What's for Dinner #94 - the White Rabbit Edition - June 2023

Based off a recipe from the New York Times, Sumac Scented Eggplant and Chick Peas. This recipe has so many of my favorite things - eggplant, chickpeas, sumac, pomegranate molasses, tomatoes, and mint. The recipe called for frying eggplant cubes but I roasted them instead. The rest of the dish came together quickly and was very easy. It also suggested serving over rice with Greek yogurt but I had some toasts left over and tzatziki. A blob of zhug added some heat and extra herbaceousness.

25 Likes

Tortellini sautéed in butter with fresh sage and minced baby bell cheese. Costco polish sausage pan fried, alongside dijon mustard. Air fried zucchini spears tossed with olive oil, garlic, Panko, S&P.

22 Likes

Scallion roasted chicken over potatoes. Roasted carrots. Leftovers for the week.

24 Likes

BF followed a Chef John recipe for chicken burgers with chimichurri and they turned out excellent! Juicy, flavorful, tender, yet with a nice crust. a zucchini and arugula salad, and for me, some TJs fresh baby corn that was past its prime but still quite sweet and yummy. i’d get them again and not let them languish in the fridge next time.

24 Likes

My falafel was a falapol, sort of. They tasted good and didn’t fall apart, but they fried up grey instead of a lovely brown and was sort of greyish inside too. And super crunchy. I’m not sure what I did wrong. Served them with hummus, tzatziki and tomato, cuke, red onoins stuffed in warm pita. At least my craving is sated.
My laugh for the day, NOAA issued a heat advisory for my area, they’re forecasting a high of 70s to 80 degrees, how will I ever survive. I also had a tonic shower today, opened a bottle that had been resting peacefully on the pantry shelf and it sprayed like a broken water main.

24 Likes

Okay, so your post about tourtiere was immediately followed by your post about kheema - KHEEMA TOURTIERE??? Is this a thing? And if it’s not, should it be? Like an extra delicious samosa on steroids?

5 Likes

gorgeous!

Thank you!

Another simple dinner made in the oven - mix green lentils, celery, shallots, thyme with chicken broth, add some fresh sausages and bake in the oven for 30 minutes. Finish with celery greens and a vinaigrette from shallots, olive oil, sherry vinegar and mustard.

21 Likes

Your salmon looks amazing

1 Like

:heart: I was listening to Jose Andreas’ podcast the other day and he was praising fresh baby corn. I’ve never noticed it in stores before. How did you prepare?

1 Like

Hahaha
I enjoy all things related to kheema, as you have probably realized by now :joy:

Re tourtiere, I love the gentle spicing in there, so I’d probably leave it alone (shocking) – probably because I have specific Montreal associations with the dish.

BUT, kheema in pastry could only be a good thing (it’s fabulous in shepherd’s pie)!

2 Likes

Romaine salad w/ Rio Mare tuna in OO/anchovies/tomatoes/pickled vegetables and shaved Parmigiano Reggiano. Red wine Dijon dressing.

26 Likes

Pasta was WFD dinner tonight.

I grossly underestimate exactly how much my mom and sis love stuffed pasta. Mom’s eyes lit up when I suggested cannelloni or stuffed shells, and apparently we ate up all the julmon shells on my last trip, so cannelloni it was.

Stuffing of homemade ricotta (from the freezer, I didn’t make it tonight) and spinach. Marcella-inspired tomato sauce.

The cannelloni were HUGE. I had a good laugh after asking how many everyone would eat — mom declared TWO! Hahaha. I served her one cut into four pieces, and she only ate the last fourth because she has been so deprived of the things she loves to eat for a month, poor thing.

I stuffed another batch and froze them without sauce, like the shells a while back. Easy to pull one out and sauce it for mom when we are eating something meaty.

Also used some other paneer that was on its last legs with the spinach stems to make a small dish of baked pasta / deconstructed lasagna. That’s what I ate, to save the cannelloni for those who love it much more than I do :joy:

26 Likes

Yum! Canned tuna is one food my husband can’t muster enthusiasm for. Pity.

2 Likes

Last night I made beef birria in the IP, served with homemade yellow rice made in my other IP :rofl:. Leftover tomato braised green beans also made an appearance (not pictured).

23 Likes

it comes fresh in a little package from TJs and the package just has you prepare it in the bag, in the microwave. BF had already done it when i got home. My sister says she does the same, then just tosses with butter and eats them. I just sprinkled some salt on them and ate them as a snack. It think it would be good in soups or cut up in salads.

2 Likes

I like the Rio Mare and Callipo in olive oil and snap it up when it’s on sale. Really nice stuff but can be spendy

1 Like

I made a boxed stroganoff kit that I doctored with minced sauteed shallots, sliced mushrooms, and green peas. I used ground chicken breast dusted with Montreal steak seasoning instead of ground beef. Side of cucumber slices with Tajín.

18 Likes

Have you tried different brands? They’re not all the same. Ortiz is quite good.