What's on your mind? (2024)

I’ve not witnessed actual cruelty here (and thank goodness for that), but misunderstandings can and do happen all the time, and I’m not even referring to this site exclusively.

Humor / ribbing / ball-busting doesn’t always translate well in the written form, especially between complete strangers with vastly different sensibilities and sensitivities.

Being aware of that simple reality goes a long way.

3 Likes

I think many don’t. I also think that this is the internet and that kind of behavior comes with the territory. It’s not realistic to expect hearts and flowers with every interaction, and it’s a waste of energy to get butthurt about either real or imagined slights.

5 Likes

Happily, I have no clue what this is about. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Agree :100:

(post deleted by author)

I saw that and thought it was ‘fake news’.

2 Likes

Namaste🙏

1 Like

Is anyone out there a bird watcher?:dove: I am stumped on identifying the sound I hear at night, in the summer only, of a bird sound. I believe it may be a winnowing sound, not a voice and all the sites (Cornell Lab, Audubon for two) I have checked come up blank. I live in the NW Rockies in the woods. I thought this year, I’d get on it. The sound is like an ascending “woo-woo-woo-woo-woo” then drops down a “woo” or two. We have bats, but they just squeak. It doesn’t appear to be a snipe; it isca different sound. Any ideas? I’d be so grateful for your ideas on this.

2 Likes

If you have a smart phone I can highly recommend PictureBird, a free app that can identify birds by pictures or sound.

It always prompts you to subscribe each time you open the app, but you can cancel in the top right corner and keep using it for free. I have found it really helpful :slight_smile:

5 Likes

i’ve had good results with the Merlin app (which works from Cornell data).

5 Likes

And @anaxgorous

i’ve had good results with the Merlin app (which works from Cornell data).

Those sound good! I use Birdnet, but it’s just by sound.

https://birdnet.cornell.edu/

ETA @mts , I think the number of birds that make sounds at night is limited. The description reminds me of certain owls.

Last November I heard what BirdNET identified as a Great Horned Owl

There was sort of a call and response.

3 Likes

Trying…

Waiting for someone who can app for me to show up…

Not our owls. I am waiting for someone who has the ability to ap to help me. The plain old Cornel Lab doesn’t have the sound I’m looking for. The “woo-woo” is very subtle and repeated.

1 Like

So I made a (white) potato, carrot and parsley casserole for dinner last night. (I started making it earlier in the day) I put the trimmings on three separate paper plates, as an experiment. I have a small group of bunny rabbits residing in my bushes in the back yard.

The first to go was the carrot trimming, then the stems from the parsley (Sunshine doesn’t like the stems, so I just pull off the florets and use them) and just this morning they are starting on the potato peels. I guess its true about carrots and rabbits.

It was fun to watch them… (It doesn’t take much to entertain me.)

12 Likes

Adorable

1 Like

Two items for my Today I Learned file:

First, paneer made from turned milk (sour, not curdled) tastes just like paneer using fresher milk.

Second, I should not have stirred occasionally as I normally do (to keep the film from plating out on the bottom}. With the amount of lactic acid already present, I guess it started curdling at some point before I hit temp and added the extra acid/vinegar. So my stirring smashed a lot of those curds up into minicurds that were able to get through 2 layers of linen cheesecloth.

It looked like milk squeezing out instead of clear whey. I got about 1/2 my normal yield.

Still, happy to have found something besides biscuits etc. to do with a half gallon of milk that was on its sell-by date and too soured to use for cereal.

2 Likes

That anything’s possible!!

1 Like

Of all the things that don’t matter this is at the top.
At least in my world.
:wink:

1 Like

Well, it might matter to his gastroenterologist .:eyes:

2 Likes