McDonald's in General

Wanna see that tarter sauce!

I have experimented with a number of “copycat recipes” and all of them were wrong. After a bit more research I found McDonalds’ allergen listings indicating it contains Pickle Relish, Capers, Onions, Distilled Vinegar, Sugar, Salt, and Parsley. The onion and parsley are dehydrated, but fresh should work even better as long as you rinse the onions. The only other flavor ingredients are “spice” and “spice extracts”, so have no idea what those may be. Betting some kind of pepper/paprika/garlic.

According to a document by a supposed ex-employee, the quantities are approximately:
1/2 cup mayo
1/4 cup relish
2 teaspoons dried minced onion
1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
1/2 teaspoon distilled vinegar
10-12 capers (small), minced
1/8 teaspoon sugar
Depending on how salty your mayo is, you may or may not need a pinch of salt.

Throw all this together and refrigerate well ahead of time to let flavors blend.

1 Like

You can probably eliminate the dried parsley flakes or sub with confetti :wink:

They add absolutely nothing of worth to anything.

1 Like

Sure they do.
A thin veneer of green healthiness.

4 Likes

I admit I have never used dry parsley so I’ll take your word for it, but I use fresh in a fair amount of stuff and really like the bright aromatic flavor.

2 Likes

Yes, the fresh does add flavor but @linguafood is right that the dried adds nothing.

It doesn’t look the same with white American cheese, but the taste was spot on, even if the slider bun was a wee bit too small to contain everything. The fillets actually have air-fryer directions. 400 degrees for 9-10 minutes. I used a parchment liner.

8 Likes

I used to like something called Thomas’ Fish Camp tartar sauce. Haven’t seen it in years locally. It was just right.

Yeah, looks like they’re gone. Their site is still up but their SSL cert expired 6 days ago.

Gonna grab the Gorton’s tomorrow, along with capers and parsley so I can try the recipe I posted above.

I just clicked through the server error. The company still exists. They need to tend to their website. I saw their lemon dill sauce in a store last week.

Still didn’t get the cook on the fish right (did it in the flash oven), but the tartar sauce below was really great (and almost perfect)…

1/2 cup mayo (115 grams)
1/4 cup minced dill pickle (32 grams)
2 teaspoons minced white onion (10 grams)
1 teaspoon finely chopped parsley
1/2 teaspoon distilled vinegar
10-12 capers (small), minced
1/8 teaspoon sugar

IMHO it should be just a tad sweeter. So maybe a mixture of dill/sweet pickle, or a dash more vinegar/sugar.

Tomorrow I will try a shallow fry on the fish, and adding some sweet relish into the tartar sauce.

4 Likes

I usually do not like ordering from a machine, but the customization option means that you should be getting a fresh burger/sandwich instead of one that has been on the warmer spot for 10 or 15 minutes (or longer) so even with the five or six minute wait, it is worth it.
I eat at McDonalds at least once a month, usually when I am looking for a moderately clean bathroom when I am roadtripping but sometimes when I am in a hurry and want 400 calories (plus 900 unwanted grams of sodium) to keep me going. A McDouble with extra pickles and a “small” diet coke is a decent fast option.
Odd how fast I have fallen back into a settled routine after 5 months of traveling…

7 Likes
3 Likes

(post deleted by author)

More melty cheese and more Big Mac sauce?!
Not THAT will make their burgers MUCH better!
LOL!

1 Like

So the re-make results in both good and bad news. The good news is I doubled up on the vinegar and sugar in the tartar sauce and it was just about perfect.

The bad news is the Gorton’s sandwich filets are tasteless, and the batter does not hold up well against the sauce on a steamed bun (ending up in a mush sandwich). Not only does the batter not hold up, the texture of the fish doesn’t either… with it just falling apart.

I have baked them according to directions, and once again with convection turned on, in the flash oven, and fried them. No matter how crispy they turned out… on the sandwich with sauce was a disappointment. It is just lousy fish, and I have had better results using Van Camps beer battered filets, using two per sandwich.

4 Likes

We hear about this every few years from them. ‘New and Improved! Bigger and fresher’.
Let me know what you think about the ‘improvements’.

Last week, faint from hunger and a long drive from home, I went to a McDonald’s drive through and got a “new…improved…fresh meat” quarter pounder with cheese. No fires, and a small Diet Coke. To my surprise, the hamburger was actually hot. As in just cooked hot. And edible, at least.

1 Like

Never “grokked” the quarter pounder as I want produce and mayo/thousand island on a plain cheese burger… so In 'n Out, Carl’s Jr, and Wendy’s do it way better for me.

First two aren’t even in existence anywhere in my state and the one Wendy’s is nearly a half hour drive from me. I prefer “produce” on my hamburger too - Burger King has it, but the burgers are always ice cold.

1 Like

Absolutely agree.

3 Likes