What's For Dinner #95 - the Hot Fun in the Summertime Edition - July 2023

My “gourmet” burger. Buttered and toasted French sandwich roll, on the bottom red leaf lettuce, red onion, prime beef patty seared in bacon grease and bacon. On the top mashed avocado and blue cheese. Leftover potato salad. Dessert was my once every summer treat, a root beer float.

28 Likes

‘Loaded burger’ comes to mind.

1 Like

Mushroom-Swiss Chard Quesadilla (made with white mushrooms, Swiss chard, onion, garlic, ground coriander, Monterey Jack and cilantro). Served with some “Mexican” crema (made from sour cream, mayonnaise, milk and line juice)

18 Likes

Are those radiatore? Thought they were tripe when I first looked.

No bo ssam pics? :face_holding_back_tears:

You don’t eat/like tomatoes?

Last night, salmon using a very old Moosewood recipe, fish in Cantonese bean sauce, keeper recipe, has really held up over time. Wonderful fat FM asparagus, leftover Lucky Peach spicy cold celery and rice from a dumpling-fest with a friend the night before.

27 Likes

I don’t like raw tomatoes. Fresh from the garden. At all.:slightly_smiling_face:

Barnacles!

And shrimp, and also egg salad, radishes and celery (not pictured, because they look exactly how you think they look).

19 Likes

Really?!? I lived off them when I was growing up since my dad grew several rows in his vegetable garden. It IS possible to eat too many tomatoes - I know from experience :wink:

2 Likes

I look forward to tomato season all year, and eat my weight in them for the months of August & September :slight_smile:

Takes all kinds, I guess. We like what we like (or not).

3 Likes

I spent a lovely late afternoon visit to the Museum of Nature yesterday since admission is free after 5:00 on Thursdays. Withe the money I saved I ordered my favourite pizza from a local pizza joint. My pizza of choice was a Mediterranean which includes artichokes, red peppers, black olives and feta cheese. It was paired with a blanc de blanc.

18 Likes

Are you able to can, freeze or sauce them for another time? Gifting to the food bank ot locker in your area?

2 Likes

ah ok, i thought maybe you were going for an al pastor-ish thing.

1 Like

Mixed dinners tonight.

Mom wanted the leftover pizza from last night, so that’s what she got.

We had tacos and mexican rice.

The corn tortillas don’t do well in the freezer, so they didn’t do so well when I tried to make hard taco shells in the oven, and they didn’t do so well when I tried to char them over the flame. Sigh. Still, we managed to eat them even falling apart :joy:

In the tacos: roast chicken refreshed with cumin, chipotle, and aromatics, creamy and tangy cabbage slaw with chipotle, and quick-pickled onions with cilantro.

The rice was the surprise star.

16 Likes

thanks! it’s beautiful! but we don’t have room for another stick of furniture in our apartment.

Did you purchase these or did you forage for these? I’d love to have some, sometime. I hear they are closer to lobster in taste than say, clam or mussel. What did you find out?

and blue corn tortillas! yum!

1 Like

Purchased at Aquabest. They are like a cross between clam and crab, softer texture than clam, not as briny or sweet as crab.

3 Likes

They are radiatore, but you are right they could pass for tripe. If I had more asparagus, morels and favas I might try them with tripe - could be delicious!