AUSTRALIAN - Spring 2023 (Apr-Jun) Cuisine of the Quarter

We’re heading down under this spring - AUSTRALIAN was our big winner for COTQ! Looking forward to throwing shrimp on the barbie with you all this season.

5 Likes

ANZAC biscuits.

A simple cookie made with oats, coconut, flour, sugar, butter and golden syrup, which are well enough known that they have their own Wikipedia page.

I learned of these on the HO baking thread earlier this year, and was prompted by this quarter’s COTQ to make them again yesterday. Some versions have raisins, which is nice, but we’ve decided we prefer them without.

I use a Bon Appetit recipe, but since that one is behind a paywall, here’s a very similar one from Recipe tin Eats.

Next in the Aussie sweets division, I’ll be trying my hand at Lamingtons:

8 Likes

So called because they wouldnt spoil when posted, as part of food parcels sent from home, to troops serving with the Australian & New Zealand Army Corps, during the Great War.

I’d hoped to include them in my book about food during the war but couldnt find a good “story” about them for the section on food parcels.

5 Likes
2 Likes

I know nothing of Australia – our planned trip there in April 2020 having been canceled for obvious reasons – except for its cricket grounds. I hope to learn here, but meanwhile this may be of interest:

1 Like

Per a New Zealand recipe for chicken pie, an inglorious, aka ugly, dish
Screen Shot 2023-04-03 at 6.38.25 PM
that was suprisingly delicioius. Only difference from usual ingredients = creme fraiche and garlic.
Screen Shot 2023-04-03 at 6.38.43 PM

8 Likes

It doesn’t look ugly to me! In fact quite the opposite, happy you liked it.

Looking forward to the next 3 months!
The things I think of:
Lamingtons, Flat Whites, Pavlova.
Brunch, their folded eggs

“Barbied” shrimp, curry dust, cauliflower puree.
Screen Shot 2023-04-05 at 5.26.21 PM

8 Likes

Zucchini Slice.

A dish common in Australia and New Zealand that bears similarities to frittatas and quick breads. It consists of zucchini, eggs, cheese, usually bacon, and flour baked to form a flat loaf. It is … cut into squares, and served as a main dish or a side dish and is often eaten for lunch. (Source: Wikipedia)

Frequently in the summer months I’ll make a vegetarian version, when both zucchini and fresh basil are abundant. It’s tasty, filling, and travels well – a good choice for picnics and road trips. Today, being only April, when said fresh greens in short supply, I used some of our garden zucchini from the freezer, pickled scallions, and a few tablespoons of homemade pesto.

Served with the obligatory chili crisp (or sub chile flakes), it was delicious, as always, and I’ve made a note of the off-season substitutes.

I use the New York Times version as a jumping-off point, but there is a plethora of recipes on-line. Here’s a few:

7 Likes

Ottolenghi mango lime coconut Lamington in this article

1 Like

Another version of the slice: scallion, zucchini, cheddar, and bacon. Using up odds and ends from the cheese drawer, I added medium cheddar, pepper jack, and a smoked, white cheddar.

5 Likes
2 Likes

I made these Raspberry Cream Lamingtons from the baking cookbook of the quarter, One Tin Bakes. Sponge cake soaked in a sweet cream and milk mix with gelatin, then coated in raspberry jam and rolled in coconut. Not the traditional Lamingtons but pretty tasty nonetheless!

5 Likes