What's for Dinner #92 - the Fool Me Once Edition - April 2023

I’m cooking dinner early so I can go out during the day. I’m making one of our favourites - Chicken with Preserved Lemons and Olives - it’s a version from BBC Goodfood via the Hairy Bikers. This version has cloves, cinnamon and ginger. The new preserved lemons are a bit salty so I’ve soaked some along with the too-salty olives. Managed to remember that I shouldn’t add any salt or prepared stock - just water. We may have rice (partner is on GF diet for a while) and definitely rapini. Does anyone else make this dish?

The photo shows it with the lemons (more will be added at the end or for serving) and the olives, which will go in for a few minutes when it’s ready to cool down and be stored in the fridge for later. Meanwhile, it’s on a nice simmer.

14 Likes

I am so sorry! I hope you can be repurpose the plates, or part of them, into a craft project or something artsy. They are so beautiful.

2 Likes

HA! That analogy, I’ve never heard that one before! We had snow, the high was 24° yesterday. No April Fool. I miss the ren fairs of yore.

I was exhausted and also fed up of my own cooking, plus it was Sunday. So I ordered Tandoori chicken and Chicken biryani for sis and me. Went to pick up the food instead of having it delivered just for a change of scenery.

Mom doesn’t want to eat outside food at the moment, so she said she’d like the last of the Japchae for her dinner.

We all had homemade vegetable soup leftover from earlier in the week to start.

No pics because: I was exhausted.

18 Likes

Please take care of yourself, and I hope someone is looking out for you. You have been through such a lot recently.

12 Likes

Who’s making deviled eggs this Easter season? Come join us! DEVILED EGGS - Spring 2023 (Apr-Jun) Dish of the Quarter

5 Likes

We’re also going down under for Cuisine of the Quarter: AUSTRALIAN - Spring 2023 (Apr-Jun) Cuisine of the Quarter

2 Likes

I am organizing a spring potluck today, and I’m pretty sure at least one attendee will contribute deviled eggs!

4 Likes

They are good any time of year, but spring just screams deviled eggs to me. No doubt because my mother always made them for Easter! :hatching_chick:

2 Likes

Dinner last night at sister’s. Her homemade pasta with a miso butter, maitake mushroom sauce, and chopped-up conservas of navajas (tinned razor clams) thrown in at the end. I’d looked a some FB video and then couldn’t find it again, so looked up a few recipes and kinda winged it. Super simple, incredibly good! We shoulda made more pasta.

I also made a really good salad in a Dijon/shallot vinaigrette that turned out way too salty. And $$$ fiddleheads that may have been past their prime. we looked up how to cook and many said to boil for 15 minutes and then saute them. Wàaay too long, they were almost mush, pretty flavorless except for the butter and garlic I sauteed them in. What a waste. But that pasta! Definitely something that will be on repeat.

18 Likes

I love deviled eggs (really, what kind of a freak doesn’t???) in most variations. I’m not too crazy about using beet to stain bc I find the flavor overpowering, but I’ve yet to ever see any leftover deviled eggs anywhere, ever.

Reminds me of this popular meme (although - perhaps not surprisingly - there are many :joy:):

18 Likes

Oh, that is too bad. Eggplant was looking so auspicious

2 Likes

Fed the (new!) freezer with foil-wrapped burgers, pork chops, and BISO chicken breasts.

Made meat sauce with the rest of the ground beef to feed the freezer and myself tonight. (The house smells so good!)

Added about a cup of leftover ricotta to some of the meat sauce and combined the sauce with penne and sauteed spinach with garlic and Aleppo for some bite. Shredded mozzarella on top.

Crusty buttered roll and wine alongside.

26 Likes

Braised grey sole fillets in chili bean sauce, adapted from this Fuchsia Dunlop recipe.

I just poached the fillets in the braising liquid (and added baby bok choy not called for). Leftovers for tomorrow!

23 Likes

That is exactly the pasta dish I’ve been craving but am minus several key ingredients. Enjoying vicariously.

2 Likes

(post deleted by author)

My friend brought over lunch and left baked ziti with Italian sausage for dinner. It was really good! My DH made a green salad with hard boiled (Easter) egg, blue cheese, and avocado and CSA greens to go with.

25 Likes

Gracias, @LindaWhit !

1 Like

Thai pineapple fried rice, following this recipe, but minus shrimp, fish sauce, raisins. Added eggs instead.

Two forks up!

23 Likes

Last night I put a partially thawed London broil hunk o meat in the slow cooker with chipotle peppers, water, spices, etc. This evening the sliced meat was sautéed with onions, some of the braising liquid, and more miscellaneous spices. Spanish rice, quickie refried beans from a can of Goya, tomatoes, and tomatillo salsa, corn tortillas, and voila……tacos.

TBH, I really did not feel like cooking but was committed on account of that braised beef. Packed up two lunch portions for grown kid to take home and some for my breakfast.

18 Likes