What's On Your Mind 2023

https://www.pancakeday.net/the-story
Liberal vs. Olney!

Iā€™ve found a way to take away a major part of the pain:

I go for cleaning three times a year! Gahh! Periodontist prescribed. Pain is equally divided over the course of the year.

I owned a business so taxes were pretty complicated. Fortunate enough to have solved it by recently retiring! :tada:

4 Likes

I finished up my taxes this morning. I did a little bit yesterday, then pushed myself to input and file them, today. Soā€¦ its done.

The dentist is another story, my old dental insurance company was bought out by another company. Iā€™ll work on all that in March or April.

1 Like

Congratulations! Hope you have lots of fun, food and travel coming your way! :partying_face:

1 Like

I do 4x yr cleaning. I canā€™t do ultrasonic, has to be the old fashioned way. I consider it insurance against a whole range of worse stuff happening. Makes my cardiologist happy. Iā€™m sure my cooking habits would elicit less enthusiasm. Taxes? It was my legal field once; I gladly give it to my CPA. You know the line about ā€œfool for a clientā€ - but I do good receipts and documentation. :joy:. And I keep great recipe documentation ā€¦

2 Likes

What? Dude, you got like 8 weeks left.

Plenty of time to procrastinate!

4 Likes

And thereā€™s always an extensionā€¦

Never done that so Iā€™m not positive, but I think even with an extension donā€™t you have to pay remainder owed by the regular filing deadline?

I always owe several thousands (on purpose) because I hate the idea of lending Uncle Sugar money all year.

Absolutely. You can file forms late, but the check better be in the mail on time.

1 Like

I make quarterly estimated payments throughout the year and try to come close (to my tax liability) ā€“ usually it is a very tiny refund.

Iā€™ve already had one ā€œrun-inā€ with the IRS, I donā€™t want another one.

3 Likes

Better make sure its the right form, thoughā€¦ Many years ago, I used the wrong form and you would have thought I robbed a bank and shot the sheriff.

At the end of the day, the net effect was $0, but they sure made it seem like I belonged on the 10 most wanted list.

2 Likes

I definitely respect that. I run the ragged edge of ā€œpenaltiesā€ each year but (so far) this last 30 years have been able to skirt penalties despite (typically) owing about 10K each year (my worst year, weird cicumstance all around, I had to cut a check for $120,000 but still had no penalty - very particular year).

I got hit with a $325 penalty in 2021. I just paid it, I really didnā€™t have the energy to fight with them.

1 Like

Wow! That is real big indeed. The worst penalty that Turbotax has suggested to me was $15 when I owed about $12K . I argued with the TT folks and in the end did not pay it. (That one year I owed over $120K at the end was protected by the IRS rules).

At the end of the day, I had spent enough sleepless nights worrying about the situation, so for ā€œitā€ to just go away for $325ā€¦ it was worth it.

1 Like

I can understand that, for sure, Dan.

Thereā€™ve been a couple-three articles on this. Iā€™ll have to go tomorrow to find the NYTimes definitive articile that lets you page through each of his books and see the changes.

But to me this is not a good thing.

Sorry.

2 Likes

Not sure if I should post here or on the what are you watching thread. Think Iā€™ll park it here. Sitting outside tonight looking up at Orion, Big Dipper and Little Dipper in the sky. And as usual along came a helicopter from the old folks home in town. Thereā€™s a reason why the helipad is situated so closely to TOFH and ambulance service almost directly across the street. $27,000. just to lift off and $418 per mile to the nearest hospital. For a total of $47,000. Owned by a bunch of crooks from out of state.

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

Whats on my mind. That dreadful snow . Coming tomorrow afternoon. Parking 5 feet from the street. Shoveling the birm from the snowplow.

1 Like