What's For Dinner #96 - the Which Marketing Commercial Month Is It? Edition - August 2023

The lobster ravioli was spectacular, and this restaurant is well worth the road trip. We travel about an hour each way, every month, to get to this excellent restaurant. The chef is very talented (and she was working with two broken fingers last night)! She must have used a whole lobster in that lobster ravioli. This dish happened to be a special last night, so I would call in advance if you are thinking of going for this particular dish.

4 Likes

I guess it really depends on the Sichuan place you go to. Our favorite back home makes a killer cumin beef and chongqing chicken that will make your eyebrows sweat. But I agree, no Sichuan food has ever brutalized my tastebuds & insides as much as Thai or Indian (or even Mexican) hot dishes.

I baked a couple of tarts for dinner — well, a tart and a galette, because I have one tart pan at hand.

One tomato and cheese (robiola, taleggio, parmesan, cheddar) tart, one mixed (leftover) vegetable galette with a bit of bechamel, cheddar, and parmesan.

Nice change, and mom especially enjoyed the tomato tart which is good because I’ve been wanting to make it for her for ages, but tomatoes were insanely expensive until last week!

25 Likes

Lemme know how that works out for ya :slight_smile:

I’m not familiar with this salad, but I’d love to try it. I looked it up and there are an overwhelming number of variations. What do you put in yours? Apologies if you posted the recipe before, and I missed it. Thanks!

3 Likes

Pork Chops were on sale (digital coupon) this week for 67 cents/pound. I picked up 12 beautiful thick pork chops (limit) for just over $7.00. I told Sunshine we’ll be having pork chops a couple of times this week.
That being said… Last night’s dinner was baked pork chops with barbecue sauce. I had saved the juice from a can of pickled beets earlier in the week and added that and a cup of water to some Knorr Rice sides. In addition to making it reddish in color, it tasted GREAT!! Corn rounded out our meal.

20 Likes

Piri piri pork tenderloin with sauteed greens, tomatoes, garlic(roasted and fresh) hot pepperoncini and feta. Beauty day for a bbq, coolish temps and lots of sun, but the wasps put the kibosh on those plans :confused:

24 Likes

Old skool lentil tacos and creamy chipotle slaw… Hit the spot.

25 Likes

Bibimbap: rice, roasted mushrooms; kim chi; roasted red onions; roasted carrots; ground bison cooked with cobanero chili, garlic, fish sauce and soy; gochujang; blanched baby red Russian kale w sesame oil. Tasty but way too much, ate half then picked out the good stuff. Leftover fixings.

24 Likes

Tamal and tacos with @rstuart tonight! Battery died before the food arrived. That’s my horchata, made in house.

20 Likes

Yum

1 Like

That looks so appetizing!

2 Likes

At the end of our stay in Strasbourg we were looking for a few nice neighborhood French restaurants - small menu, “simple”, yet high quality cooking, good wine etc. Le Bistrot d’Antoine https://www.lebistrotdantoine.com/ was all what we hoped for - a bit off the tourist part, just sitting outside with some French people. As entrees you just chose your protein and get it family-style served with outstanding mashed potatoes and a zucchini salad. And the ile flottant dessert was off the charts good. Perhaps the best restaurant on our trip.

Soft egg, mayonnaise, green peas

Grilled octopus, garlic, lebanese sauce

Vitello tonnato

Pork chop from Mont Ventoux

Seabass, red peppers

Flank steak, chimichurri sauce

Mashed potatoes

Zucchini salad

Chocolate mousse

Floating islands

22 Likes

Abbreviated dinner, as power went down to about 25% in my townhouse near the end of cooking. Units across the spoke road were at full power, which meant it was an issue with power coming into my row and NOT an issue with just the power into my meter (which would have been on my dime vs National Grid). A guy showed up, tested another unit’s meter; definitely an underground issue, so that’s another crew to deal with issue, but luckily an underground crew in the area.

So the chicken and potatoes were done; the green beans were not. There was wine.

And I rescued the last of the Tillamook Caramel Coffee Crunch ice cream from the downstairs freezer, just in case. :wink:

28 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was a vegetarian curry.

19 Likes

More Canadian King salmon – this time roasted in olive oil with lemon and oregano. Greek-inspired, seasoned potatoes and green beans on the side. We took the lemony basting oil from the fish and drizzled it all over everything.

27 Likes

Raining cats and dogs on the way through Fort Worth tonight. Not a drop when we got to Dallas. Takeout fried chicken w/honey. Turnip greens w/hot sauce and pinto beans. Fresh baked rolls and butter. And a 25 cent jalapeño All on a paper plate. One thing I’ve noticed lately ( or maybe I just never noticed it before). A lot of white plates here. Guess I’ll have to step up my game.:slightly_smiling_face:

21 Likes

Overcast, damp, cool day #3, the perfect day to satisfy my craving for gumbo. Shrimp, andouille and okra, cauli rice. Muffuletta salad salad. My first ever Ramos gin fizz. It was good but I don’t think there will be another.

25 Likes
5 Likes

I’ve eaten dinner out almost every night for a week, but I was home tonight and wanted to cook. Well, prep, really. I had plenty of leftover NYT citrus pesto, and wanted to try it on pasta this time. We used the Sporkful guy’s (forgetting his name now) pasta, the brand new shape he created with Sfoglini, and topped the dish with plenty of parm and some olive oil slow roasted cherry tomatoes. Loved the texture of that pasta.

also made a new batch of kimchi (I think the last one I made was about 7 months old!) i already can’t wait to dig into it.

lastly, made a batch of the Jen Aniston salad (basically tabouli but without tomatoes and added feta, red onion, and pistachios) for my lunches this week. No pics.

22 Likes