What's for Dinner #92 - the Fool Me Once Edition - April 2023

That’s just a regular artichoke.

For Mr Bean’s birthday I decided to make a “nice” steak for him. This 1.5+ pound T-Bone is from a nearby butcher that specializes in locally grown, pasture-raised meats. It was reversed seared, spending about 25 minutes in the oven at 225 which left it very rare. I then seared it on the stove top only until it was little less rare, It was cooked perfectly for me but Mr Bean threw his piece back into the oven to get it closer to medium rare.

Served with smashed Brussels sprouts and mushroom sautéed with garlic, thyme and marsala.

22 Likes

Happy Birthday to Mr. Bean! That’s a beautiful looking steak!

2 Likes

I had intended on having chicken curry last night but when I showed up for picket duty yesterday there were hot dogs! And timbits! After eating my body weight in junk food, last night’s chicken curry got bumped to tonight. So tonight waa chicken curry with rice noodles.

20 Likes

My apologies I meant globe artichoke. It’s kinda hard stuffing a Jerusalem artichoke ,)

3 Likes

Beef burger with Fontina cheese and sage filling, topped with prosciutto and baby spinach. Buns had some lemon zest mayonnaise.

17 Likes

I know! That’s what got my attention.

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Love monkfish! So underated.

2 Likes

Speedy recovery wishes!

1 Like

Belated birthday wishes! How were the 'chokes?

1 Like

I used to make the Jerusalem 'chokes with lotsa s&p and butter, like mashed potatoes. Peeling them to me, is too time consuming. I did make a potato, celery root and sunchoke (Jerusalem artichoke) salad once and it was pretty tasty.
As for your basic artichoke, steamed and served with Best Foods mayo is our usual. The ren faire in Novato had some wonderous artichokes one year. It seems they were boiled and then bathed in herbed oil. Yum. They went well with the huge roasted turkey legs.

5 Likes

I love sunchokes roasted with a nice aioli, but prefer artichokes with a vinaigrette for dipping :slight_smile:

1 Like

Best wishes for your recovery.

2 Likes

Yum!

1 Like

Picked up yet more B/S chicken at MB’s sale ending yesterday to feed my freezer. And with the cold, rainy day today, I decided to make chicken, roasted corn, and roasted red pepper chowder. (I used a bag of Trader Joe’s roasted corn in place of the freshly roasted corn.)

Sides of a crusty buttered roll, and a salad of Little Leaf butter lettuce, baby spinach, grape tomatoes, sliced cukes, radishes and red bell pepper. Homemade Maple-Balsamic Vinaigrette drizzled on top.

Wine.

21 Likes

Low-key dinner the night before surgery. Three cheese grilled cheese (havarti, sharp cheddar, provolone) and TJ’s creamy tomato & red pepper soup.

25 Likes

Hope it goes okay.

7 Likes

The chowder looks great! :yum:

1 Like

I made creamy Andouille, potato, and corn chowder (adding creamed corn) and Gouda-garlic biscuits.

A little wedge of Ina’s blueberry ricotta cake for dessert.

19 Likes