What's the oldest thing in your kitchen?

I don’t know what that is, and can’t find an image like that labeled zip zap on Google! What is that?

Beautiful books and tools. What does a Zip Zap do? Is it a honing rod? Is the rod part made out of wood? (maybe just the color looks wooden to me)

1 Like

A knife sharpener. Yes, a honing rod. Yes the handle is made of wood. Invented be Alfred Zanger. https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2334642/zip-zap-knife-sharpener

3 Likes

Yup. I mean how come the rod itself look wooden?

The rod is ceramic. The whole thing is around 6 inches long.

What makes it a chicken fryer?

Great question. To my mind a traditional chicken fryer for making southern-style fried chicken is cast iron, with tall, straight sides. Lidded, always, with drip points (which this one has, just not shown in the picture).

1 Like

Yup, tall-sided cast iron skillet with domed cover.

I find those drip points really make a difference in how moist the chicken turns out. I used to fry in a pan that didn’t have them, and there is a noticeable improvement with them.

My great-grandmother’s French crepe pan

Hmmmm… I wonder about the basting spikes for frying. Certainly the cover holds a little steam in the pan, but I’m not sure water dripping back into >350F oil is a great idea, especially when it drips as you’re lifting the lid.

I have pressure-fried chicken, and that yields very moist results.

Well, I can only report anectodally that it seems to make a difference. Yes, there is some bubbling when you lift it, but the resulting steam doesn’t seem to be a detriment.

No pressure frying here.

Possibly an old edition of Good Housekeeping Cookbook. I had my mother’s which was older, was very thick, and had a WWII blue-page supplement in it, but, stupidly, I discarded it because the binding was a disaster as I sat on it at table when I was very small. If I were to include china and flatware, it would be my Haviland and Gorham sterling from around 1910, and a Spode Imari dish about 200 years old.

2 Likes

We have “soft boiled” frequently but serve them shelled, in a bowl with buttered toast cubes. Because I’m inconsistent in the size of eggs I buy, timing has been a real problem. Nothing worse than a semi-solid soft boil! So I’ve begun poaching them and serving them as we did soft boiled. Perfectly runny eggs that you can much more easily time.

1 Like

Hi pilgrim,

My soft boiled eggs are decapitated, placed in a holder/cup, and spooned out. I have cups for large and smaller eggs, and work very hard on my timing . . .

Ray

Understood. No, we don’t spoon them from the shell. And my hat’s off to you! At 6am, I’m not at my intellectual zenith. Simple gets breakfast on the table, Anything more complex leads to disaster.

This morning, eggs Benedict, which I can do in my sleep.

Returning to thread topic, I do have an egg-cup that was my father’s and that showed signs of having survived the 1906 San Francisco (earthquake and) fire. I’ll take a photo and post when I get home from the country,

4 Likes

Now you have me curious–how do you shell them out if the whites are at all solidified?

I open them exactly as you do a soft boiled egg and spoon out the firm whites and runny yolks onto prepared toast shards/squares already in a bowl. Husband enjoys extra butter. Salt and fresh pepper. Done.

1 Like

Ah so, thanks. You tripped me up when you wrote:

You do; you just don’t spoon directly to mouth. But now I can’t understand how doing it your way is simpler or less complex than eating from the shell. Oh well…

We like the oozy butter and egg saturated toast pieces.