What's the oldest thing in your kitchen?

The vintage plastic handle to the metal turner I used with my Staub crepe pan broke off in my hand. It was an old crappy throw away tool, but the blade got under pancakes and french toast the best.

I switched to one that I had with a metal handle

Have you tried a “Clacker” for your soft-boiled eggs?

egg clacker

2 Likes

Oh, now I know what that Mickey Mouse tool is. It is to cut/open the egg shell. Isn’t it? I have used the soft boil egg stand, but not the tools to open them.

To be honest, I haven’t been eating soft boil eggs like that for a long time. The last time I did it was when I was a little kid.

4 Likes

Me!! :rofl:

4 Likes

Chem,

I have used my repurposed Sir Lawrence butcher knife to do this for years. With a good stroke, perfect decapitation every time.

Ray

1 Like

Well, if you do, the clacker is an elegant (and quick) way to go.

I’ve got those cups in two sizes–maybe the best way to eat an egg.

Problem is getting perfect timing almost to the second with whatever technique you use.

I may need to take this up and remind myself of my childhood ( I used to eat eggs like this a lot when my mom used to prepared them when I was in elementary school)

Yes, the timing must be the more difficult part

Check out Dave Arnold’s article on doing SBEs sous vide.

IME, it’s not worth the time/trouble, but if you really want to dial in your ideal SBE, why not? It makes sense in terms of the very defitite and specific temperature-sensitivities of the various egg proteins.

I have one of those! But it’s not in the kitchen

Anything that needs carbon dating in there?

1 Like

We should all make soft boiled eggs this weekend. Into the way back machine.

4 Likes

I actually sous vide my soft boil eggs all the time! I love a good ol’ runny egg, and they turn out so perfectly with sous vide. Helps my sleepy weekend mornings when I’m not fully awake to not have to think too hard. Just throw them in when the temperature hits and wait until it beeps or do other morning chores like get the coffee, feed the cat, check if the bunnies or squirrels destroyed my plants, and water the garden.

1 Like

My vegetable peeler. It’s an “heirloom” I took from my mom’s household when I moved out :slight_smile:

3 Likes

My mother’s cookbooks

A “vintage” cleaver

And finally, that most treasured of ‘70s objects , a ZIP ZAP (which I just found !)

7 Likes

I have one of those. Somewhere.

I have an egg cup that had two sizes, depending on which end you set on the table. It’s probably from the 1940s or ear!ier.

1 Like

I have a couple of 1940s-era books: one on cheese and the original Trader Vic’s guide to food and drink. I expect to inherit my grandmother’s 1950s-era promotional cookbook-type pamphlets, including one with recipes from Pillsbury Baking Contest winners that my mother used to use a lot. Some of my most favorite cookies come from there.

2 Likes

My decorative Le Creuset cups are big–my no name white enameled ones are more modest.

Ray