What's For Dinner #95 - the Hot Fun in the Summertime Edition - July 2023

LOL! I ended up going with nekkid peach cobbler, as I couldn’t be arsed to make whipped cream OR walk downstairs to the freezer in the garage to get some ice cream. Still tasted great!

7 Likes

I am disappointed in you.

Your food is usually so meticulously plated they look like they should belong in the MET or MOMA.

And today you give us this? This?

3 Likes

Looks wonderful! Those yummy brioche buns are getting to be so popular and now hard to find!

1 Like

It’s actually edible!

2 Likes

We didn’t eat it. They were too reluctant, but I was willing, to quote Alan Jackson.

3 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Suggestions for Bourbon choice?

Suggest you start a dedicated thread, since this one is about what people had for dinner.

If I had my way I’d go out to lunch somewhere different every day. I’d choose modern, bright restaurants with innovative dishes and drink prosecco. However, I can’t afford it and himself likes meals at home. I’m the master of using what’s in the fridge so it’s always eclectic. Today was tuna salad with vegetables, sauerkraut, marinated artichokes, baba ganouj, pico de gallo, with olive bread and tortilla chips. I made a lemon soda with lovage, my new favourite herb.

22 Likes

Mish mosh dinner tonight mostly because I was feeling lazy.

Mom wanted a quesadilla – I used chapatis and stuffed them with a mix of salsa fresca, spiced potato, a bit of paneer, and a bit of a mix of melting cheeses. We’ve got single-serving containers of guac in the freezer, so I pulled one out and she enjoyed some of that with the Qs.

Sis has been wanting to try Taco Bell since it came to India and it recently opened up within delivery radius, so we got a couple of things to test it out. Much better than their US offerings.

I also cobbled together Yakisoba of sorts using instant ramen noodles, some vegetables at hand, and chilli paneer from the freezer for a bit more flavor. Pretty tasty.

21 Likes

Pre Bday lunch with my sisters and Bil at our favorite Hakkka restaurant(Chung Moi in Scarborough)
Top- bottom
Shrimp toast- crispy/greasy/spicy/delicious
Vegetable chow mein- delicious and not too greasy
GARLIC mushrooms and snow peas- sooo garlicy and delicious
Chili chicken dry- one of my favorite dishes in the city
Shrimp and lobster sauce- never seen it prepared like this, instead of adding eggs at the end, that topped it with a couple of crispy fried eggs. Delicious!
The best hot and sour soup I’ve ever had in my life, and I’ve had tons. Again a preparation of a dish I’ve never encountered, nice plump shrimps/ tons of coriander(stems and leaves). Hot/sour/crunchy and sofaking good. A “small” serves 4 ppl
The spicy dishes were super spicy but full of flavor, love this place and there’s even some leftovers for later

25 Likes

I just moved it to the Drinks board for @Wtg2retire.

Thanks! It’s a lot more likely to get responses there, I think.

1 Like

Beef cheeks, braised in smoky tomatillo salsa and stock, with corn tortillas and all the fixings. Some leftovers for tomorrow too!

27 Likes

OMG those cheeks look fantastic! Do i see a little pineapple in there too?

1 Like

Yellow tomato - I have those multi-colored grape tomatoes in the house right now. Also, thank you!

1 Like

That looks so classic and delicious. Love the nasturtium blossoms!

1 Like

I hang my head in shame

2 Likes

My go-to cabbage stir fry from Budget Bytes. Good with beef, pork or chicken. Here with ground chicken thighs.

Cabbage, carrots and scallions from the garden.

22 Likes

My local Shop Rite has them in constant supply. Usually $6.99 for six, which is a little ridiculous since that costs more than the ground beef for the burgers. But lately they have been on sale for $3.99, therefore totally worth it.

Side note: Pepperidge Farm makes Brioche buns but they do not resemble anything remotely close.

2 Likes

Drooling. I haven’t seen anything akin to this since we left the BA.:disappointed_relieved: