What's for Dinner #92 - the Fool Me Once Edition - April 2023

Fortunately not really. Just grumpy, tired, and over it. Folks have survived way worse, I realize.

10 Likes

Fresh halibut filets, pan-fried and served with dill butter and Meyer lemon sauce. Oven roasted potato wedges. Garden green beans (from frozen).

22 Likes

Jealous. Was supposed to be 71 next Monday. Now 51 with rain for the next week. I want to be in shorts grilling on the deck .

2 Likes

Ropa vieja with “arrachera” or flap meat.

26 Likes

Now that my weekend gig is over til November, I had time to put a ribeye in my cast iron skillet and make a baked potato. The grocery had a premix of onions, mushroomsz and herbs that made a great topping.

Sometimes its the simple things.

17 Likes

It looks great! Were you happy with it? I was reading with interest the flap/bauvette topic. How do you think it compares with flank or skirt steak?

2 Likes

The weatherman is predicting 95 degrees (F) next Monday (here in the desert).

I was happy with it! I grew up with flank steak as “London Broil” I think, which was the worst, even when I tried a bottled *French Dressing "
images (1)

marinade I read about in high school. Never chose to try it as an adult. I don’t think I’ve tried skirt steak at home either, but I do like carne asada.

3 Likes

Yeah, the orange French dressings are pretty scary, aren’t they? Lol

2 Likes

glad it worked out for you

1 Like

Back in the 70s, my dad had a partnership with a Swiss company. When the president of the Swiss company visited, there weren’t any hotels in our rural Indiana town, so he and his partner stayed at our house.

In gloriously naive Midwest fashion, my mom served that orange French dressing with dinner. They were from Geneva, so French, right?

They bought 3 bottles to take home with them, because they loved it.

He and my dad are still friends, and I’m sure the experience was a key part of my love of travel.

18 Likes

That bottled French dressing is a key ingredient in the Crab Dip we enjoy - best served on buttery crackers like Keebler Club or Ritz
The Trawler’s Famous Crab Dip

1 cup crab meat, shredded (8 oz. package mock crab)
½ cup finely grated shredded cheddar cheese
Âź cup mayonnaise (Heilmans), heavy duty restaurant type if possible
Âź cup French salad dressing
1 teaspoon horseradish, cream style

Mix all ingredients. Serve on club crackers. Also good on small toast squares, or as filling for croissant sandwiches.

May add up to 1 cup total of mayo, if desired. May add more horseradish or French dressing for extra kick.

From cookbook – Doin’ the Charleston,

12 Likes

OK, I love this story! :heart:

4 Likes

That looks fantastic. Did you reference some links?

I secretly like them! Lol. Particularly on a salad with blue cheese.

2 Likes

Thank you! I did here:

1 Like

What a fun experiment. I want in!

2 Likes

Thank you!

(post deleted by author)

Gwyneth Paltrow’s black bean burgers are actually delicious and very simple ingredients (I usually use white rice instead of brown). I do really like many of the recipes from her 1st and 2nd cookbooks, even though she frequently gets a bad rap!

5 Likes