What's the oldest thing in your kitchen?

A couple weeks ago. It is a little rusty but gets the job done.

All items came to me from my Great Great Aunt Emma who passed her love of baking to me. I use the sifter and the rack puller the most. The rack puller lives next to the toaster oven and is perfect for that. The cast iron mold that is rectangular is used for financiers. The other mold with ovals I have never used, not sure of its original use. The last little item is maybe a flour sifter??

8 Likes

It’s an egg separator.

7 Likes

Love the picture! Thanks for sharing.

I think you’ll need to use the oval pan and report back. It’d be great for cornbread.

2 Likes

My grandma had one of those

1 Like

They work pretty well. I grew up using one. I think I still have it.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

We think this wooden bowl and chopper are possibly a hundred years old. They belonged to my wife’s grandmother.

16 Likes

That is SUPER cool. Do you use it?

2 Likes

Wonderful! I wish I had my grandma’s. I can picture her making the chopped liver.

4 Likes

Only occasionally, but we do.

3 Likes

90% of what I know I learned here…

Found these tucked inside. Anyone remember “Impossible Pies”?

7 Likes

And not a crack in sight. Truly amazing.

Not really fair, since not a family piece, but this cast iron griddle is (supposedly) from the early `1800s, bought at Brimfield Antique Market in MA, and carried home on plane in hand luggage. (I am kind of nuts about cast iron and have learned how to walk without a list when boarding a plane. Would that they ever weigh my carry-on!)

7 Likes

Believe me, they do now. This last trip, at least 3 times they weighed.

I concur. I don’t think anything per dates me

2 Likes

The oldest in my kitchen, besides me of course, is a copper Meteor Percolator made by Manning Bowman Co. circa 1906. I have some things that were my grandmother’s, a salt cellar, tea cups and saucers from Japan, but I do not know the provenance of them. Her Oneida silver plate I know is from the 1940s. I also have my father in law’s carbon steel knives, some of which are I think are quite old.

knives

7 Likes

My aunt murdered a carbon steel skillet last time I was visiting. I took it back with me to rehab it. The TSA pulled a carbon steel pan and some frozen sausages out of my carry on for inspection lol. On Wisconsin!

4 Likes

An electric slicing knife that used to belong to my grandmother. I’d guess 1960s-era. It’s still in its original box. And yes, it works–quite well, actually.

2 Likes

DH has our wedding present electric knife in his workshop. Excellent for cutting both hard and soft plastic and rubber foam!

Previously, I remember many Sunday dinners at my in-laws, watching DF-I-L demolish a roast with an electric knife. Would be R-rated if movie or on TV.

2 Likes

One of the best antique shows in the country!