What's your favorite bacon sandwich?

Not this.

Mine is the bacon we put together with only our garden grown Brandywine tomatoes, on rustic rye this summer. No lettuce anywhere…

4 Likes

My favorite involves bacon that is fresh cooked to order.
Not overly crispy.
Not dry.
And definitely not dry, as is all too often the case.
Soft bacon with crispy edges with two over easy eggs on a kaiser roll or hard roll.
And this time of year when the garden is full of vine ripe tomatoes still warm from the sun with soft bacon with crispy edges on sturdy slice bread- toasting optional.

4 Likes

Agreed, I prefer my bacon somewhat soft, especially for a sandwich; crispy edges but still pliable with plenty of fatty parts. I’m not a fan of raw tomatoes but I do love a bacon sandwich with roasted Roma or cherry tomatoes and plenty of mayo (garlic, basil or plain) on buttery toasted sourdough. Romaine or leaf lettuce is acceptable but not required. Keep the iceberg far away, please!

I like bacon on a fried egg sandwich or a grilled cheese too, but IMO those are not bacon sandwiches - the bacon is more of a supporting player.

2 Likes

Classic BLT with mayo, avocado and thinly sliced onions on toasted white bread.

I could eat one right now.

4 Likes

I like mine on rye bread too but with lettuce. Without will do too. Fresh ground pepper a must.

2 Likes

I’m with you. The B and the T have been carrying the superfluous L for years now. Well past the time when it became clear that their wilty friend adds little to the mix.

1 Like

The bread should be thick sliced white bread, not toasted. The bacon should be fried and there should be back bacon and streaky bacon at a ratio of 3:1. Before assembly one side of the bread should be pushed into the frying pan to soak up some bacon fat. HP sauce to taste.

2 Likes

2 Likes

While I love a BLT as much as the next person…what, no peanut butter and bacon? Sticks to your ribs, as Mom used to say.

1 Like

Nice, But just not enough bacon! :sunglasses:

BLTA.
I like my bacon on my BLTA sandwich. I prefer soft and tender bacon.

1 Like

Does bacon sandwiched between more bacon count? :upside_down:

I really do prefer it plain, but if I had to pick a sandwich, I like it BLT style too, but with minimal mayonnaise.

1 Like

I love bacon as much as the next guy, but IMO bacon is best when it’s not the main player. Support role bacon delivers unparalleled flavor and texture, but I don’t think it’s as enjoyable when it’s the main ingredient.

Having said that, nothing delivers on this premise quite like the BLT. And to emphasize, my ideal BLT is not a bacon sandwich, it’s more of a salad that has bread and bacon in it. The bread provides a foil for all of the ingredients to mix and mingle, and the main attraction is the lettuce and tomato and the way a little bit of bacon just jacks up the flavor experience. If you want to go carnivorious, a roast beef club is also right up there, but the bacon really takes a back seat here.

For similar reasons, my second favorite bacon sandwich is also a simple one - grilled cheese with bacon and tomato. Again, this isn’t a bacon sandwich! It’s a grilled cheese first and foremost, with the bacon and tomato only serving to heighten the experience.

As for texture, I love bacon all ways, soft, chewy, crisp, whatever. But in a sandwich setting, there are two requisites:

1. It can’t be difficult to bite through. Super thick bacon or too-soft bacon exhibit this problem.
  2. It should have texture, and provide a little snappy crisp when you bite into it. For example, in something like an bacon egg and cheese, where the whole sandwich is soft, a little snap of bacon is what truly separates a satisfying experience from a pedestrian one.

Occasionally, when I want to go all bacon, I’ll just do a few strips of bacon on white bread, with absolutely nothing else on it. Again, the amount of bacon can’t be overwhelming, but this is probably the best pure bacon experience for me.

Of course there is also the ubiquitous bacon cheeseburger. I like mine with bacon and blue cheese. I say it’s ultimate man burger.

1 Like

This is my vote too – peanut butter and bacon on toast. Real bacon bits will do in a pinch, but it has to be on white bread, not whole grain.

2 Likes

Google showed me that this is a candied bacon martini.

http://www.latimes.com/style/la-fow-baconrec3d-2008dec03-story.html

Seems like it would be messy to eat. I’d prefer something with bacon-infused bourbon myself.

1 Like

Bacon cheeseburger! of course. I like it with pepper jack and avocado.

1 Like

Peter Luger’s bacon (it’s very thick cut and I think the tastiest bacon commercially available, at my local supermarkets for $8 for 12 oz./ five slices), oven roasted medium cooked with just a bit of a crunch on the edges, hot from the oven, on warm white toast, slathered with lots of Hellman’s Mayo, and thin sliced ripe tomatoes, with large grain salt, and lots of fresh ground extra robust Tellicherry black pepper. Equal amounts of bacon to tomato. No lettuce. Extra napkins.

1 Like

I hope you’ve had the chance to try the actual Peter Luger bacon from the restaurant. It might be blasphemous to say this but I think I enjoyed it more than their steak.

2 Likes

I disagree with virtually everything you said, but it was well reasoned and passionately delivered.

I award you fifty points!

2 Likes

I’ve been to Lugers dozens of times and always order a side of the bacon. I think the bacon sold under their name at supermarkets is the same bacon as the restaurant.

2 Likes