Restaurants That Have Closed in Houston (and Greater Houston Area)

I went once, for sure. (May have gone ages ago when it was on Griggs across from Palm Center; we had relatives on that side of town).

After reading Robb Walsh’s Tex Mex Cookbook, I went around trying a lot of the old line places that were mentioned in that book. This place and Larry’s down in Richmond were two of them. Just once was enough. When I want classic Tex Mex, I’ll stick to El Real, thank you, and maybe Lopez. A couple of years later, I went to Don Teo on 34th. I read somewhere that they use the recipes from the original Monterrey House chain. That was my first experience of Tex-Mex in the 50s and my family was crazy about it. Thursday night became Tex-Mex night, with take-out from Monterrey House (I don’t think we ever ate in the restaurant - they may not have had a dining room) before my parents went bowling. Amazing how bland all of these taste to me now; back they, it was considered so bold and spicy. I just don’t get the fascination with this very old school Tex-Mex. I’d take Pappasito’s before any of these.

1 Like

Last time I went there it was just inedible (cheese enchiladas), but people love it.

Well this is sad. I only made it once, but enjoyed it.

I’m pretty sure that I suggested New Mexican/Southwestern cuisine as the next big trend in Houston, so…

Yep, even though I didn’t know they existed, I killed 'em.

I believe I was a naysayer on your restaurant killer suggestion with Tex-Mex firmly entrenched and Mex-Mex getting more popular.

However, you might not be a restaurant killer after all. I read some Yelp reviews and the wounds may have been self inflicted by new ownership.

There were many one star reviews by people that loved the place expressing displeasure with service, stale chips, margaritas, etc. since the ownership change.

1 Like

Interesting, I posted abut my visit in November and none of those issues were a problem then and the new owners had recently taken over. Still had $2 margs, the posole was amazing. I wonder what happened, probably inexperienced new owners. It must be a huge expense to buy a restaurant and close it within a year!

For a truly horrible description of Mother’s Day, just two days ago, read Kacie’s Yelp review. Wow.

The owner responds to many of the negative reviews and in one he said they changed management companies in March.

Sounds like a recipe for litigation.

Sorry that it’s gone and that I never made it for all the years it was open.

I know Barnaby’s has Green Chile Cheeseburgers - can’t remember if I’ve had one! I’m sure I’ve seen them on other menus, too. Likewise I’ve seen Green Chile stew on menus, …I think…

Given the huge popularity of Hatch chilies here, you’d think there’d be more places serving the dishes they’re most associated with???

El Real has West Texas style stacked enchiladas. Do those differ from New Mexican only in the types of chilies used for the sauces?

Could be, though green chiles are popular in El Paso too. Whataburger does a seasonal green chile burger there, not sure about here. Chuys has a green chile festival each year with a roaster in the parking lot. But I like the red NM sauce.

1 Like

Not closed yet but only a week to go. Another place I never got around to checking out. I believe it’s been on my list for Fish and Chips for a long time.

I went to Queen Vic a year or so after it opened. I wasn’t impressed with the food, and not interested in a pub.

Noooo, not a restaurant but one of my favorites, Kegg’s Candies is biting the dust.

That’s so sad…

1 Like

Bad news Lambsy.

This is terrible! Our longtime favorite waiter there puts a reserved sign on “our” table for us. I need to go before it closes and find out where he will be assigned. :pouting_cat:The other locations are so dark inside, which I just can’t stand! 1308 has a brightly lit bar and patio at least. Darn.

1 Like

I feel for you. I’ve lost so many of my favorite places in the last few years I’ve lost count. I plan on going to Antonio’s Pizza in the next few days and I hope they don’t shutter the doors by then.

Best wishes, jc. You have been losing a lot lately. I still haven’t gotten over Louisiana Foods.

2 Likes

Didn’t they originally announce that one would be closing when they opened the one on lower Westheimer? Sorry for your loss. I’ve never gotten around to going to El Tiempo so I still have no idea what I’m missing.

I drive through the intersection of N. Post Oak and Westview at least once a week and instinct tells me to turn right toward Louisiana Foods instead of turning left toward Hempstead.

The gentleman at the counter called me mister and I always gave him a propina of a couple of bucks and was rewarded with an amouse bouche of a couple of shrimp, crab balls, tenders, etc.

I still haven’t found a place for shucked oysters at a reasonable price without a trip to Seabrook. My quest will continue in the fall.

1 Like