What's For Dinner #96 - the Which Marketing Commercial Month Is It? Edition - August 2023

:rofl: Doesn’t matter if it doesn’t “go”. When the itch occurs, you scratch it!

2 Likes

BF’s bday and he wanted nothing to do with any kind of celebration dinner out. But he DID want this pasta we saw last night in a Chef John video, and one i’ve wanted to make for years - Pesto alla Trapanese - a Sicilian pesto pasta made with tomatoes, almonds, basil, a little mint, garlic, olive oil, and pecorino romano. Pic does not do it justice - turned out fantastic - you could really taste the sweetness of the uncooked tomatoes. I made a lot of extra sauce so we’ll be having more this week.

27 Likes

This is the way.

3 Likes

The zooms’ll wear you out.

1 Like

Yes, I’m the sandwich king. Yes, I’m also the chicken cutlet king. But tonight, something different and lighter.

Roasted eggplant (simple: just olive oil, salt, pepper), Fresh Mozz, red onion, roasted red peppers, and my homemade roasted garlic aioli on grilled seeded semolina bread. Making this meatless was much lighter. Thoroughly enjoyed, especially that aioli. No vampires tonight.

Garlic was roasted and squeezed out before work.

On and off rain all day which meant the craziness at work was unpredictable. It went from dead to maddeningly busy and back and forth again a zillion times.

There was a martini. Ran out of Bombay and headed to my trusted back-up, Gordon’s.

28 Likes
6 Likes

When you are in Germany you have to eat at least once “classical” German food (or what many tourists still consider German food even though it might have been correct 30-40 years ago - with the constant addition of immigrants over the last 60 years food today looks now very different)
We choose a small Gasthof in the town of Titisee-Neustadt in the Black Forest called Baeren https://www.baeren-neustadt.de/ which is also part of a small brewery (good pilsner and hefeweizen). The food was actually quite good in a small, charming place

Flammkuchen with Black Forest Ham and Onions

Beilagensalad - Small salad which tends to be served between appetizers and entrees

Veal cutlet with mushrooms and house made spaetzle

Pork cutlets with chanterelles and house made spaetzle

Local Sausages in beer sauce with onions and fried potatoes

Rote Gruetze (mix of berries cooked to jam-like consistency) with vanilla ice cream and cream

Chocolate cake with vanilla ice cream

Local scenery

Local waterfall

24 Likes

Everything looks great, and thx for the timely reminder about having Tschörmen food in Tschörmenni… sadly, not a lot of good southern food purveyors in Berlin, and the siren call of other cuisines has been louder. A little less than 3 more weeks here, tho, so we’ll make a concerted effort to at least get a decent schnitzel or spätzle while we can!

3 Likes

Been way too long since we’ve had dim sum at our favorite Chinatown dim sum joint, new location, same great food.
Various favorite steamed/fried/pan fried dishes but I forgot to snap a pick of the har gow, as we were too ravenous.

17 Likes

A childhood favorite that has endured the test of time for dinner tonight – Frankies. These are parathas rolled up wih saucy meat in a signature sauce, plus pickled onions, chopped green chillies, and a secret spice mix to boot (“frankie masala”).

These were an evening treat of my teens, because the street food franchise that sold them was perfectly located by a gorgeous seaside promenade where we’d take evening strolls in good weather (people-watching, of course).

We had chicken of two varieties and paneer for mom. Hit the spot.

Last night, a friend hosted a small dinner… of seemingly unending courses! After about 6 very diverse appetizer courses, she brought out the main course of potato-stuffed kulchas (like naan, but softer) and chhole (chickpeas). I took dessert: brownies with vanilla ice cream and chocolate sauce. Don’t know how we managed dessert after all that food!

25 Likes

Blood orange and pineapple pizza with beer flight

12 Likes

I missed the entire white asparagus season due to my health issues in the spring, but chanterelles are still very much in season… so I grabbed 400g at the market Friday & made yet another pappardelle ai finferli (tho of course, I made too much pasta again & will therefore have to “suffer” through leftovers for lunch tomorrow :wink:). Just never gets old. Big-ass salad on the side.

Maybe a perfectly ripe peach for dessert later :yum:

26 Likes

Lol we get it already.

Get… what? That I’m happy about a surprisingly good deal for fantastic food at a place I knew nothing about? >hug emoji<

2 Likes

The ice cream menus in Germany are the best.

3 Likes

I’d be crowing about that platter for $16.50 USD too! But I’m still wicked jealous of those ice cream flavah-flavs you’ve been enjoying. I mean, I might be able to find some interesting flavors around me. I’d just have to go out in public, and right now, I’m a bit tired of people asking me for things. Even if it was asking me what types of ice cream scoops I want. :smile:

2 Likes

Looks like a feast!

1 Like

I’d not had Persian food in Berlin before, and the place is located in a fairly expensive nabe, Charlottenburg aka Charlottengrad, so it was a huge surprise how reasonable the prices were, especially for the amount & quality of food we got. Just lovely :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s been… shall we say…a prominent feature since your separate post on the subject :joy::joy:

1 Like

Camping dinner! The usual suspects plus garlic spinach and zucchini. Friends made the kale salad and homemade sourdough.

19 Likes