What's For Dinner #95 - the Hot Fun in the Summertime Edition - July 2023

Down home cooking here tonight. Sautéed smoked sausage with cabbage. Cornbread with jalapeños and sharp cheddar. Plenty of butter. The fresh out of the garden heirloom tomato, onion and pepper salad doused with olive oil, s&p is his. Homemade pecan pie for dessert. Next time I’ll remember to spray the pie plate with cooking spray before using my usual Pillsbury store bought crust so it doesn’t stick. No fireworks in the neighborhood yet. Usually everyone gets an early start to the 4th.

24 Likes

Duck legs with lingonberry sauce tonight. Parsnip-celery-gruyere gratin, braised new potatoes, sautéed Swiss chard, Waldorf salad, Maritimes-style baked beans from a can (molasses), and COTC. Pecan pie from Farm Boy grocery store for dessert.

14 Likes

my sister and I grilled on Saturday, chicken thighs two ways: Peruvian, and the other with a NYT yogurt/herb marinade, all bl/sl thighs - turned out super juicy. I made aji verde for the Peruvian thighs, lemon for the other. There was also a flap steak marinated in red wine vinegar and garlic, with chimichurri. Corn on the cob too, plus my new favorite - The Jennifer Anniston Salad :joy: with a few modifications: Bulger, cukes, garbanzos, cilantro, pistachios, shallot, cukes, mint, feta, lemon juice, s&p, olive oil. Made a ton of meats for future tacos/SALADS.

grilled chicken dinner

The chicken that marinated in 2% greek yogurt for only about 3 hours turned out super tender, almost falling apart, and with a deliciously creamy texture. BF made a salad with that chicken last night.

and tonight:

Little Peruvian chicken street tacos:

chicken chicken and more chicken!

31 Likes

More freezer and fridge clean-out.

Carnitas with a range of options: refries, pico de gallo, queso, avocado, sriracha mayo, and roasted squash. Storebought tortillas to hold it all together.

28 Likes

Your yard looks just like mine.

1 Like

Roasted chicken thigh seasoned with s&p, paprika with stroganoff sauce. Asparagus, lemon, caper butter. Spinach salad, hbe and bacon, sweet and tangy dressing.

26 Likes

Started making shrimp scampi but then added a zucchini because I am a veggie lunatic. :grin:

28 Likes

Wow!! Please kindly attach eating instructions for how to bite into that beast! :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes
2 Likes

I like it!

2 Likes

Casual dinner with friends over for a playdate. We grilled chicken thighs and made mac and cheese, creamy cucumber salad, COTC (not pictured), and served assorted leftover salads and sauces from last night’s Korean-American feast.

27 Likes

Red Chileatole with mushrooms - You first build the base by dry roasting chiles (chipotle and ancho), tomatoes, onion, garlic and cumin and make a paste in the mixer. The base is mixed with vegetable broth and mixed mushrooms (oyster, shiitake, cremini, button, king oyster), thickened with a masa harina slurry and cooked. Finished with some cilantro.

19 Likes

What in the world would you call that? “Enough?”

Mine

3 Likes

Teenagers and their Tik Tok’s edition. Salmon (broiled) avocado rice bowl. Finished with Kewpie, tamari, mirin and red pepper flakes.

18 Likes

Ta-da! Pork tenderloin and a mango salad.

28 Likes

That salad looks delicious! What type of dressing did you put on it?

2 Likes

Thank you! Nước Chấm. That may have been the best part!

7 Likes

Nước Chấm - my favourite dressing! I will definitely have to make this salad.

1 Like

Please share when you do! I was trying to figure it out from a picture in the link and I’m sure it could use a tweak. I added tomatoes after I took the picture.

1 Like