What's For Dinner #95 - the Hot Fun in the Summertime Edition - July 2023

If there’s a chance it’s muscular, might try sleeping on a heating pad. Hope it’s a distant memory very soon!

3 Likes

We found some nice local corn and an heirloom tomato at a farm stand this morning. Second time making Ina Garten’s fresh corn salad. Our basil is growing like wildfire. First Caprese salad of the season. Grilled strip steaks. Tasted like summer!

24 Likes

That looks very nice and very summer-y.

2 Likes

Please be sure you drinking enough water, which you probably know. But it is easy in this heat to get dehydrated. Feel better!

2 Likes

Friday night fish
Doctored Teriyaki-sauced baked salmon, ginger garlic shrimp, baked beans, corn, cauliflower.

Followed by a cinnamon sugar cronut, peanut butter brownies from the farmers’ market, and local strawberries.

17 Likes
4 Likes

I saw that foil wrapped fortune cookie there. Sound advice.

2 Likes

Are you dehydrated? Migraine prone? I hope you kick its butt into the next world!

2 Likes

Steak frites at our favorite lil French bistro. Parfait filet bleu au poivre pour moi, entrecôte with tarragon butter for my PIC. The frites are fried in beef tallow, not duck fat as I’d previously assumed. Faboski.

I’ll be back in the kitchen tonight for another chanterelles pasta orgy :wink:

14 Likes

Pork chops with roasted carrots

19 Likes

I cooked, I cooked! Picked up a little under a pound of beautiful chanterelles at the farmers market this morning, the pasta had already been purchased at the Italian market, organic bacon, shallots, parsley & crème fraîche at the supermarket. It was supposed to rain and storm all day & night, but now the sun is out and it’s looking to be a beautiful evening that we’ll be spending… at home :roll_eyes:

Antipasto was burratina with honey tomatoes. Best burrata I’ve had (also from the Italian market), and the tomatoes were from the same pricy farm stand where I got the shroomz. Worth it. #YOLO

The most tender (organic) arugula I’ve ever had with lemon oil, lemon juice, s&p & a little grated parmiggiano.

And finally, the star of tonight’s dinner table: la pasta stupenda :yum:

27 Likes

I drink water constantly at work, and I’ve had several glasses of water today. So it’s not dehydration.

No to both. Although my sister gets auras and migraines. I often get these “pressure headaches” when the humidity and temps are high, as they have been and are again today. Aggravated the headache today doing my errands, so Im inside taking it easy for the rest of the day.

7 Likes

(post deleted by author)

Looks worth staying home for, even if the sun is out!

1 Like

Leftovers from many days of FOOD were wfd last night (uncle visiting after almost a decade and mom wanted to feed him All The Things).

Tonight’s farewell dinner was perhaps his favorite of our family meals, and one of my dad’s favorite dishes to eat and to feed family and friends: jumbo prawns with peas. There were a lot more prawns than I had anticipated when I made the masala and the peas, so it was a bit more skewed than dad’s version :rofl:

And some of the past week’s dinners:

Crab curry and rice:

Fried fish (fabulously fresh pomfret), dal, and rice:

Goan Pork Chilli Fry:

Prawn curry (with potatoes) and rice:

Parsi Mutton Dhansak with ALL the fixings (kababs, fried dried bombay duck, papad, kachumbar):

24 Likes

I keep reading and rereading that menu trying to figure out how it relates to your photos. I must be slow :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

That was just a menu for the day. We were there for the steak frites, obviously :wink:

Ah, OK. Pretty reasonable prices.

1 Like

Not a lot of posts in the last week as they have been mainly repeats. Did forget this from the other night:

Greek apps outside followed by mom’s pastitsio (which we left in a tad too long).

Hoping to cook something tonight. Still undecided on what I want. I’m dining so, so it can be anything.

18 Likes

Shrimp sauteed in the chili/garlic oil I made earlier with some romaine/pickled vegetables/tomatoes/Parm Reg and tossed in a red wine Dijon vinaigrette.
I made the chili oil with fresh chilies that I assumed were hot(gifted to me by my seester) but I’m not sure as I didn’t taste them before I cooked them, maybe they need time to mingle.

17 Likes