What's for Dinner #92 - the Fool Me Once Edition - April 2023

My sympathies. I have worked for a very long line of a*holes, narcissists, and bullies.

I hope you find resolution soon.

3 Likes

Beautiful! What meat did you use?

I realized just as you were telling me this that I actually have that book buried away somewhere at home. Time to dust it off! I was working for a toxic manager at the time and there was some really good advice in thst book.

3 Likes

NY strip steaks - a treat!

2 Likes

Using up much of the pot au feu leftovers with this Country Beef Salad, from the Le Bernardin Cookbook. We had this with baguette from local bakery, Iggy’s. Whispering Angel rosĂ© for me and Notch “Left of the Dial” Session IPA for him.

21 Likes

Simple tonight - farfalle alla vodka with reheated Bratwurst. I had some leftover cucumber salad and a nice gooey dark chocolate brownie for dessert.

14 Likes

Spring soup.

Leftover grilled chicken, orzo and seasonal veg. I used an ATK recipe from the Washington Post as a jumping off point –I always love tarragon with alliums, and I thought the chili flakes (doubled down) were a nice touch.

Asparagus, spinach, broccolini, peas scallion, tarragon and bay from the garden. I had some held-over biscuit trimmings in the freezer which we floated for dumplings.

DH’s bowl (pictured here) got the extra chicken leg.

18 Likes

Very springy! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

DIY Filet-O-Fish knockoff inspired by @Meekah 's in the McDonald’s thread.

Half a Kraft single, Gorton’s fish sandwich cooked in the air fryer, and DIY tartar sauce (mayonnaise, chopped up cornichon, lemon juice, mustard, sugar) on a store bought brioche bun. Came out pretty good though the bun to filet ratio was slightly high.

21 Likes

And therefor, probably very authentic!

4 Likes

Please tell why no potatoes with fish curry. Any other incompatibles you want to share? Just curious.

1 Like

Yay!!! It’ll be a good refresher and you can update some of the skills with the crazy climate we live in! Peace!:pray:

1 Like

I must have missed that you were injured - I do hope you heal quickly and well. Can’t be much fun with a young child and a busy life! But I see that you’re soldiering on, and your meals still look great.

2 Likes

I had no energy to plan an interesting meal today. I don’t even have any damn tofu to put in my miso soup. Not hating this, though. It’s hard not to like smoked steelhead on a bagel.

IMG_7235

18 Likes

Indian Ratatouille from Ottolenghi’s Plenty More with potatoes, red onion, red peppers, okra, tomatoes, jalapeño, panch phoran,turmeric, cardamom, fresh curry leaves, tamarind paste and topped with some pumpkin seeds and cilantro

12 Likes

Hmmm
 tradition? Never had them in a(n) (indian) fish curry either at home or in a restaurant in my area. Yes on the prawn curry front, though — wonder if that was to extend the dish as prawns are relatively expensive, but it’s delicious with potatoes.

Yet I’ve had fish tagines (which taste to me like a lighter fish curry) - always with steak-fry-shaped potatoes - and those are just lovely. So
 I guess don’t know why not other than habit / tradition :joy:

Incompatibilities would be a good thread idea!

3 Likes

I should have put my cheese under the fillet. I got regular size buns this time. Gonna try again. Your looks good!

1 Like

I still have a decent amount of fish from last season in freezer and since we just put our boat in the water I’m trying to use it up before this season starts. Sea bass marinated in lime juice, cumin, jalapeños and cilantro. Served with tomatillo salsa, Mexicanish slaw and grilled nopales/cactus.

23 Likes

Cooked my own bday dinner
 unusual. Normally we’d go out, but the little is having unpredictable unhappy stomach and after scrapping or shortening other celebrations in the last few months, I decided to not put that kind of pressure on us. So, a dinner salad - greens, beets, blue cheese, chicken, candied pecans. Honey mustard dressing. Rhubarb snacking cake. No pix.

13 Likes

Here’s to more trips around the sun. Whoop it up next time!

2 Likes