Looks like she’s eating a sponge :sponge:

3 Likes

Interesting. Looks like a lot of work!

1 Like

More water :sweat_drops: talk.

2 Likes

Like the bloomin’ onion!

1 Like

The numbers are so big I can’t wrap my brain around them. What does 2 billion gallons of water a day look like?

I thought the article gave a very good overview and explained things well. Especially the psych factors relating to what causes people to really pay attention (visibly shrinking lake) vs. out of sight means it tends to stay back of mind.

Edit - re the numbers I tried to get a feel by comparisons. USNASS (national ag stat service, part of USDA) says Arizona leads in terms of water usage per acre. California runs over 30 billion gallons per day in agriculture, and leads in pure gallons used, compared to the 2Bn gal/day in Kansas. But California has nearly 10 million ag acres under irrigation compared to 2 million in Kansas. And the crops differ anyway.

Still the numbers just seem like fantasy to me. A hundred billion gallons every day, across the country, in irrigation water.

These guys (WaterSmart) give the helpful notion that 100 billion gallons of water is about the water contained in 8 or 9 billion adult humans…

3 Likes

When I was a kid in 4th grade Kansas history we were taught that the aquifer was endless, would last a 1000 years and was the source of our bounty and self reliance.
That was before all the desert/scrub/cattle country got turned into cornfields clear to the front range. Ethanol vs water is a hard choice.
:wink:

5 Likes

Did you live in Kansas? I don’t recall learning Kansas history, but 4th grade was a very long time ago.

I indeed did. :slight_smile:

Up until my sister invited me to Sausalito and the houseboat community.
Then I helped them move to Oregon.
And here I am…

2 Likes

(post deleted by author)

Wow. Kansas, Sausalito, Oregon. I can only imagine. It’s a big country.

2 Likes

I left out Scottsdale.
4 years there. About 3+ years too long
:cowboy_hat_face:

3 Likes

Us young California kids got to learn of the vast water system of the great Sierra runoff and the legacy of the water wars. And yet, still, the state can’t get it right. This year there currently is a surplus of water, but how long will that last and what is being done to regulate conservation? I lived through many cycles of drought and plentitude there. Rinse and repeat.

2 Likes

:pensive:I didn’t grow up in California, but I’ve lived here for 30 plus years. I don’t know that it’s “right” but I like to think there are steps in the right direction that I cannot credit other places I’ve lived in or visited with . Of course, there may not be as much at stake.

I try to keep up with what I’ll call “conservation efforts”, as reflected by my curated Google stream, but I’m sure that does not keep me all that informed, so please do point me in the right direction.

1 Like

An egg sandwich. It’s 1 AM, and that’s what’s on my mind

5 Likes

Been there. Done dat. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah but it’s a dry heat. LoL. Had a week-long work conference (read: boondoggle) there one time at The Phoenician, in late May.

I selected desert mountain biking as one of my afternoon teambuilding exercises. What an idiot. 118°F. I ran through both litres of water less than half-way through the course.

1 Like

Drinking heavily is what one does on summer days in the valley of the sun.
And indoors in air-conditioning!
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’d like to think so too, but I fear it will be the conundrum of perpetuity for water management in California.

I know it doesn’t help much, but here are my rain barrels!

7 Likes

Well if everybody did “not that much” . . . I guess it would be more than just a drop in the bucket.

5 Likes