What's For Dinner #95 - the Hot Fun in the Summertime Edition - July 2023

Wow. Just wow.

1 Like

Glad you posted this. I made it last night and have a terrible picture to prove it. Subbed ground turkey and added a serrano pepper. Absolutely delicious!

1 Like

So glad you enjoyed it! I make it alot!

1 Like

I have a Google Pixel too! I agree it’s a very good cell camera, but we have terrible lighting in our apt. And the only really pretty plating happens with the BF cooks. :smiley:

1 Like

Tostadas with leftover refried beans, beef fajitas, poblanos and onions. Topped with a Mexican cheese blend. Baked until melty. Leftover tortilla chips. Fresh made salsa for him.:slightly_smiling_face: And sour cream.

22 Likes

This summer’s COTQ and DOTQ are up and running!

4 Likes

It’s been a while since I played. We have golden beets with oil, vinegar, and scallions. Lentils with sausage and beet greens, and focaccia. All homemade. Nothing from the garden! Our garden is currently producing snap peas. Lots. They were in our last two dinners.

25 Likes

Used some organic blue corn masa from La Palma, about 2x the price of the regular masa but worth it probably!

1 Like

Carnitas tacos with guacamole.

27 Likes

Panko-crusted, Alaskan halibut on a toasted, store-bought potato bun. Tarter-sauce and arugula. Carrot slaw.

There will be German sour-cherry cake for dessert.

29 Likes

Fried panko coated calamari steak strips, tartar sauce. Sauteed basmati and wild rice, onion, pepper, asparagus and then added chicken broth. Greek salad with creamy Greek dressing. Sangria.

27 Likes

ooh! i’d say yes!

Arctic Char, homegrown basil, tarragon and dill, local but not homegrown tomatoes, homegrown beans and sugar snaps.

28 Likes

what a fabulous dinner…

2 Likes

be still my heart…

1 Like

Stir-Fried Shrimp and Asparagus (with scallions, ginger, chili-garlic sauce, oyster sauce, toasted sesame oil and sesame seeds)

21 Likes

a rare occurrence, BF’s dinner wasn’t our favorite. I’d bought a premade polenta log, and he sliced it, pan fried it, then topped with a tomato/garlic/oregano blend he’d tried out on something a week or so a go, which we loved, and shaved parm regg. he used too much garlic this time, turned out sharp and bitter, overpowering, especially paired with the blandness of the polenta rounds. I could only eat one.

His salad was romaine hearts with a hot vinaigrette, fresh bacon bits, pine nuts, a little sheep/cow’s creamy cheese and a poached egg. i don’t think hot dressing works well on a green that’s so watery (as opposed to spinach, say), ditto the poached egg. None of it was awful, just not his best. shhhh don’t tell him… we’re all allowed off nights!

23 Likes

First local corn of the year. We’re so happy!

Rest of the plate:

Cold steamed shrimp app

Cod with old bay and butter

Fried potatoes

Ice cream :slight_smile:

28 Likes

My monthly lecture series at a local historic garden once owned by a famous mobster continued tonight to a capacity crowd. There was a Tanqueray Martini at home to celebrate. I got to meet a descendant of one of the local Prohibition gangsters in my talk who was in attendance. This is the second time this has happened since Prohibition really was not that long ago. She showed me some pictures of him I had never seen, one of which I can add to the presentation (and is below since it concerns drinking), and told some incredible stories. But I was asked not to repeat them publicly until she is dead! :zipper_mouth_face:

For dinner, B-Y-O pizza night after the lecture. I made a Shrimp Scampi pie for myself, mom had mushrooms and onions, and BF loaded his up with pepperoni, black olives, and onions. I used Rao’s sauce for theirs but left mine “white”. While we used Stonefire crusts for the pizzas (much better than similar ready-made crusts such as Bobboli-- I would buy again), he made garlic knots from scratch and fried up some wings. Amazing aromas in the house tonight.

My breath could probably kill a vampire right now. :toothbrush:

33 Likes

Last night’s dinner was peanut butter noodles with cucumber, chopped peanuts and chili oil.

24 Likes