What's For Dinner #95 - the Hot Fun in the Summertime Edition - July 2023

He is beautiful! Great coloring…I like Elbie too (if its a vote).

1 Like

You know what I’m like!

1 Like

First tomatoes of the season for us, it has been so rainy in NE, we weren’t sure we would ever see any. The only upside was the lettuce season was extended.
BLTs on the menu tonight, bacon done in the toaster oven, not as crispy as it looks, but on the crispy side.

Kitchen reno has started, here is our set up, with 2 grills outdoors and 1 hot pot for coffee/tea making.

22 Likes

Shaved ice with condensed sweet milk, adzuki beans, mochi, flan, lychees, and almond tofu.

The most delicious and bestest dinner on a hot July summer.

16 Likes

Shrimp and potato stewed with mint, cilantro, tamarind, and chiles. We also had basmati rice and roasted green beans. Some leftovers for tomorrow too, although I may add a dish to round things out.

23 Likes

Please join us in nominating the August COTM here:

2 Likes

Made some Mussels in a white wine sauce with extra dipping bread of course. And some Spicy Corn Ribs to go with it.

Also made some garlic confit for a dinner party this week, but I made enough for every other night this week as well hahah.

24 Likes

Decadent lamb mixed grill: loin chop plus merguez, from posh butcher. Also roasted tomatoes, oil-roasted new potatoes and green beans. So good!!

22 Likes

Back to the grind. Pork tenderloin/romaine salad with a plethora of veggies. Red wine/Dijon vinaigrette/Parmigiano Reggiano.

21 Likes

:::fainting::: Yes!

2 Likes

Thunder, rain, tornado warnings on my phone (but nothing came near me this a.m.), downpours (multiple times) then quiet.

New kitteh and I had a nice cuddle fest. He still won’t come to me when I enter the room, but is OK with me picking him up and settling him on my belly while I read in the 2nd BR for 4 hours while the rain came down and then it cleared. LB didn’t eat his breakfast, which concerned me. We’ll see how he does overnight with his dinner.

B/S chicken breasts were seasoned with s/p and pan-seared in olive oil and butter. Then into the convection toaster oven to bake with a Caribbean Mango sauce I can’t remember where I picked it up from.

Sides were leftover rice pilaf and steamed broccoli.

Wine.

27 Likes

Like they say when it comes to cats: “This too shall pass”.:slightly_smiling_face:
ETA: I always took the saying “This too shall pass” as a good thing. Like from bad to good. But checking it out online now, I’m not so sure. Well, good luck with the kitties.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Does pup like mussels?

1 Like

Bonding beginnings, so far so good!

1 Like

LB looks so happy and content! Congrats!

3 Likes

We enjoyed another excellent dinner at Jessica’s Cafe, including soft shell crab with zucchini pancakes, roasted corn, and Calabrian chili mayo; grilled pork chop with mustard caper sauce, roasted apples, and red cabbage; jumbo lump crab crepe. It all went great with an excellent Shiraz and Syrah.

13 Likes

Pan-roasted Alaskan sockeye salmon. Caesar salad with garlicky, toasted baguette in lieu of croutons. Roasted garden carrots.

22 Likes

Friday’s dinner was just my fam and my parents. Yesterday’s dinner also included my FIL. Wfd was vietnamese rice bowls with grilled pork. Yesterday, I posted the food and the table, and today I’m posting the table and the setting.

We also had the ice cream buffet to end all ice cream buffets. As many of you know, my big little has nut allergies, and he’s never been able to go to an ice cream spot and just get whatever. So I tried to create that experience for him at home. We had 10 pints, chocolate and caramel sauce, whip, choc chips, sprinkles, and cherries! I also realized it was the perfect opportunity to put up a lot of flavors from the same brand (B&Js here) and really compare and contrast in a way that is very hard when you only have one or two flavors at home. Educational experience bonus!

23 Likes

My kind of ice cream tasting <3

2 Likes

It was a Hard Week for me this week. Several things piled up, but the trigger was someone mistakenly convincing us it had been 6 months since we lost Dad (it’s been 5, half a year just hit different, but also thinking I didn’t remember exactly how long it has been).

Anyway, dinner catch-up:

Pasta night yesterday: Burrata and corn ravioi (TJs) for mom, fettucine aglio olio e peperoncino plus shrimp for us, homemade rosemary onion focaccia for all

Parsi feast: Mutton Dhansak, caramelized onion rice, kababs, papad, onion salad, and a rare treat: fried dried bombil / Bombay Duck – the stinkiest of foods in existence (durian’s got nothing on this :rofl:)

Dad favorites: Chutney bheja fry (offal) with fresh pao (dinner rolls), plus kababs from his favorite place

Laksa (doctored heavily starting from a packet)

Chicken wings alla diavola with farfalle and broccoli soup (mom had “desi” pasta)

Masoor (brown lentil) Biryani with onion raita and jowar (sorghum) papad

28 Likes