What's For Dinner #95 - the Hot Fun in the Summertime Edition - July 2023

what a fabulous dinner…

2 Likes

be still my heart…

1 Like

Stir-Fried Shrimp and Asparagus (with scallions, ginger, chili-garlic sauce, oyster sauce, toasted sesame oil and sesame seeds)

21 Likes

a rare occurrence, BF’s dinner wasn’t our favorite. I’d bought a premade polenta log, and he sliced it, pan fried it, then topped with a tomato/garlic/oregano blend he’d tried out on something a week or so a go, which we loved, and shaved parm regg. he used too much garlic this time, turned out sharp and bitter, overpowering, especially paired with the blandness of the polenta rounds. I could only eat one.

His salad was romaine hearts with a hot vinaigrette, fresh bacon bits, pine nuts, a little sheep/cow’s creamy cheese and a poached egg. i don’t think hot dressing works well on a green that’s so watery (as opposed to spinach, say), ditto the poached egg. None of it was awful, just not his best. shhhh don’t tell him… we’re all allowed off nights!

23 Likes

First local corn of the year. We’re so happy!

Rest of the plate:

Cold steamed shrimp app

Cod with old bay and butter

Fried potatoes

Ice cream :slight_smile:

28 Likes

My monthly lecture series at a local historic garden once owned by a famous mobster continued tonight to a capacity crowd. There was a Tanqueray Martini at home to celebrate. I got to meet a descendant of one of the local Prohibition gangsters in my talk who was in attendance. This is the second time this has happened since Prohibition really was not that long ago. She showed me some pictures of him I had never seen, one of which I can add to the presentation (and is below since it concerns drinking), and told some incredible stories. But I was asked not to repeat them publicly until she is dead! :zipper_mouth_face:

For dinner, B-Y-O pizza night after the lecture. I made a Shrimp Scampi pie for myself, mom had mushrooms and onions, and BF loaded his up with pepperoni, black olives, and onions. I used Rao’s sauce for theirs but left mine “white”. While we used Stonefire crusts for the pizzas (much better than similar ready-made crusts such as Bobboli-- I would buy again), he made garlic knots from scratch and fried up some wings. Amazing aromas in the house tonight.

My breath could probably kill a vampire right now. :toothbrush:

33 Likes

Last night’s dinner was peanut butter noodles with cucumber, chopped peanuts and chili oil.

24 Likes

For health!!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cent’anni, @PedroPero !

14 Likes

After having dined out the last couple of nights, it was time to get into the kitchen!

Abendbrot aka German-style dinner with fabulous bread and cheeses from the farmers market & the Italian market, plus a salad on the side cuz I needs it :slight_smile:

The bread has a wonderful crust & a fluffy inside - a great match for the perfectly ripe Bavarian goat brie, Taleggio, Schabziger Kleekäse (an amazing cheese with clover), and San Daniele ham.

27 Likes

Grazie mille :slight_smile:

1 Like

My guess is that he should have removed the garilc sprout(s).

Checked out a local shelter again. Finn remains an only child…for now. :cat:

My oregano and thyme are doing gangbusters, so a large handful of both were used in some Greek Lemon-Oregano-Thyme Chicken and Potatoes (included minced rosemary, parsley as well). Roasted at 425° until done.

Sauteed fresh corn, red bell pepper, sugar snap peas, and red onion, tossed with olive oil and a bit of butter, and seasoned with dried marjoram and savory, with s/p and Penzeys’ roasted garlic powder.

V&L for the libation.

OK, two of them. :wink:

27 Likes

Shrimp Linguine with Herbs, Corn and Arugula from the NYT sounded like a great way to use summer vegetables now that there is so much local produce. This dish came to together very quickly. Cooking the pasta was about the longest step. I did make a few adjustments to use what I had on hand. CSA spinach stood in for arugula and penne for linguine. My Thai basil and tarragon are getting wild so they subbed for the basil and mint suggested in the recipe. This definitely is one of those recipes that you can make your own.

24 Likes

We enjoyed another outstanding dinner at Cafe Panache, in Ramsey, NJ, after a long 6 month break. We enjoyed Lobster; pistachio encrusted lamb; sweet corn agnolotti; lobster bisque with mussels; garlic shrimp with avocado; and coconut cake for dessert. It all went great with an excellent red blend and cabernet.

17 Likes

Italian-style sandwiches on freshly baked focaccia: genoa salami, ham, provolone, spinach, pickled peppers, and a roasted red pepper and fresh basil “aoli”. That mayo spread was delicious - good enough to eat out of a bowl with a spoon.

On the side: cucumber slices, carrots in vinaigrette, and our first garden tomato of the year.

25 Likes

Cooling down here -76* - a little rain - We need it. Cajun grilled shrimp and cotc. Small baked red potato with butter and sour cream. And very horseradishy cocktail sauce.

And thanks to some of the people on this thread I made a half batch of fresh tomato spaghetti sauce… Just to see how it would turn out. It’s been years. Looking and tasting great. Thanks again for the gentle push. There ain’t no stopping me now with those darn tomatoes.:slightly_smiling_face:
!

28 Likes

Steamed carp.

14 Likes

Braised butter melon

10 Likes

The sun decided to make an appearance today after days of fog so I grilled. Pork tenderloin kabob, marinated in gochujang, onions and peppers. Asparagus, sesame oil and seeds. Cabbage, pickled daikon and carrots, snow peas slaw with rice vinegar, red chile paste dressing.

21 Likes