What's For Dinner #96 - the Which Marketing Commercial Month Is It? Edition - August 2023

Thanks, but no flood insurance, as we’re not in any kind of flood area. I don’t believe any of the companies had it.

But I ended up speaking with the Gov and Lt Gov in the state’s walk-through today, so hopefully some MEMA funds will be forthcoming (as well as FEMA from yesterday’s walk-through ftom our Congressman).

As for files, most are digitized, but there was some loss. :woman_shrugging: Not much we can do about it.

11 Likes

Truly terrible pic of very tasty dinner. String [Romano] bean and chicken stir fry from The Woks of Life, recommended by @Amandarama. My stir fry technique needs work but I will definitely make this again.

26 Likes

It looks delicious!

1 Like

I enjoyed some excellent takeout from a new Palestinian restaurant called The Olive Bistro, in Little Falls, NJ. They replaced Stamna Greek Taverna. It was my first but definitely not my last time. I enjoyed excellent Muhammara, makdous (pickled eggplant), kibbeh, and lamb shawarma platter. It all went great with an excellent syrah.

17 Likes

This time I did do something that @Shellybean posted!

I made my own bing, and served them with kimchi cukes (not pictured). It was hard to get a good shot of both outside and filling, so please excuse the awkward photo. These are the last 3 halves. 9 other halves were consumed.

23 Likes

Curried Halibut, and one of my favourite corn recipes, tonight, Vaghareli Makai, with peanuts, cilantro and turmeric. I omitted the mustard seeds and added cumin and coriander seeds tonight…

17 Likes

Today was Hatch chile day. Cheeseburger, buttered and toasted pretzel bun, chipotle mayo, onion, tomato, beef patty, sharp cheddar and Hatch chile. Potato salad, potatoes from the garden, fresh corn, red onion, Hatch chile, serrano chile, cilantro, sour cream, lime and cummin dressing. Cocktail was a Bramble with home made Crème de Mûre and there was uno cervazo with.

Bicentennial

27 Likes

Yum

1 Like

BF made me aguachile de camarones after a Chef John video we watched, and picked up a couple of oysters as an app. It’s not even my bday anymore! (He said it’s my bday month; I’ve trained him well. :stuck_out_tongue:)

for himself he made a soup with chicken meatballs, egg, and bread. looked tasty, but i think I got the better end of the deal. :slightly_smiling_face:

23 Likes

Last night I made enough chile verde for a week’s worth (I thought for the two of us) as soon as the weather cooled down. A 4.55 # bone in, pork shoulder butt yielded 2.2 # edible product after trimming. I did add the bone back in to encourage all those morsels to end up in the stew. It was delicious and accompanied by a homemade ‘calico/cowboy caviar’ type side using up goodies from the refer. The roommate piled the side on top of the cv on top of the small flour tortillas I bought. That picture was too blurry to put here, so I added my plate. Then, tonight the dotter and the bf visited and pretty much ate twice as much as we ate last night. There maybe enough chile verde

for one more meal for one. It sure goes fast! Next time I'll go for making twice the recipe and freeze half, maybe.
24 Likes

those look fantastic!

2 Likes

Mapo tofu

25 Likes

It looks delicious to me!

5 Likes

Dinner tonight was a halibut fillet, waxed beans and tomato cooked en papillote.

17 Likes

Now that’s a feast! :heart_eyes:

What kind of vinegar do you use in the noodles? Black or plain rice?

Oh my god, that looks good!

I never find those kind of treasures in my freezer. Unless you count random single fish sticks and random chicken carcasses.

Your photography really makes that takeout look stupendous!

1 Like

That’s awesome!

1 Like

Still camping. We had grilled burgers on potato buns topped with sauteed foraged chanterelles, COTC, and bagged Tex-Mex slaw (pretty good, surprisingly). We had that with a really nice light, minerally French red.

28 Likes

I used rice vinegar, just a tiny bit to balance the flavor.

I personally don’t love black vinegar, though I do use it if called for (it’s actually very similar to Indian cane vinegar so it’s not an unfamiliar taste profile, just strong :woman_shrugging:t2:.)

3 Likes