Favorite potato recipes

I love mayonnaise on my fries. Bernaise is good, too. Cholula is low cal, tart, and not very spicy. Malt vinegar is great. Now and then we make fries that get shaken in a sheet pan with truffle oil and bleu cheese. It is good but not as good as it sounds.

Lots of hash brown lovers here. I love pairing them with a thick, rare NY strip or ribeye and creamed spinach. The correct wine to serve with that is a 3:1 martini.

5 Likes

I’ve been promising friends a steakhouse type meal for Thanksgiving since the pandemic started. When we resume, I think I’ll appropriate your menu. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Too many favorites for me to run-down right now but because we’re currently in Tenerife, I’ll give a vote for Canarian papas arrugadas (wrinkly new potatoes) typically served with a red or green mojo. I just made some tonight and they are ridiculously easy to make—good potatoes and a lot of salt are imperative. I didn’t have the ingredients for a proper mojo so we just dipped them in pasta sauce. It worked.

“Recipe”

6 Likes

I haven’t made these, but I like eating them

1 Like

It isn’t original. I had it at the Palm in the mid-1980s. A salad is ok, but I skipped dessert.

One to add to the list: champ. Basically mashed potatoes where the milk has been infused with scallions (which are left in) and plenty of butter. Similar to colcannon, but those scallions just take it to another level. Especially good as the topping on a cottage pie.

7 Likes

My dad took me to the Palm in NYC decades ago, but I think one of us had the Lobster the Size of a Table. That I’m not about to replicate. Jurassic Park … :eyes:

2 Likes

Ages ago, I went to Nick and Steph’s steakhouse in Los Angeles. Dry aged ribeyes and strips. oh my.
They had bearnaise on the side, and, well…

mashed potatoes dragged through a pool of steak juice and bearnaise… I could have died on the spot and been at peace.

4 Likes

I am with you. Lobster in a restaurant is tasty but embarrassing. Lobster at home is delicious, but unless you have a great big pot or are good at pithing them, those critters will try to back out of the pot. The only way I eat lobster lately is lobster rolls. A lobster roll lunch in the sun with a cold beer is no hassle and very fulfilling. I like the mayonnaise and celery variety, not the CT butter variety. The Texas twist with mayonnaise and jalapeños is my new favorite.

3 Likes

OMG. That sounds divine.

Thanks for posting - I can’t believe I’ve never heard of this. Sounds great. Especially as a topping on a cottage pie.

3 Likes

I do love lobster salad; and the only lobster roll I’ve had has been with celery and mayo. I can’t remember the last time I had a lobster in a restaurant. I can’t even remember the last time I was in a restaurant that currently serves whole lobsters.

A couple of our non-chain groceries still have lobster tanks, and I believe they will pith and/or steam them for you, which is not, I realize, ideal.

1 Like

I used to think lobster was “it,” the best, the bomb. Now in the ranks of shellfish I prefer oysters, scallops, crabs, and mussels. If I lived somewhere else, I’d sneak clams and abalone in there, but that would involve being bicoastal. Scallops pounded into abalone (scalone) and pan fried quickly in butter is, so far, my favorite seafood.

1 Like

Does most of your seafood in Austin come from the gulf coast?

trying to visualize this - maybe you mean scallopini if you’re pounding scallops thin? Or are you pounding abalone into scallopini? Abalone seems like it would take a pounding better than scallops … now I’m hungry for something fried in butter

2 Likes

Great thread . So have you mastered the French fry . Read about the souse vide chill and cook . Ok .
Looking for how to cook light and crispy fries that i can dip into a mayonnaise and ketchup blend.

1 Like

If you are willing to deep fry, check this out:
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/double-fried-french-fries-recipe-1938606

1 Like

And so the great french fry discussion begins.

There are several versions of this on line worth studying (not all of them take an hour) - search for “Robuchon Fries”. This one happens to not be behind a paywall.

3 Likes

What do you think goes into that prime rib seasoning? I’m sure it contains msg…

Who wudda thunk it?