What's For Lunch Houston?

Yes, just across 59/69 from Lopez, next to Carter’s Country. It’s not Himalaya, don’t get me wrong. There were some dishes I preferred here, some at Savoy, just north of Bellfort on Wilcrest. Despite the gruffness, this was a more pleasant place to dine-in. I only did take-out at Savoy.

The best Paki resto in this area was Le Sani, which is gone.

Chicken Shawarma from Halal 5 food truck.

Very good. Many shawarma I’ve had are overcooked and the chicken is tough and dry. This was diced up so that issue was not as noticeable. Very juicy sandwich with all the wet ingredients including two sauces. Made in a flour tortilla instead of a pita (there are quesidillas on the menu, too).

The quantity of fries included in the price was huge - a separate container was needed for all the fries (and more hot sauce). They were nicely seasoned but undercooked. I had leftovers for days which were much better as they benefited from twice-frying.

2 Likes

Yesterday I had Tex-Mex at Ula’s which has some pretty good food and a few misses. For some odd reason I ordered nachos. They were okay, but the thin chip didn’t stand up to the toppings and a fork was employed. Ula’s is on Washington and there’s one in Mo City.

This was the second patio this week where people have brought their dog while I was there - it is so patio weather, right?! I’m still getting used to dogs on patios and I wish it weren’t a thing. Some patios are for smokers and dog owners, leaving sun seeking non-smoking cat persons bereft. Anyway, no issues or incidents yet, though I imagine kerfuffles if more than one dog shows up at once. Two dogs visited independently of each other at Ciro’s on Sunday, and yesterday this fellow enjoyed the patio at Ula’s. If you look at the end of the line of tables, you’ll see a Great Dane that is head and neck above the table line. He was pretty cute, but seemed a tad tense.

3 Likes

Magic Idlis - rice, split black lentil, butter, onion, gunpowder, coriander, plus a peanut chutney (top) and another one the guy couldn’t think of a name for. Served on a banana leaf section.

Chai.

Great little find; just my kind of hole-in-the-wall place. According to the website, 2 college guys started this. Only open for breakfast and lunch. They have added the lunch thali that the website says is ‘coming soon.’ I’ll be back to try to Magic Masala Dosa!

9411 Richmond, across from Blue Nile. Several Colombian restos in the area including Mi Pueblito and Dodo’s Chicken in the same center plus a Colombian hot dog wagon at night; also La Vina, a very good Cuban resto.

Flying Idlis

1 Like

??

I guess I have to be the one to ask!

A condiment!

I am not the expert. I had assumed because of the name it was the reason the tops of the idlis were dark gray but…

Take Your Pick

… in most of the pics it’s reddish or orangish.

I know I’ve encountered the term before but can’t remember where (at what restaurant).

1 Like

Lunch today with friends at Lankford Grocery. Everybody went for the Thursday special, Chicken Fried Steak.

Smaller portion or bigger plates??? Either way I couldn’t finish it and I used to be able to. Leftover CFS sandwich for lunch coming right up. And maybe a mashed potato fritter?

Sorry, no picture.

As I headed out for the 30 min drive home I started slipping into a gravy coma. Took the less traveled roads and stuck to the curb lane and managed to make it home before I crashed. Ahhhhhh. A nice nap to cap off a great lunch. Life is good :sunglasses:.

2 Likes

Amazingly I’ve only bee to Lankford once, and had a jalapeno burger. It wasn’t in the top of my list of burgers. I need to go back and try something else.

Lunch today at Tandoori Garden in Katy. They’ve got a small but very tasty luncheon buffet. Had Chicken Tikka Masala, Saag Paneer, Lamb Bhuna, Aloo Gobhi, Chana Masala, Basmati Rice and Riata.

3 Likes

Looks good.

1 Like

Went over to the Village today to the original location of Local Foods. First time in a long time. I was glad to see the in-house menu still lists Green Goddess dressing on the shrimp and blue crab sandwich but I was determined this time to try the much praised and commented upon Crunchy Chicken sandwich.

Baked chicken, nut ‘crumble,’ crushed chips, pickles, tomato, provolone, buttermilk ranch on a pretzel bun. I found the sandwich very dry; it fell apart easily - I ate a lot of the chicken with a fork - and I am at a loss as to the great appeal of this. A big problem is that chicken is so tasteless and dry to begin with. I had to search to figure out where the provolone was (under the top bun). I retrieved some house made hot sauce to dress this up a little. I wouldn’t order this again.

My sides were the house version of tabouli (front) with cauliflower and garbanzos and a very modest complement of parsley. I liked this, not as much as I would have a more traditional take on tabouli, but I may try to do something like this at home and would order it again.

And secondly, Soba Noodles with cucumber, snow peas and cilantro. Obviously there was something red in there - purple cabbage as I recall - not listed on the menu description online. I got one piece of snow pea that was identifiable. Still, not bad. I’d order this again.

