What's For Lunch Houston?

Veggie Samosas, a Beef pattie (rectangular) and a chicken pattie (triangular), with date-tamarind chutney and a simple raita.

Or is it patties??? Also spelled pattice. I’ve been seeing these for years but only recently tried one - the chicken one is chicken keema (minced chicken) baked in a pastry shell. Tasty. Haven’t tried the beef version yet.

From Savoy on Wilcrest just north of W. Bellfort. The place has been remodeled since last I was there but I believe I recognized some of the workers.

That looks great!

Over the weekend, mushroom pizza at Hungry’s.

1 Like

Looks good! I have never been to Hungry’s.

I’ve had it on my short list for several weeks to go to Luna for one of their Spicy Andouille pies. I’ve had it three times. Good stuff.

That one is on my list also.

Hungry’s is okay and convenient to me. I do think their jalapeno hummus is the best I’ve had anywhere, the portion they provide for $8 is much smaller (by half) than it used to be.

I also like the wedge salad with creamy jalapeno & feta dressing. I generally get the gyro platter or the gyro wrap (extra tzatziki) with the wedge salad. The pizza is pretty good but not the traditional Italian type yeasty stretchy crust.

The place is packed every day of the week but has a very popular brunch on Sat/Sun. On nice spring/fall days, the patio is very nice at the Memorial location. I haven’t been to the Rice Village location since a remodel I heard of.

Hungry’s Brunch

Happy Birthday!! ( belated ) I tend to celebrate all month because I can.

1 Like

Great idea! I’m on it!

I didn’t realize Hungry’s had a location other than the Village. I was wondering why you had trundled all the way down there :grin:.

I saw earlier this year I think that the owner of Hungry’s had bought Baba Yega in Montrose. That used to be a big fave of mine but I haven’t been in years. Like most everything else in Montrosia it’s gotten pricier, more pretentious (or precious) and parking is a hassle. Looking over pictures and reviews online, though, still looks pretty good.

I didn’t remember that, though I do now you mention it. I only went to Baba once and found it pretty plain. Likely to try again now!

I made it over to Luna Pizzeria yesterday, original Kirby location.

I got the lunch special with salad, a slice and bev. That’s the mini-sized Chopped salad. The menu online and the menu board didn’t indicate you’d have a choice but I could have had the Caesar. I knew I wanted to try the Chopped. Romaine and iceberg, red cabbage, sopressata, artichoke hearts, kalamata olives, provolone, grape tomatoes, red onions, carrots and cucumbers in the house vinaigrette, That’s close to 3 C of salad and it almost was enough for a whole meal for me. There was skant evidence of the artichoke hearts, a generous complement of diced sopressata, and skant kalamatas until I got to the bottom of the bowl. The olives had been chopped and had collected in the bottom.

My slice (!). The menu also didn’t indicate I’d have a choice of slices and I didn’t hear the counter person say the word ‘or’ between ‘sausage’ and ‘mushroom.’ I just said ‘Yes’ and wound up with the Mushroom. I druther have had the sausage, I think. Maybe not. This wasn’t bad, I’m just not a huge fan of mushrooms on pizza. Baby portobello, shitake, oyster and button mushrooms, spinach and rosemary with whipped ricotta.

The crust is a sour dough produced for them by Angela’s Oven in the Heights. It was very thin and surprisingly tough. I’ve picked up pizzas from here 3 times and never noticed the toughness of the crust, perhaps because they were closed up in the box for the trip home? Not a negative for me, just something different. I used knife and fork on the bottom half of the slice; everything would have fallen off otherwise.

A very filling lunch for $10.50 plus tt&l.

I’ve had the pepperoni and the spicy andouille and peppers before and prefer them to this. I was hoping the slice 'o day would be the arugula and prosciutto but no such luck yesterday.

Luna

That salad looks divine! What is the leafy herb in the last picture? Is there a condiment bar for these items?

