What's For Dinner #99 - the Orange is the New Black Edition -October 2023

Driving across country in my mom’s car, last night at my niece’s house in STL this was dinner - tuna nachos. Some soup dumplings, steamed broccoli, and sake alongside.

Very delicious
20 Likes

So funny, I was at TJs yesterday after a few months, and panicking they had discontinued my favorite dip, when I noticed they have added Tirokafteri to their offerings. Will try next trip.

1 Like

8 oz block of feta, crumbled
8 oz jar of roasted red peppers, drained
1 tablespoon of red wine vinegar
1 clove of garlic
Hefty scoop of crushed red pepper
Extra virgin olive oil (drizzle while blending until reaching desired consistency)

That simple.

There’s a lot leftover. I need to find another use for it.

17 Likes

Last night’s dinner was Orange Pork (over curry rice) topped with chopped broccoli. I used my new induction pressure cooker for the pork and it works GREAT!! It is so much easier to control the pressure release of the jigger valve/weight with my induction hob over my radiant stove. I am hopeful that someday I’ll be able to replace my current oven/stove with an induction model. For now, the single burner/hob has been doing a great job!!

15 Likes

Korean Brand, Tried their Wontons and Bulgogi Dumplings both where meh. Did not buy again.
If I remember correctly I also have had their Pork and Kimchi and their Spicy Pork both were good. Pan Fried them.

1 Like

Good luck today!!!

3 Likes

forgot the dang anchovies tho :expressionless:

Yum!
What would your perspective be on “a hefty scoop of crushed red pepper”?
This looks like it would be an awesome sandwich spread!

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

I had to replace my cooktop a few years ago, and went with the induction cooktop. It is fantastic. Just as responsive as gas, but better because it heats only the pan that is being used to cook. It takes about 4 minutes to bring a small pot of water to a complete rolling boil. Induction cooks clean whereas gas cooks dirty. My cooking utensils never get dirty like they did when cooking with gas.
It is also much better than cooking with electricity for the same reasons as cooking with gas.

You will never regret switching to induction.

7 Likes

1/4 tsp dried crushed red pepper was listed in one recipe on Allrecipes website. Blogger recipes listed “1 hot red pepper, with seeds” for 10 oz feta.

As Midwestern spice wimps, I’m thinking “the amount perfect for … personal taste” will be 1/8 tsp. to start. :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Oh, I’d say more than a heaping tablespoon. We like spicy. You could also go for diced raw chilis.

It can be scaled back or omitted entirely if you can’t do hot. The flavor comes from the roasted reds.

3 Likes

Thank you… Yes, after using a single induction hob/burner; I really want to replace my current radiant oven/stove top with an induction model. I have started putting some money aside each month, eventually I’ll be able to afford it.

4 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was basa fillet poached in a tomato sauce served over a long grain-wild rice blend, green beans on the side. COTC for dessert.

17 Likes

Lobster ravioli tossed with butter, lemon, fresh tomato and garden chives,. Very nice

19 Likes

Grilled, frozen “Wagyu” burger from Presidents Choice(a gift from my sister) Banquet Burger, aka bacon /cheese burger.
Caramelized onions/cocktail tomatoes/kosher dills/mayo toasted potato roll(not Martins). Side Caesar salad with crumbled bbq chips instead of croutons.
The patty was good, very densely packed ,my reg burgers are way better. Would not buy them but appreciated them as a gift :slight_smile:

20 Likes

Shrimp with feta, tomatoes and pasta

Injured potatoes and some tomatoes that were harvested over the past week.

16 Likes

I had serious doubts about this impulse buy, but it was actually pretty good. Tender/juicy. Probably from the 12% injected solution…

Savory corn fritters made with grilled corn off the cob from the freezer. Dabbed with butter. And maple syrup. A small piece of squash.

15 Likes

Rack of ribs I baked in the oven at 225, then finished on the grill with bbq sauce.

With local green beans and harden cherry tomato salad .

19 Likes

I made chicken and shiitake mushroom clay pot rice, ate some of it, went out for very early sushi dinner to meet a friend, and then came home and ate some more of it :joy:.

25 Likes