What's for Dinner #92 - the Fool Me Once Edition - April 2023

Ugh: dinner looks great, the thought of being on strike less so. Fingers crossed there is a settlement!

6 Likes

Ugh! Sorry that is happening. Too much dislikes in this world.

4 Likes

Salad made with romaine, diced fennel, chopped sun-dried tomatoes, chickpeas, mozzarella, oregano and dill. Simple vinaigrette made from olive oil, lemon juice, sugar.

15 Likes

BF made Serious Eatsā€™ Thai green curry from scratch, with chicken and eggplant. So good! Much better than any jarred sauce could be and we had most of the ingredients on hand anyway, since I made the last one (I think there may even be a jar of the chili paste I made in the freezer - shhh!) He used only a fraction of the chilies called for, and it was plenty spicy.

23 Likes

gorgeous! i never see monkfish sold here in the markets/fishmongers, and I love itā€¦

1 Like

Monday martini FTW.

4 Likes

Grilled prawns with yogurt cucumber sauce

21 Likes

:heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I get a monthly fish subscription from a local fishmonger which allows add-ons. They had monkfish in stock, so I jumped on it! I canā€™t think of when I have seen it in supermarkets around here either, now that I think about itā€¦

4 Likes

I donā€™t have any gochujang, but I like the idea of apricot-with-something-spicyish meatballs! I know I have a half bag of frozen balls in my fridge. Going to try and remember to do something similar.

1 Like

UGH on the very bad Monday and new manager, especially with his/her attitude towards you. Hopefully it AND the potential strike resolve themselves soon. Your dinner looks wonderful, and I hope today is better!

5 Likes

Sriracha or chili-garlic sauce to taste would work in a pinch. If you go that route I recommend trying to add some form of fermented soybean - maybe miso paste or doenjang - to get that full rounded umami flavor. :blush:

I also added fresh sliced scallions, which I browned with the meatballs.

2 Likes

If you can, consider calling out this bullying behavior in front of a witness and making a formal complaint in writing. This kind of thing tends to snowball once they think they can treat you badly and get away with it. In my experience, anyway. Sometimes when you stand up for yourself or call out the bad behavior, you gain respect in their eyes.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve got the chili-garlic sauce/paste and thatā€™s what I was thinking of doing. Also have some white miso paste in the fridge that would hopefully be enough oomph.

Now I seriously want sweet/sour/somethingish meatballs. LOL

2 Likes

Thanks but calling out the behaviour in front of witnesses is a little out of my comfort zone. I am in regular contact with my union (although not about this item yet) and they seem to prefer documentation in writing. Iā€™m still trying to figure out what the managerā€™s problem is. He looks like heā€™s in his 40s so Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s an age thing - Iā€™m in my late 50s and by far the oldest one in the office - or my gender. I noticed he seems to gravitate mostly to the men in the office. Iā€™ve worked with three mysogynists in my career and the last two were very subtle so filing a grievance or human rights complaint would be difficult. I keep reminding myself there are benefits to working from home so he isnā€™t in my face everyday but it is unpleasant none-the-less. Off to heat up my tortellini soup.

11 Likes

What type of sausage?

There is a book out there by Robert I. Sutton titled, ā€˜The No A**hole Ruleā€™ (I put in the asterisks).
It was invaluable when we had a bully in our employment and it helped in dealing with subsequent ones. The HR people should have had this in THEIR training. I wish you the very best of luck!

4 Likes

What I could grab at WF - local bratwurst and spinach/chicken

Goodness, it was perfect! Silky and scrumptous! Thank you, thank you! The basic sauce was a great launch pad for our dinner.

1 Like

Leftovers and remakes for dinner.

Mom had spinach artichoke pasta from two nights ago plus last nightā€™s vegetable soup.

Sis and I had egg curry to use up the eggs she boiled for no real reason yesterday, lol. I added potatoes because curry without potatoes is silly (unless itā€™s fish curry, then no potatoes ever).

We had fresh bread (from the bread guy, I havenā€™t baked bread here yet) to accompany the curry.

21 Likes