What's For Dinner #99 - the Orange is the New Black Edition -October 2023

I hope the new specs meet your specs!

3 Likes

Happy Indigenous Peoples’ Day! Mine was spent waking up too early, trying to work & not getting much, and taking a walk around the nabe with a friend and her adorable pugs.

WFD was har gow from the freezer section at one of the local Asian grocers, plus miso-glazed eggplant that I’ve had on my brainz for a while now for no particular reason. Seemed a great way to use up more of that red miso paste that’s been in our fridge since the late 1820s ;-), and I do love eggplant every which way.

That said, we both found the eggplant a bit dry & one-dimensional. The fresh cilantro scattered on top brightened it up a little, and our buddy’s delectable homemade chili crisp oil for the dipping of the dumplings did double duty & was slathered on the eggplant as well. Wonder what else would make that dish more interesting…

19 Likes

Boneless Wagyu ribeye on the charcoal grill. Late-season garden veg.

19 Likes

Happy birthday, Linda!

3 Likes

Old fashioned chicken soup - cooked the chicken together with onions, carrots and chili to make the chicken broth. Later added broccoli, peppers, carrots, chicken meat, chili and ginger.

14 Likes

17 Likes

My DH made pumpkin mac n cheese with rigatoni, the leftover Mornay sauce, and Velveeta. No pic.

7 Likes

Another no pic meal. Had grand plans of lamb kebabs, pilaf, etc. but was exhausted after a day of assembling furniture and arranging the kitchen at my mom’s new place. So dinner was BLTs, tater tots, and green salad with ranch.

12 Likes

I love how it looks like a slice of wagyu cake.

3 Likes

I suggest par-steaming (microwave) first. It better soaks up the marinade and also doesn’t dry out by the time the interior is tender. Speedier, too.

4 Likes

Cute couple!

2 Likes

I was wondering if I just didn’t use enough of the miso glaze, perhaps. Cooking time wasn’t much longer than 30 min, which I thought was reasonable. These were Chinese eggplants, so they were thinner and smaller than yer ole globe eggplant. I probably should’ve made sure to slather that shit on and get it into all the nooks and crannies :slight_smile:

But really, my main criticism was the one-note flavor of the glaze. Just not very interesting to me.

Try steaming them next time.

1 Like

Yeah, I’d say not enough of the glaze. I like my eggplant a little saucier. This has been my go-to Chinese eggplant recipe and I feel free to fiddle around with the sauce ingredients based on what I have around the fridge. Including miso, chili paste, etc.

4 Likes

Like @ChristinaM suggested in the comment above yours?

I like the caramelization the flesh gets when you roast it.

I love garlic eggplant, and was looking at a recipe for it, but it was a bit too involved for a quick Monday dinner. Thanks for sharing your favorite!

1 Like

Thank you…

After steaming, run a crème brulee torch over the top, or pop it under the broiler for a minute.

1 Like

What other Ingredients were in your Miso Glaze?

Lol. I cut it that way so DH gets all the super fatty stuff, which he enjoys and I would rather not.

2 Likes