What's On Your Mind 2023

This may haunt my nightmares tonight. Truly frightening. Usually I’ll try anything once, especially if served to me as a guest in somebody’s home. But nope, no way. :nauseated_face:

3 Likes

Worse than dying and going to Hell……where they probably serve that at every meal!

2 Likes

To be fair, Popeye’s in in the top tier of chain foods IMNSHO, and that style fried chicken is likely very, very hard to find in Paris.

2 Likes

Oh, I’m pro Popeyes. When America exports something worthwhile and tasty to the rest of the world, it should be commended.
Now if I could get one in Southern Oregon I’d be a very happy camper :relieved:

2 Likes

4 Likes

My son says there’s a Popeye’s in his local mall in Ereğli Turkey!:astonished:

3 Likes

Ours is about 45 minute away. Not worth the drive for me, but when we pass through it’s a must pickup (a NOLA friend appreciates when we grab some for him as well).

1 Like

Funny, I’ve never eaten at Popeye’s either. I don’t remember them growing up, but I know they’re popular and there’s one less than a mile from where I live that I pass often. I’ll blame my lack of curiosity on my childhood experience with KFC–we begged our parents to get dinner there once and it was godawful compared to mom’s chicken/potatoes/biscuits. That was my one and only KFC experience and I’ve never felt the need to try FF fried chicken again (though I’m ok with a Wendy’s or Chick-Fil-A grilled/spicy chicken sandwich :woman_shrugging:

It is miles better than KFC (which, the last time I had it, gave me insane gastric distress), but it’s still FF, of course.

I’ve had it maybe 3-4 times in my life, and since the closest one is 45 minutes away I am guessing I’ll continue to average near 0 visits per year :slight_smile:

I only had a regular burger at Wendy’s eons ago when I first moved here & only remember the patty being square. I can’t give money to CFA, and the one time they were sending out coupons for a free sandwich I went. It was both bland and salty at the same time. No #FOMO here :wink:

I must admit I only have FF once or twice a year and it’s generally a spicy chicken sandwich. CFA and Wendy’s are both close, efficient and clean. But for a quick bite, there are plenty of mom & pop pizzerias, pubs, etc that can serve me decent to good food quickly (and even at FF places, I tend to dine in . . .too old to eat in a car).

I don’t even know if I go that “often.” We used to make an exception for road trips, and at the time i had a preference for the Jr. Whopper with cheese at BK over any McD’s (although I used to LURV the Big Mac as a kid). After getting a Whopper with a slimy slice of iceberg, we never went back & now just make sandwiches for car travel. At least I know what I’m eating, and that it will be good :slight_smile:

Actually, I did venture into a BK once more after a looooong recording session when nothing else in town was open. I was so starved I ordered a Double Whopper w/cheese, which was MUCH larger than I’d expected (or needed), and it was a very satisfactory meal - likely due to my starvation level, but maybe it was just well made.

I just never find myself in any situation where FF is the only choice, and I don’t specifically seek it out, either. I would never consider it a lunch or dinner choice on any given day, and I continue to be impressed and somewhat baffled by the drive-thru lines at the various FF outlets in town at meal hours :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I have actually never driven by a CFA that didn’t have a line at the drive through, regardless of the time of day. I prefer my own chicken and I have a cabinet full of spices to match my whim of the day.

The last time I had Wendy’s was when mom was in the hospital and the food there was so revolting the Wendy’s down the street was a quick refueling station. The hours are convenient and at least you know what you’re getting.

1 Like

The line at the local CFA is so terrible it continues to create traffic jams, and many, many illegal left turns, despite occasional cop presence. They’d make a killing in tickets if they fined everyone.

I. Do. Not. Comprehend. The Appeal.

Popeyes is a different beast. I have nowhere to get spicy chicken and dirty rice anywhere nearby in the PNW.
It would be welcome.

1 Like

Our local CFA is in the “ring of restos” outside the mall, so plenty of exits and employees are always outside directing traffic. The food’s ok and it’s always clean and efficient. If I boycotted every business whose political views are sketchy, I probably wouldn’t have a bank account, insurance, clothes, food, etc.

1 Like

I guess I’ve procrastinated long enough, I’m going to start working on my taxes, today. I usually do some preliminary work on them in January, but I guess I was too lazy (this year). Time to start crunching some numbers.

I don’t know what is worse – going to the dentist or doing my taxes…

1 Like

I’ve found a way to take away a major part of the pain: I create a spreadsheet at the beginning of the year and enter the expenses as they are incurred. At tax time it’s not too bad.

That is a good idea… I keep a folder or expenses and receipts, along with my quarterly estimated tax payments.

I should do a spreadsheet – maybe in 2023.

Taxes is a lot more work for me. So taxes is worse. Also, there’s no chance I’ll get a refund from the dentist.

4 Likes