What's For Dinner #95 - the Hot Fun in the Summertime Edition - July 2023

Bread and butter, and bread with tirokefteri. White nectarines and strawberries after dinner. Maybe some Spumoni later tonight.

14 Likes

Sous vide salmon with teriyaki glaze

Capture.PNG

20 Likes

FIFY

1 Like

New freezer, who dis?

11 Likes

I can think of mischievous combinations with those ingredients.

None of which involves just taking shots of vodka and chasing it with spoonfuls of granita gelato.

7 Likes

Oooo - we’ve been through a kitchen renovation and also a new house build where we occupied the place before permits and plumbing. Creativity and skills learned in Scouts, for sure! Do you have running water?

2 Likes

I made tuna sushi roll bowls with seared sesame tuna, seasoned sushi rice, avocado, ponzu cucumbers, pickled ginger, Sriracha mayo dressing, wasabi, tamari, and a little kimchi for fun.

24 Likes

'We do have running water, hot & cold in the downstairs bathroom. And an electric kettle if we need to boil more. Induction hot plate, 2 grills and a toaster oven.
So far so good. Originally scheduled for Oct/Nov so this is much better than anticipated.

3 Likes

I thought I could handle bread and dip for dinner, but I was craving vegetables. I did a quick takeout from a Lebanese restaurant called Lebanese Garden, which hit the spot. Eggplant , zucchini, potatoes, beans, and fattoush. Unfortunately the fattoush was under the hot stuff. Luckily, I’m okay with wilted or cooked lettuce :joy:

My take-out version looks a little different than the website version :slightly_smiling_face:

10 Likes

Pan-roasted chicken thighs ala diavolo. Cukes and toms with homemade Ranch dressing. Carrot slaw in vinaigrette.

21 Likes

Super basic we-just-got-home meal. Chilled squash soup, squid with peas, shiitakes, red pepper and jarred red curry sauce. Don’t need to think, just need to slice and stir.

14 Likes

Spanakopita. It has been too long. Recipe from Vefa’s Kitchen, homemade phyllo (minus the baking powder called for). I’m actually getting fast enough to consider doing this more often. There’s something very satisfying about streeeeetching those layers of dough.

29 Likes

Zucchini Carbonara - a vegetarian version of the classic dish where golden pan-fried zucchini substitutes for the guanciale. The zucchini has a nice texture and adds some meatiness to dish.

20 Likes

Bean and cheese burritos on fresh made flour tortillas.

21 Likes

I’ve been out for dinner the last 3 nights, and tonight the BF cooked - needed to get back on track! He seared a chicken thigh, sliced it, split it between both our salads, with hearts of palm, avocado, onion, shallots AND scallions, toasted pepitas, and tomato, with his own version of a green-goddess-ish type of dressing. Mini roasted potatoes on the side with a bare glossing of chimichurri. Nice and light on a warm-ish day.

here’s Saturday night’s dinner, homemade, but not by me. A friend’s Bastille Day (plus 1) dinner party - magnifique! he worked on his sauerkraut for a month to make choucroute garnie with pickled brussels as well, and topped with duck legs confitted in duck fat, garlicky sausage, and pork shoulder. So delicious. He also made a salad with pickled lamb’s tongue, garlic soup laced with duck fat, blue/white/red cheesy mashed taters (!), roasted hen-of-the-woods mushrooms, and apricot ice cream for dessert. another friend brought a cherry clafoutis, too (which i didn’t get a pic of). i contributed Champagne for the pre-dinner nibbles, which included pickled garlic cloves and pickled kohlrabi, and a dry Riesling for dinner to go with the Alsatian main. Our host made Blood & Sand cocktails with Heering, both of which were new to me, and delicious! a lovely time was had by all.

Damien - apps

Damien - Blood & Sand cocktail

Damien - Heering

31 Likes

Lovely dishes!

2 Likes

Today was a day off where I got a lot done and even had time for the beach, though the air quality was so poor, none of NYC was visible in the distance.

Haven’t had burgers since July 4th so we fired up the grill. Bacon-mushroom-Swiss it would be. I Debated adding the red onion and tomato, but couldn’t help it. Certainly didn’t hurt. And also street corn in foil. And fries in the air-fryer.

My drink tonight was a couple of Bombay Sapphire Martinis on the rocks since it was so hot and humid out. And also a Macanudo cigar while cooking. Cheers.

29 Likes

That is heavenly to me! Love those flavour combinations.

1 Like

Saucy veg.

1 Like

Holy crap I wanna faceplant those shrooms :heart_eyes:

1 Like