I tried the Mintade, a blend of citrus juices with grapefruit very prominent. There’s no description online but the in-house menu listed the ingredients (which I can’t remember). Not great but not bad.

But it’s definitely back to the Gulf Shrimp and Crab next time.

Local Foods

1 Like

So sad when yu try something new and regret it! :confused:

Yep. All you can do is tell your friends and order something else next time.

Thanks for the heads up.

BTW. The crab sammich sounds awesome.

Hopdoddy Burger Bar (Take 2)

A month and a half ago I went here. I had seen an article in the Press about trendy chicken sandwiches mentioning the Hoss Hot Chicken Sandwich, purportedly emulating Nashville style hot chicken, available only at the Village location. They were out of it for the day. My backup order was the Ahi Tuna Burger. I ordered it rare and realized even before I sat down that was probably not what I wanted. When it came out it was packed to go although I had specified I was eating on premises and there was very little pink to the tuna. It tasted like, well, tunafish not tuna but I thought the accouterments on the sandwich were very good and the sandwich potentially rivaled the one I’d had at Union Kitchen/Memorial, last year, so i went back today to try again, ordering it seared this time.

The buns are house-made and very good; the menu listing is Sushi-grade tuna, Sprouts, Teriyaki, Honey Wasabi, Nori Chips, Pickled Ginger, Mayo, Red Leaf Lettuce, White Onion, and Beefsteak Tomato. That’s the pickled ginger speared on top; the nori chips are like mini-shingles, adding some crunch. On my first visit the layer of wasabi on top of them was more generous than on my second visit.

On my first visit the fries were barely lukewarm, even when unpacked in the restaurant, and there were significantly fewer than this time. These were much better.

This sandwich was perhaps just too wet - had too many wet ingredients and started disintegrating right away. I thought on first sight I was going to like this one a lot more than the first one. I like this one better, but not by much. That leaves the one I had at UK/Memorial as the best I’ve had.

I kinda liked the restaurant. It’s kind of upscale Fuddruckers with a very limited menu. I’m not much of a burger person anymore and the ones I saw didn’t tempt me so I don’t know if I’ll be back.

But if I do this is the better location for me; it’s a little farther than the one in River Oaks District but I know my way around the Village and the parking garage is free for the first two hours.

I stood in a line for about 15 minutes the first time, mostly due to one person who apparently had to ask about every ingredient on every burger before she could possibly decide if she actually could take a chance on eating a burger that day. There was no line my second visit. I got there about 2:30 pm the first time, 3 pm today. Ahh the benefits of eating at off hours when you’re retired.

Hopdoddy

2 Likes

Afghan Village

I’ve been thinking about the Mantoo here for a couple of weeks and decided it was time to do something about it today.

Bouranee Baunjan - the famous Afghan eggplant dish - eggplant, tomato, onion, yogurt (there’s a ring of yogurt around the edge of the plate). Hmmm. I’ve had this before and didn’t order it so assumed it was a complimentary starter; had to ask this time to make sure I got what I paid for.

Naan - was at room temp. This seems to be par for the course at Afghan restaurants I’ve been to so maybe it’s not a big deal to Afghans if their bread is hot and fresh.

Mantoo - Afghan dumplings with ground meat and onion filling, topped, according to the menu with meat sauce, yogurt, and dried mint. The menu doesn’t mention the chickpeas and black pepper nor the hot sauce, a green sauce on the dumplings with extra on the side - surprisingly hot. I don’t remember the chickpeas from before nor the hot sauce.

I liked these much better before; the meat component was minimal this time, much more prominent before.

I think there may have been an ownership change.

Afghan Village

I need to get out to Afghan Cuisine in Sugar Land which I haven’t been to in 5 or 6 years and I remember as much better.

1 Like

All the talk of Mexican food on the other topic resulted in a craving. This carne asada a la Tana hit the spot, so tender and flavorful. At El Tiempo, Washington Ave.

1 Like

Me too. But I wound up at a little bit different venue.

Platillo from Amigo’s Supermarket on W. Bellfort. Haven’t been here in a couple of years and couldn’t remember why. I think I had concluded back then there had been a change of ownership or management and the food went downhill. Still okay but not as good as it used to be.

Lower left - barbacoa. First time I’ve ever seen this here. Lower right - desebrada - shredded beef. Used to always get two of each of the salsas.

But…

Quatro tortillas de maiz, hecho a mano I might add. Cilantro y cibolla. I’ve never gotten more than 3 tortillas (one of the best reasons for going here) and never the onions and cilantro.

So, I made tacos for lunch. And breakfast the next day. It’s always enough food for two meals for me.

Not as good as it used to be but possibly still the best taqueria in a mercado close by.

2 Likes

Is this a preparation technique?? Or just a name for the dish they made up??

I’d eat that.

I’m curious about that as well. I don’t recall seeing it on the menu. Is it a special or an off the menu item?