What's For Lunch Houston?

Pizza looks pretty good. I drive by the Montrose location on Richmond sometimes - never looks busy.

[quote=“Lambowner, post:181, topic:8657”]
The place is cement floor chic:
[/quote]:laughing:

1 Like

Gumbo at treehouse came cool 15 mins after my girlfriend’s tacos arrived. Otherwise it would’ve been pretty good. What is with service lately? I will return again and again for solid service. The LK in San Felipe does not suffer this issue.

1 Like

Phorgot the photo

1 Like

It looks good but what is the food just SW of the bread. Fifteen minutes late and cool no Bueno.

Fried oysters.

I love some oysters simmered with the gumbo but have never had fried, then again I’ve never met an oyster I didn’t like except the cruelly chopped ones.

It was a little odd, they were pretty soggy by the time they arrived.

1 Like

Soggy oysters? Are there attorneys that will take on such a vicious crime?

2 Likes

Good looking roux, though.

1 Like

It is. The whole dish would be amazing if they didn’t have service issues.

Back to El Tiempo for lump crab nachos (6). First time I’ve ordered the nachos and the size was good for me. On the patio at 75 dry degrees at the 1308 Montrose location. Going back to work was hard. I love crab. This is the only place I’ve found in recent years that doesn’t have an ammoniated taste to the crab.

IMG_9954

3 Likes

That’s a lot of crab! We like the refritos on the side with the Wifeacita being a bean aficionado, their version is very good.

We’ve been getting the crab enchiladas lately. They remind me of the off menu special at the former original Ninfa’s on Navigation in the 70’s and early 80’s.

I like the refritos at El Tiempo too I found recently! I usually don’t eat the beans and rice cause it’s too much, but boy I tried them recently and ate them all first. Naw, I don’t think they are cock-a-block with lard at all! :drooling_face:

I adore this place. Italian owner, cooks and all staff. Best pizzas in town, house made pastas, octopus, veal, amazing menu. I will be very sad if it closes and way out West Westheimer, it doesn’t get a lot of traffic. The shepherd location closed due to building issues. It was leaky. 4 seasons pizza is my favorite.

I love that place too, great service and wonderful food. Each bite a symphony of flavors and scents.

OK, I’m kidding. What place, Lambsy?

Is it Mascalzone?

Well she wanted to keep it a secret so it wouldn’t get too popular and busy and you’ve gone and given it away!:zipper_mouth_face:

Oh dear. My age is showing. Yes, Mascalzone.

Also, later I went by Sam’s Burgers Fries and Pies on Dairy Ashford by Hebert’s and picked up a piece of chocolate cream pie. The pies are great.

But I noticed that Hebert’s serves lunch, poboys and such. I don’t know why I never noticed that. Has anyone been? I’ve only been in the grocery section.

Any New Mexican cuisine lovers here? I love to visit our neighbor state for a different take on fusion Mex/US food. I visited Santa Fe last year and loved the food. There is a pea that was served with almost every meal it seems, but I can’t recall the name of it.

Anyway, to my knowledge there is only one New Mexican restaurant in town and I went for lunch. Santa Fe Flats has been on my list for a long while, it’s at 249 and Louetta in the Tomball area and I finally made it.

I was pleasantly surprised the food was quite good and I’ll return. The first question in NM is often, “red, green or Christmas?” so my intention was to get some red chile sauce stacked enchiladas. But I ordered the chopped green chile and chicken stuffed rolled sour cream enchiladas that came with rice and posole which I loved and ate first. I had convinced myself I didn’t like posole but this rich red chile sauce stewed pork dish with tiny hominy was delicious.

The chips came with a red salsa with big pieces of sweet onion and cilantro and a cilantro creamy dipping sauce that was thin, thinner than you find say at Chuy’s.

Tex Mex also available, sand box and margaritas on a large front patio for frazzled parents.

1 Like

There are now 8 locations in town of BB’s Cafe, a Tex-Orleans eatery, and yet I haven’t been.

This place is awesome. I had a small order of 5 jumbo uber-crispy panko breaded fried shrimp (for a very reasonable $12.95) with a side of perfectly spiced red beans and rice. I only wish there were more beans and less rice.

The shrimp comes on a bed of skinny fries with a garlic toast. That little cheesy garlic toast was fantastic. A+

IMG_0097

1 Like