste
  • sometimes juice of half a lime
    Taste and adjust as you go.
    No garlic, no raw onions, no cumin, cilantro goes on the taco not in the guac.
    Make it nanoseconds before eating
2 Likes

“Make it nanoseconds before eating”

This is key, really. It’s a salad, it’s not meant to sit around and get eaten hours later.

2 Likes

SE’s take on it:

I can attest that oxygen is the cause of browning. When I first got a Foodsaver I vacuumed packed a half of an avocado. 4 weeks and not a speck of oxidation. I was sold!

4 Likes

I just read an interesting fact of Serious Eats by Kenji. If you are using only half an avocado for something, store the other half in a container of water in the fridge. It will not abosorb much water, if you are using up like the next day. Sometimes, one whole avocado is just too much for me in one sitting.

2 Likes

Avocado , green chills , hard boiled eggs , garlic, cayenne pepper and bacon. We like ours smooth so I blend it with a hand blender and eat.

Red onions, lemon juice, cumin, black pepper, Trader Joe’s everyday seasoning, and if they’re around (which they generally are), green chilies.