What's For Dinner #99 - the Orange is the New Black Edition -October 2023

Delicious harissa pork chop and jasmine rice with peas. Serious case of eyes bigger than stomach: ate less than half of the chop (but I did gnaw on the bone!) and tons of leftover rice and peas. Yay! Easy lunch tomorrow.

Saw these in the store today - has anyone tried??

22 Likes

That chop looks great and gnawing on the bone is the best part
( that reads really weird when typed out).

4 Likes

I like that brand - especially the beef. Very juicy.

2 Likes

I love the fact that you use paper plates.

Two “wrongs” don’t necessarily make a right, but at least I can tell my other half there is another “wrong” out there in the universe.

4 Likes

After a day of running around (albeit on an almost cliché golden, sunny October day), neither of us felt like making anything, so we went the lazy takeout route & ordered from the local sushi/udon place we tried last week for the first time.

The “spicy” salmon tartare wasn’t (unless one finds sriracha spicy), and a little heavy on the avocado – probably won’t order that again.

The salmon belly and medium fatty tuna nigiri were incredible, as was the yellowtail & escolar sashimi. We also ordered a sashimi roll that was def not needed, and which consists of the following: spicy tuna, yellowtail, seaweed salad, asparagus inside, topped with eel, salmon, avocado, fishroe, scallion, and FOUR different sauces. It sounded good in theory but was a bit of a mess, i.e. impossible to taste any of the single components, and I’m not a huge fan of saucy rolls in general. We each just had a couple of pieces and are saving the rest for lunch tomorrow.

We’ll stick to simpler rolls/handrolls/sashimi & nigiri from now on.

Movie night coming up. Some scary flick, prolly……since it’s October n ‘at :wink:

17 Likes

Super random meal - a bunch of peeled sliced cucumber while cooking, then blistered haricots with adobo seasoning and toasted pepitas, followed by TJ’s cacio e pepe gnocchi. Oddly satisfying. No pic.

12 Likes

Thai crab curry stir-fry from HotThaiKitchen , with jasmine rice and cucumbers on the side. I doubled the crab, so mine was less saucy than hers.

Going in for some surgery tomorrow, so this is the last thing I am going to cook on my own for at least a week or two. BF is going to be manning the kitchen in my stead!

27 Likes

That crab curry looks delicious! Good luck with the surgery tomorrow.

9 Likes

Thank you!

One of my favorite meals (again). Creamy black-eyed peas with sausage. Heavily buttered cheddar jalapeño cornbread and some homemade blue cheese dressing because I felt like it. And don’t let that cayenne fool ya. Hotter than Hades.

18 Likes

Best of luck going through that. I hope you’ve trained him well.

3 Likes

Thanks! He’s more handy in the kitchen than he gives himself credit for, so I feel good about my chances :joy:

7 Likes

Chicken noodle soup from scratch, including the stock.

Making good on my promise to be kind to my future self, I made two extra quarts for the freezer (sans noodles).

23 Likes

Our chef’s take on nicoise salad.

dinner

18 Likes

From one of the Ottolenghi books - root vegetables (carrots, rutabaga, parsnip) oven roasted with curry powder, curry leaves, makrut lime leaves, scallions, lime juice and cilantro. Served with some sausages

17 Likes

Homemade tirokafteri (spicy feta dip). It’s hard to believe something so simple tastes this amazing.

I’ll describe this with one abbreviation: OMG. Best thing I’ve made in a while. Chicken Souvlaki wraps. The tirokafteri instead of tzatziki was a revelation. Maybe not traditional but it brought it over the top. Chicken had a marinade of extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, white wine, paprika, oregano, thyme, and lots of garlic. Skewered and grilled. Fries were air-fried and tossed with grated Pecorino and oregano. I need to make this again soon.

Scotch and soda to drink.

31 Likes

Ginger scallion noodles again, with an egg and broccolini

22 Likes

Grilled chicken thighs, aloo matar and tzatziki. (tasted far better than you might think from the bad plating and photo)

20 Likes

Good luck today and the upcoming recovery weeks! Hope the BF keeps you well fed. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

That looks and sounds incredible, my mouth actually watered. Do you have a recipe for the dip??

1 Like