What's For Lunch Houston?

Did you go to the little one on Eldridge? We used to have lunch pretty regularly for the Tuesday special - half a poboy and a cup of gumbo.

I like it very well. When available, the soft shell crab poboy is excellent.

I did! It’s fairly new though I thought. The Tuesday special is now a crispy chicken with cajun cream gravy. I debated that choice. I’m excited about the soft shell, it’s a favorite.

I then drove down Memorial between Eldridge and Hwy 6 to the post office and was so saddened by the destruction. Whole neighborhoods deserted with security companies manning the entrance roads, damaged restaurants and office buildings empty. Even Kickerillo’s estate is destroyed. I wonder how many will return. Cafe Benedicte was there a long time and it’s demo’d.

1 Like

Yeah, I drive that stretch fairly often. It’s actually pretty clean now. It was a LOT worse a month ago.

I have been intending to get there for years and have never made it. Thanks for the report.

I had seen this list recently and made note of it.

I’ve been to most of those but there were a couple I’d never heard of. I was in the mood for a sandwich recently and headed out to Barbar to try the Chicken Francisco.

I do not want to say the bread was the best part of the sandwich but I loved the bread. Light crust, nice and soft. I think this is the only sandwich they use this bread on. Chicken breast, lettuce, mayo, pickle tomato, kernel corn and mushrooms. The menu said there would be cheese but there was none; menu didn’t mention mushrooms. Whatever. A good sandwich. I thought the addition of a little bit of kernel corn to add a little crunch was neat.

Fattouche - supposed to be a bread salad using up leftover pita bread. The thin bread had been baked until it was crisp and shattery, making it impossible to get into the mouth except by scooping. Coulda used a spoon instead of a fork. Dressing was very tart lemon with a little olive oil and then pomegranate syrup was drizzled over it all. It was over-powering to me. I generally prefer subtler salad dressings so wouldn’t order this again. To each his own.

Barbar

Pollo Asado, Medio, con chile, cibolla, arroz, charros, salsas, tortillas de maiz y limon

from Pollos y Tacos La Bala, mobile unit on S. Post Oak @ Willow

Muy sabroso.

2 Likes

Patrenella’s for Milanese with mozzarella relish, spinach and angel hair pomodoro.

1 Like

I was reading somewhere about Ramen Jin recently, and when I saw the street sign for it I pulled in for lunch. I still had a hard time finding it because there’s no signs anywhere on the frontage of the restaurant or even inside. Strange all the other stores have signs above the doors.

Anyway, it’s on Westheimer at Wilcrest near the new rotating sushi bar. I had the spicy miso. It was very hot and satisfying. This is definitely a no-frills place.

1 Like

Well the food looks interesting, not the seating :smirk:.

I gotta admit, this is the first time I’ve had ramen in a restaurant and not out of a cardboard cup from aisle 4 at Kroger, so I have nothing to compare it to but it was pretty darn lucious, the noodles were realy silky and the broth has lots of flavor, but as many say on Yelp (which I looked at after), I added salt and some seasoning from a shaker on the table.

1 Like

HI think I’ll start a 2018 thread for lunches on Monday!

Le Colonial opened with a bang this year and is the new darling of River Oaks. In fact, one writer suggested that it is responsible for the shuttering of Salt Air seafood restaurant as the tony crowd was distracted by this shiny new spot.

The lunch was good, not great. The squash soup was really sweet, the baguette for the banh mi was not crunchy and that disappointed my DH. The baguette was from Slow Dough. The crispy pork and shrimp rolls were very good and the green curry shrimp was very nice.

However, you will pay 1/3 the price at virtually ANY other Vietnamese place in greater Houston. Someone’s got to pay the rent here in the River Oaks District Shopping Mall, and that’s you. And the crowd was, as expected, the landed gentry, which makes me a tad nervous. I loved the dining room though and we had the cutest little corner table.

1 Like

The green curry looks good. What are the drizzles on the squash soup?

Interesting about Salt Air; that one did come and go pretty quickly. I thought from what I read it was as much about being seen as it was about eating good food.

Sweet coconut cream and not sure what the red was, it was slightly spicy. Pumpkin seeds.

1 Like

I had lunch today in Huntsville at the recommended

Los Pericos.

You don’t see gorditas too often round these parts.

By the way, Bob Luby’s closed last month. :confused: Also checked out the fancy new HEB. People coming in with insulated bags from miles around. Nice place.

IMG_0569

3 Likes

Sorry for your loss. I checked out the Yelp photos and the food looked good, especially the crawfish etouffee pasta.

I worked a rare late shift so I’m up watching World Series game 2 and the Astros have a slim lead.

I have my fingers crossed that they pull this one off and fingers and toes crossed that they win it all but as a long suffering fan I won’t believe it.

2 Likes

“I have my fingers crossed that they pull this one off and fingers and toes crossed that they win it all but as a long suffering fan I won’t believe it.”

:open_mouth::open_mouth::zipper_mouth_face::baseball::baseball:

1 Like

Ula’s on Washington closed. There are better business plans than opening a Tex-Mex eatery across the street from the very popular El tiempo, home of Senior Oyster.

1 Like

….and the Wifeacita in her happy place, the corner spot at the bar.

1 Like

Any update on Polonia: I was on Blalock this week and thought I would run by Polonia for lunch. Checking their website, they are still closed from the pandemic. The grocery is open. I do not have high hopes that Polonia will reopen as a restaurant. So sad.