What's For Lunch Houston?

I think Tana may be a person. It’s on the menu. On the lunch menu it’s $19. Not much is inexpensive at El Tiempo.

2 Likes

Them beans look pretty good too!

Not bad. They’ve been very soupy in the past, thin enough to consume through a straw. These were better. Arroz con vegetales was very good.

Very sweet lady; so tiny you can’t see her over the steam table, have to look through the glass shield. She wished me a ‘sweet day’ as I left.

I’m pretty sure there’s been a change in ownership or management here. Only 1/3 of the fresh meat cases have anything in them; they used to all be full.

Found it on the website, looks like plenty of garlic, always a good thing!

Coming soon: Gourmet Burgers next to Il Napoli on Memorial near Dairy Ashford where I picked up some tortellini alla panna to go today.

One of the three Frenchy’s near me has bit the dust; fortunately it was the one that I got the greasiest chicken from. The replacement is promising - Catfish Station.

Two piece snack box with 2 pieces of fish, 2 shrimp, fries and one hush puppy. Coating on the fish is similar to Capt. Benny’s - a mix of corn meal and corn flour, a little heavier on the corn meal that CB. Works well on the fish (though the pieces were very thin), not so well on the shrimp. The fries were battered and seasoned and very good. The solitary, small hush puppy was unexpectedly sweet. They’re called sweet corn hush puppies on the menu. I didn’t encounter any kernels of corn and thought maybe the sweetness just came from sugar. Not sure if I like a sweet hush puppy but on the other hand, if I had gotten more of them with the order I wouldn’t have thrown them away.

Chicken and Sausage gumbo (cup) - generous amount of a good Cajun sausage, most of the chicken was shredded, chunk of tomato, the menu says there’s okra too but I didn’t encounter any, plus rice and a good roux. Really liked this; very good for a fast food place IMO. Just a little bit of heat.

According to the website they’ve only been in business a little over a dozen years, starting out with a trailer in 3rd Ward. This is their fourth brick and mortar location.

A bit pricey for what you get but I’ll be back - more likely for more of the gumbo and to try their crawfish pie (empanadas) and boudin so there may be an update on this.

Catfish Station
, 7903 Beechnut

2 Likes

It’s my birthday and I’ll Mina if I want to. LOPEZ

4 Likes

Happy birthday Lambsy!

Enjoy it; You only turn 39 once!

3 Likes

Turn 39 once? I’ve done it 21 times and I’ll do it again in September.

1 Like

That is some serious Tex-Mex that the people up north and out west don’t understand but we do. Good stuff!!

2 Likes

Pictures just don’t do the food justice.

2 Likes

Well I guess the temps regularly hitting the 90s has sapped everybody’s appetite, eh? Gone on welfare and can’t afford to eat out you guys??? :smiling_imp: Old age taking it’s toll and you’ve lost all your teeth???

I went back to Catfish Station. First time around the gumbo was mostly sausage and very little chicken; second time it was the reverse. The luck of the ladle, I guess. Still liking this gumbo.

The boudain (their spelling - never have figured out why it’s spelled that way by lots of folks this side of the Sabine) is good. No snap to the casing, unfortunately. The house-made remoulade was extremely tangy; I didn’t use much of it.

The crawfish pie is an empanada, the pastry stuffed full of crawfish meat, mostlly shredded or minced, however. It comes with a house-made etouffee sauce that is an onion gravy. Next time I think I’ll put the empanada on a plate and pour the gravy over it - etouffee does mean smothered, doesn’t it?

My favorite things have been the gumbo and the crawfish pie but I should note most customer pictures posted of the catfish look a bit better than my sample.

A week ago the website listed only 4 locations and the Beechnut location was the newest - now it’s showing six locations.

3 Likes

I bought eight blue crabs at Super H Mart Blalock today and boiled 'em up. Served with butter and a bit of Cajun seasoning.

2 Likes

Not lunch, but my birthday morphed into a birthday weekend. As with many of you, I’m not a Fertittta fan with 2 exceptions: Vic & Anthony’s and Brenner’s.

I hadn’t been to V&A in a couple of years and opted for that for the weekend finale. Many of Fertitta establishments are now serving beef from 44 Farms in Cameron, TX. One of his TV episodes of Billion Dollar Buyer focused on the cattle ranch (which I didn’t see until after this dinner).

Anyhoo, I ordered the 44 Farms 20 ounce ribeye, medium rare, and added foie gras butter and black truffles from New Zealand:

Does it get any more decadent? It was delicious and made 4 meals in the end. The truffles were very mild, a little disappointingly so, but still fab.

By contrast, DH got the 7 ounce filet from the same ranch, with a marrow on the side:

We also had apps of roasted bacon and tomatoes/mozz and dessert was a comped birthday cake.

A great evening!

The adventure continues today as a friend will meet me for lunch to celebrate more! Where shall I choose this time? Hahaha

3 Likes

Uh oh. Drool on the keyboard again. I hate that.

I’ve gotta get me some better (richer) friends by the time my next b-day rolls around.

1 Like

Crab Louie at Liberty kitchen treehouse. Funny thing, DH had lunch elsewhere and when asked, he said he had Crab Louie.

3 Likes

We took turns picking crabs and showed great restraint and left a nice pile of meat which I turned into a good crab creole.

3 Likes

Uhmmmm. …I’m not trying to ruin your sweetly romantic birthday tale of marital simpatico, but that looks suspiciously like shrimp.

Maybe a Shrimp Remoulade Salad?

2 Likes

Maybe a Shrimp Remoulade Salad?

You can get your Louie with shrimp or crab. I ordered crab. They brought shrimp. Then they brought a bowl of crab (top of pic) to make it right. It was actually shrimp and crab louie!

1 Like

Sounds fishy to me.

(See what I did there?)

:wink:

3 Likes