What's for Dinner #94 - the White Rabbit Edition - June 2023

I’ve been trying different recipes to make lentils more appealing to Sunshine. She would prefer to have meat, but until her cholesterol comes down, I have to try to serve more “meat-less” dinners. I stumbled across a lentil and banana “meat-less” ball on youtube. They were a little dense, but OK (I guess). I made up a a coconut lime sauce and served them over Basmati rice, topped with chopped broccoli. It was a good attempt, and I (kind-of) liked them but Sunshine didn’t.
Back to the drawing board…

13 Likes

I admire your dedication to make lentils more palatable for your partner. But if she doesn’t like them maybe some other legume would work?

5 Likes

So sorry for your loss. This must be a very difficult time for you - I hope the friends and the food are making things at least a little easier.

1 Like

Yes… I’m going to try to some more bean and potato recipes, but I’m also trying to add protein to her diet.
I’m not all that knowledgeable about legumes and a very novice cook. I’m open to suggestions, but Sunshine can also be a very picky eater (always has been).
I did try tofu, but Sunshine absolutely hates it and refuses to eat it.

6 Likes

Black bean and ‘Soyrizo’ fillings for tacos, burritos or on top of rice dishes. Black bean soup. Lentil soup with plant based kielbasa or roasted chicken. Some can’t handle tofu, I’m one of them.

4 Likes

We did try the “Boca” burgers, again she didn’t like them.
If I see some of the plant based substitutes on sale, I’ll grab them and give 'em a try.
Black beans sound promising. And Sunshine kind of likes pinto beans… so I could try to make some type of meatball or patty from black beans.
Thank you…

2 Likes

Yeah, Boca Burgers are sad, we don’t care for them or any of the plant based ‘ham’ burgers out there. We used to make a pretty good turkey burger though years ago that had a lot of dill and green onion flavor. The Jazzy Vegetarian has some fair recipes we’ve tried, but nothing stands out as a winner. Some high cholesterol levels just don’t respond to dietary changes. Good luck!

3 Likes

Legumes are generally high in protein. Rice and beans or pasta e fagioli or minestrone soup might be good. If she likes chickpeas you could try chana masala.

4 Likes

Yes… I have a chic pea dish she likes, but it has some pork in it. So I try to limit the pork while still adding some flavor.

I’ll look into the chana masala and do some research.
Thank you…

Yes… and I know this could all be a failed attempt. I don’t want to torture her by making her eat foods that she doesn’t like or enjoy, but I have to try.
Once I finish some much needed home improvement projects, I’ll try to get her to hike/walk (with me) in the early morning (before it gets too hot, here)

4 Likes

If you want her cholesterol to come down, cut out sugar: sweets, fruit juices, potatoes(!).

4 Likes

I agree with Sunshine. I have attempted many times to like various lentils and just don’t care for them at all. Have decided not going to try anymore.

1 Like

Black beans can’t be compared to pinto beans; they taste nothing alike. I love pinto beans, but do not like black beans at all.

3 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was brought to you by Ottawa ribfest. I tried a new spot this year and got a combo meal with the intention of having leftovers. I got ribs, a sausage, cornbread and mac 'n cheese. Tonight I had the ribs and the mac 'n cheese. The ribs were really meaty but the bbq sauce had a burnt taste to it but the mac’s cheese was awesome. The sausage and cornbread are in the freezer for a future meal.

19 Likes

Check Rancho Gordo’s site for amazing heirloom beans and recipes. Their Royal Corona beans are SO incredibly creamy and good!

9 Likes

Simple dinner tonight.

Argentinian Red Shrimp seasoned with Penzeys lemon pepper and a pinch of dried lemon zest, sauteed for 1-1/2 minutes each side in butter and olive oil, and served on leftover rice pilaf with sauteed spinach with garlic and Aleppo pepper alongside, with toasted Mediterranean pine nuts on top.

Wine.

21 Likes

Dinner Tonight: Chicken shio ramen from Tori Jiro in Watertown, MA. There was also karaage, sake, Sapporo, and whiskey. I am now at least 90% noodle.

20 Likes

Thanks… I’ll make a small batch of black bean meat-less balls and see if she likes them or not.
Sunshine isn’t shy about letting me know her honest opinion.

2 Likes

Yes… I got some ideas from the Mayo Clinic website and we are trying.
But after torturing her with the lentil meat-less balls and watching force them down, I figure she earned a little dessert for trying.
I did have a few of the lentil balls for lunch today and enjoyed them, so they won’t go to waste. I did jazz them up a bit with some hot sauce.

1 Like

Thanks… I’ll check it out.

1 Like