Oregano. I presume because I didn’t use any. The red pepper flakes add some real heat; I used some to cut some of the richness of the ricotta.

When I’ve gotten pies to go I’ve gotten a plastic tub of a granulated parmesan and one of the pepper flakes but I’ve never gotten any of the herb.

Not a condiments bar that I know of; a plate is brought out with each pizza (or slice).

Forgot to mention - I saw it when they opened but forgot, the owner is the guy who also owns all the Barnaby’s and Brown Bag Deli’s.

Seems like a lot for a slice. I need to get here, it’s next to Fat Bao I believe?

Yes and Yes. Same shopping center, anyway. I remember you reported on Fat Bao but I haven’t gotten there.

Today was oil change day at Blalock Texaco which means a short walk to Polonia. I opted for the pork cutlet sandwich served with a small salad and two sweetish pickle halves that are very good. The sandwich was delicious as was the side order of a cold shot of Belvedere Polish vodka.

Don’t be tempted to order to order the veal over the pork as an entrée. Trust me, the pork is better.

The billboard at the Polish church is already touting the fall harvest festival September 15-17.

http://poloniarestaurant.com/

2 Likes

Torta Cubana from El Mapache (the Racoon). One of the best taco trucks in my part of town, known for their barbacoa.

As best I can remember: carne (probably ‘fajita’ meat), jamon (thin slice of packaged ham, likely FUD brand), queso (whatever it was, it was very, very, very, very stretchy), salchicha (wiener, likely FUD brand), lettuce, tomato, grilled onion, mayonesa, avocado. Enough for two meals. When I tried to separate the two halves I hadn’t cut all the way through and the cheese was pulling everything out of the sandwich.

There are several units by this name and some other operators who try to take advantage of the name. This (authentic) one just recently popped up on Hillcroft @ Bellaire, right across Hillcroft from the big FIesta.

2 Likes

Free pickle soup on Wednesdays! Weee!

1 Like

Lunch yesterday from Simply Viet, 10830 W. Bellfort @ Wilcrest. Very small shop, very small menu, very chatty cashier.

Didn’t get a good picture - couldn’t get the sandwich to stay open so I could show more of the inner workings. There was at least a third of a cup of cilantro - I loved it. That’s the Simply Pork Banh Mi.

Good ingredients; I especially liked the bread. They use the lighter Vietnamese style baguette, less crusty and chewy than the French baguettes that are used by so many places.

Not a destination place but I’m happy to discover it so I can get a banh mi fix without having to deal with the traffic in Chinatown.

It’s been open a year but I’m just noticing it. They get as good ratings as Roostar, which I want to try, also.

Simply Viet

2 Likes

We braved a Sunday afternoon downpour and went to our second favorite Mexican restaurant, El Jardin on Harrisburg seemingly in the shadows of the ship channel bridge. The place was packed with families and I was proud to be the only Gringo until the Wifeacita pointed out a white lady, at least she was married to an Hispanic, go figure.

The chips and salsa were excellent as always, bad ones are a deal killer for me at a Mexican restaurant.

We split queso flameado and carnitas, perfectly tender with a slight crisp on the outside. They’re sliced instead of the chunk variety and were the best I can remember having. Carnitas are like BBQ, never the same on consecutive days.

I urge you people to go if you have a free afternoon. Take Canal Street, zero traffic.

3 Likes

Forgot to mention we also had a beef enchilada a la carte, which was very good. The Wifeacita never had the joys of Tex-Mex with her parents being from Mexico. She had to be introduced by a second generation Pole to wonders such as chile con queso, beef enchiladas, and crab enchiladas.

She also never experienced the wonders of the ostiones=oysters in Spanish. According to Merriam-Webster ostiones are a masculine noun.

It’s spelling bee time.

“Can you use ostiones in a sentence?”

“Those ostiones sure are some manly bivalves.”

Other foods foreign to her were boiled crabs, crawfish, and lobster. She is a master picker of them with not a shred going to waste, she takes the big crawfish claws to work.

1 Like