Suggestions for Bourbon choice?

Gcaggiano Greg Caggiano posted upthread about a Bourbon and Tonic drink that was really good. I am so glad he made that post. I want to try it.and have lots of tonic, but no bourbon.

I know nothing about bourbon and would like some advice, please, as to a good one to purchase TIA for the info.

1 Like

Try Jack Daniels. Technically it’s not bourbon, but Tennessee whiskey. But it’s good.

@Wtg2Retire, I started a new thread for you out of the WFD group, as those who post on this Drinks board are probably best suited to giving you good suggestions!

Without spending an arm and a leg… I like Bulliet and Makers Mark.

5 Likes

I’m very fond of this:

(I like to shop local, even for my liquor.)

Depends on what you want to spend. My favorite is Knob Creek, but my everyday is Evan Williams.

4 Likes

I like Ezra Brooks, it is a fairly good bourbon for a mixed drink but not neat or on the rocks. Bulleit is a good bit better and is pretty good for drinking neat or on the rocks.
You might notice which is the big bottle that i actually drink and which is the medium sized unopened bottle…
Bulleit is not a great bourbon but it is pretty good.
The taste difference between fairly good and pretty good is fairly large while the difference between pretty good and great bourbon is harder to discern for bourbon rookies. And the price difference between pretty good bourbon and great bourbon is huge.

Booker’s 2023-01: Charlie’s Batch

1 Like

I am a Brown Foreman fan so my go tos for every day bourbon and Rye are the 100 proof versions. These run about $27 a bottle in MD. The rye has grown hard to get but the bourbon is widely available. If you want a spendy bourbon, their 1920 from the Whisky Row series is my favorite full bodied bourbon.

I also like Redemption, especially their high rye bourbon and their rye. There is a single barrel at my local merchant for $34 which is an incredible steal.

A second here for Evan Williams black label or Four Roses yellow label for inexpensive yet still good mixer. I typically buy Four Roses Small Batch for reasonably-priced sipping or extra-nice cocktails. But there are many fantastic bourbons at $40+ price point. Old Forester Statesman is a new favorite with good QPR. I also enjoy Maker’s 46. As far as rye (for Manhattans, for example), Old Overholt or Rittenhouse for inexpensive and Bulleit or High West for a little nicer.

5 Likes

@LindaWhit, thank you so much for moving my thread to this board. And thanks so much to all who made the recommendations. I truly appreciate them.

1 Like

My bourbon loving partner would heartily disagree. If one is going to go for one of the lower end national brands, Jim Beam.

Bulleit makes a very nice one that is fine straight but nicely balanced and a good base for cocktails.

Makers Mark is a bit sweeter than most.

If you happen to find it (if you’re around northern CA, you might) a very good one is Sonoma Distillery’s Bourbon. They have several variations, including a cherrywood smoked and a special reserve cask strength. It’s the partner’s favorite.

4 Likes

I cannot imagine pairing bourbon and tonic, but if I did I would go for an affordable but assertive bourbon like Evan Williams bottled in bond. It also makes a very fine old fashioned.

3 Likes

Start with Ten High and work your way up. Even Ten High is a decent Bourbon. The cheapest one, but it’s a’ight. Just grab some Maker’s Mark, I see it for $20 for a .750 at my local IGA.

Nobody has mention Woodford Reserve yet, so Ill bring that up. Its the bourbon of choice for the Derby party thrown by my Kentucky colonel friend, so I’ll trust his choice.

3 Likes

The taste difference between fairly good and pretty good is fairly large while the difference between pretty good and great bourbon is harder to discern for bourbon rookies. And the price difference between pretty good bourbon and great bourbon is huge.

Agreed. But, if you’re just starting, try some cheaps. Old Crow, Cabin Still, Old Fitz, Evan are still fair bourbons. Then, move up to MM and others. For $20 MM is pretty fair bourbon.

When getting to know something new, our long-standing practice has been to start at “pretty good” until we’re very sure. ZivBnd’s math makes sense.

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

So glad for more recommendations. Thank you, thank you.

1 Like