What's for Dinner #92 - the Fool Me Once Edition - April 2023

It is beautiful and I hope it can be mended!

2 Likes

Hopefully things start to become incrementally easier for everyone. I’m sure your mom, siblings and in-laws appreciate your talents, and you’re all supporting one another. Not that it is easy, trust me, I know. :hibiscus:

6 Likes

Marcella’s tomato sauce with onion is about as easy as it gets!

In a continuing effort to lower Sunshine’s cholesterol, I’ve been trying to make a meatless burger for dinner. My first attempt was Lentils and Black Beans which was a fail. Sunshine didn’t like it at all. Then I tried Boca Veggie Burgers, neither of us liked them. We looked at the “Beyond” vegetable burgers, but they were way too pricey.

So, today I made up a test batch of my own version of a veggie burger. I ground down some quick oats in the food processor, then added cauliflower, broccoli and carrots. The mixture was a little too thin, so I added just enough flour to get the right consistency. I fried them in a very small amount of canola oil. (I might bake the next batch, though.) Both Sunshine and I liked them, but I need help with the spicing. Any ideas what I should add?? Liquid Smoke?? Worcester Sauce?? Paprika?? I have a good base recipe just need some suggestions to get the flavor right.

16 Likes

Smoked paprika, garlic and cumin would taste good, many different possibilities. Cumin, Mexican Oregano, and chili powder(s). You might also stir in some Beef or Chicken Better than Bouillon to add salt or impart a meaty flavor.

4 Likes

Beef bouillon (powder) is an excellent idea.
Yes, the goal is to make them taste a “little” like meat.

2 Likes

Let us know how your experiments turn out. A little soy and mushroom powder would bring that meat like umami in too. Onions, or onion powder would be good additions, roasted red peppers or green chiles maybe? Have fun experimenting!

4 Likes

More good ideas… When you wrote umami, my mind went to MSG. I have MSG in stock, I imagine I could add a teaspoon of that (to the mix), as well.

*** As a side note *** Neither Sunshine nor I get “MSG Headaches” that others have reported.

3 Likes

You could use different flavour profiles for the spicing, changing up your base recipe depending on what you’re in the mood for.
Southwestern: chili powder, cumin, a touch of liquid smoke
Italian: mixed herbs, rosemary or thyme, garlic
Filipino-ish: garlic, beet powder, coconut aminos or soy sauce, date syrup, s&p

Here is a recipe for a Korean vegan burger, you could try a half-recipe to see if you like the taste.

Happy experimenting!

3 Likes

Thanks… and yes I do have some gouchujang sauce in stock.

My goal is to serve meat (to Sunshine) only two times a week, so that leaves a lot of vegetable based lunches and dinners.

2 Likes

As noted yesterday, I have leftovers from the braised sole with chili bean sauce, baby bok choy, and rice, so dinner was a gently reheated path of least resistance. I added a couple spoonfuls of Fly By Jing chili crisp to gild the lily!

23 Likes

Old skool tacos today. I almost took a photo of the naked tortillas with just meat in them as a statement on my mood today.

22 Likes

Lazy, easy Monday dinner: 3 leftover spanakopita squares & 3 leftover wings from Friday night were crisped up in the air fryer – the wings tossed with Frank’s Nashville “hot” (it isn’t, so we add MOAR heat), the spanakopita gilded with leftover tzatziki from I-don’t-remember-when. Salad of sunny crunch greens, Aldi’s gem lettuce, radishes & cherry tomatoes with creamy mustard dressing on the side. Grilled black tiger shrimp that had marinated in olive oil, Aleppo pepper, lemon pepper, Penzey’s Florida pepper seasoning, hot Hungarian paprika, garlic & onion powder, and the juice of one Meyer lemon. Dipped in a friend’s crack chile oil. I could eat a shoe with that stuff :drooling_face:

21 Likes

http://www.dpic.org/faq/fiddleheads
Fiddleheads can be a source of foodborne illness, so generally it’s recommended by the powers that be to boil them for 15 minutes to kill any nasties that might give someone food poisoning. Of course, that takes all the yum out of them. Do what you need to do for deliciousness, but be careful out there!

3 Likes

I like Spike.

Are you in pain today – from your injury??

1 Like

Wow! I’ve been eating sautéed bracken fern heads for over 40 years and now found out they are carcinogenic. Thank for the link. One never knows what they’ll learn on Hungry Onion!

3 Likes

Hey, they look okay to me and I hope they were tasty. This too, shall pass!

1 Like

Hit 90* today. A/C on for the first time this year. I do believe Spring is here. Charcoal grilled jerk marinated bone in thick cut pork chops. Squash casserole made with yellow squash, sharp cheddar, butter, sour cream, s/p and Ritz crackers. Fresh green beans( although you can tell by the photo, not in season) sautéed in bacon fat and shallots until tender with a splash of balsamic at the end. Plenty of crispy bacon. Not bad.

ETA the marked down cannoli he picked up today.

21 Likes

An awesome family dinner tonight with the kids, featuring a tasting of three different prime quality beef augmented by some especial and infrequently made side dishes!..Oh! And finish off with a Mango fresh cream sponge cake! Sooo good!😋😋🤓🤓

Tonight’s menu:

• Cast iron pan seared…" Ontario grass fed Striploin; Alberta Angus
    Prime Striploin; Japanese Wagyu A4 Striploin.
  • Crispy Swiss Rosti Potato Pancake…with lots of grass-fed butter!
  • Sauteed wild Mushrooms with butter, Sake, Mirin, Oyster
    sauce and premium top soy sauce
  • Sugar sweet snap-beans salad with melted anchovies, garlic,
    EVOO and lemon juice dressing
  • Fresh cream Mango sponge cake

…for fun, added some sweet and spicy chili/fish sauce coated BBQ Chicken wings!

Of the three beef choices, I enjoyed the Alberta Prime the most. The grass fed was tender but somehow the beef lacked moisture?! Though cooked to perfectly rare, texture and taste of the Wagyu was surprisingly run-of-the-mill?!🤔🤔

SIGH!!! I was so preoccupied

with cooking, I forgot to open the wine!!☹️

21 Likes