What's For Lunch Houston?

I agree dim sum good looking ducks. I’m in.

I’ve never done just dim sum, would be interested especially with a veteran or two. Fung’s has it every day I think, but Saturdays and Sundays are a dim sum zoo, just tons of people and moving carts.

1 Like

Ok. I’m gonna try to set up something “with an expert.” Any weekends in Apr when folks are out of town & can’t make it.

I can’t do the first two weekends in April, and Saturdays are best. Thanks for doing that.

Did someone mention poblano soup? So. Susceptible.

At Danton’s - with lump crab, cheese and tortilla strips.

2 Likes

Well this has all the appearances of being a Lambowner lunch log, but nonetheless, I leave another lunch here since this restaurant has had lots of press and doesn’t need its own comment, I don’t believe.

Although I’ve been cooking a lot and brown bagging leftovers (the most delicious Hatch green chile chili recently), I was let out alone around lunch time and decided to try a place that has been on my list for a couple of years (a real physical list since my memory of places I am interested in can be awol on occasion).

So Fat Bao is located on Richmond at Kirby behind Little Papasitos and wedged between two other places that are on my list: Sushi King and Luna Pizza which opened to glowing reviews a while ago.

Fat Bao is order at the counter and take your glass and number to the drink fountain and table. Craft beers are sold in the container. The dining area is small, so it was risky going at noon, but still I beat the crowd of 98 percent men on this weekday.

I ordered the Crabby Daddy bao (5.50) which seemed to be the odds on favorite on Yelp, and the roasted duck bao (5.00) because I like duck bao. The crab had Asian slaw on it with a spicy mayo and the duck had bacon, cucumbers and hoisin.

Both were delicious, the crab was hot and crunchy, the duck was tender, moist and deeply flavored. I ordered the onion rings after seeing a picture online, they were really for 3 people it seemed but they were great with a tempura type batter on them and served with a “kimcheenaise” sauce.

It was all that I’ve heard and more. I’ll be back.

1 Like

Those look soooooo good. Ima hafta do that soon.

While you were Fat Baoing, I was also eating onion rings back at Willy Burger in Katy.

Love that place. Thanks Jaymes.

1 Like

It’s on my list!

I would like to see pictures though!

(From their website.) :wink:

1 Like

Oh those rings look great.

They are.

And the burgers aren’t nearly as greasy as they look in that photo. I’m sure they brushed it with butter or something for the photo, but the burgers are outstanding.

This was my third visit and I’ve had a regular Willy Cheeseburger, a Bacon Blue Cheese Burger and the Hee Haw with fried green tomato, pepper jelly and pimento cheese.

The fries are the skinny, crispy kind. Great with too much salt and just a little ketchup.

Confession: We split a burger so we could also split a full order of Onion Rings and a full order of Fries. We ate all of the Onion Rings but left a few Fries.

1 Like

I dvr Bucket List faithfully and don’t recall that episode! (looking at the web site)

I was looking for some bangers for St. Pat’s Day and found a selection at the British Isles store in the Village and Spec’s Smith St. Deli. I opted for the latter when I saw this sandwich on the menu (okay, I also wanted to get some Irish Cream).

“Classic” - ??? - French baguette instead of Pan de Cubano (with lard), dijon instead of yellow mustard, and not pressed at all and they call it a classic??? Oh well. It was a very good sandwich, as sandwiches from Spec’s tend to be, and I’d order it again.

The menu said it would be pulled pork but obviously there’s a slice of roast pork in there.

2 Likes

I saw the recent Gastronaut post about Aga’s; I hadn’t been in several years and had never heard of the goat chops so it was time for a visit. When I used to go to Aga’s the service was very gruff, the food tended to be very oily but was good. Then there came about a change of ownership. Service got very solicitous and the food went downhill. There has been another ownership change. My very nice young waiter said about 5 years ago which would make it the day after I last went??? Maybe it wasn’t that long. Anyhoo -

The salad and raita.

This is the goat chop and rice combo plate - a solitary chop, vegetable rice, tomato curry (mild) and a tamarind/date sauce. There isn’t much meat on goat chops and my serving was pretty skimpy but very good - juicy and flavorful. Most of the pics online on Yelp show larger sized chops but many of those are professional shots uploaded by the owner so perhaps somewhat idealized representations.

I wasn’t sure what to do with the sauce - I wasn’t inclined to slather it on the chop so I just dipped some naan in it from time to time.

The naan here used to be rather thick and heavy and I frequently passed on it. This is a big improvement as far as I am concerned.

It used to be counter service but now table service is offered although the counter with registers is still there and I guess you could order to-go there.

Aga’s

1 Like

I bought some of their frozen bangers and didn’t like them at all.

My favorite naan so far is at London Sizzler, the bullet naan, which is very hot chiles, garlic and tons of ghee. Delicious.

I had some years ago from there and didn’t expect to ever buy them again but there was an interesting thread on eGullet so I thought I’d give them another try. Couldn’t find any bangers actually labelled Irish, though.

The two places carry pretty much the same products. Note the Harold Woods brand is produced by the firm Del Vecchio in the well-known British metropolis of Houston, TX. :astonished: Hey, I used to live in that zip code and never knew it was an British neighborhood!

This variety has white pepper but no black pepper. With 12% ‘cereal’ you have to cook them well done if you don’t want a mushy interior. That and with a good bit of browning and some more cracked white pepper they were enjoyable. I liked the white pudding a little better.

Still, I wouldn’t be surprised if I find the unused portions of both of these in my freezer come St. Pat’s day next year.

They have the bullet naan at Aga’s but I almost always just go wtih plain ol’ naan. Next time I do want to try the sheermal mentioned in the article. I’ve never had that.

I’ve never noticed Aga’s there, very close to Lopez and that osteria.