What's for Dinner #92 - the Fool Me Once Edition - April 2023

Pad krapow gai again, added a jalapeño.

23 Likes

Chicken stew. I used chicken thighs which is my personal favourite. The veg was onion, garlic, potato, carrot, daikon and purple sprouting broccoli. Lovely on these cloudy days.

23 Likes

Chicken stew.

This looks yum!

3 Likes

I just love saying pad kra-POW!

Looks scrumptious, especially with that fried egg on it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Meze Platter — tzatziki, hummus, melitzano purée, börek, falafel,
muhammara, warm grape leaves, olives, pita bread

From Dunyā in SF. This platter is really good and a perfect lazy lunch/dinner. They have a bunch of random (to me at least) wines as well.

Was a late lunch (and our “dinner”) but couldn’t find a lunch thread looking real quick. Is there a lunch thread?

23 Likes

This inspires me to try a new chain in town (MEZZEH) soon. I don’t eat at chains, generally, but heard good reviews about it.

I miss good ME/Med food around these parts. There’s a decent Greek place that makes a mean melitzano & fava, and a Lebanese place with (supposedly) aMAzing falafel, but your pic has me missing the fab Turkish food in Berlin.

PS: Here’s the lunch link :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I like your last bit. :wink:

1 Like

Thank you!

" BBQ House, Woodbine/Hwy#7, Markham “

This popular and consistently packed ‘ Chinese style Izakaya ‘ offers a wide selection of BBQ skewered meat, innards and seafood, perfectly seasoned with a commendable, exotic blend of not-too-overpowering ‘Cummin based ‘ spices. Ingredients were expertly timed and cooked with the end-products void of the usually excessive ‘ carcinogenic ‘ char!

To the skewered items, the menu also offers a broad range of interesting deep-fried and stirred-fry dishes, most with a hot & spicy slant.

Our party of four starving carnivores went bonkers, spared no expenses and ordered such an excessive amount of skewer sticks and side dishes, I totally lost track of the quantity of food we placed……using a simple, user-friendly and server-less process involving just a touch of a button on our smart phone’s menu app.

Some dishes I recalled ordering included skewered lamb, beef, half-done beef, chicken cartilage, heart and liver, stirred fry clams in both spicy and garlic sauce, fried whole red snapper, fried ‘scallion stuffed’ yuba-skin, stirred fry enoki mushrooms, Kimchi fried rice, smoked chicken liver……etc. Every dish is well executed and delectable. The seasoning for the skewered meat was complex, multi-dimensional and with a hint of welcoming sweetness. The taste profile, way superior than other BBQ places I have frequented in the past!

Surprisingly, the hands-down stand out dish of the evening belonged to the unexpectedly, mind-boggling delicious, ‘Stirred fry spicy clams’. So $#%^ finger-licking good!😋😋

To round off our enjoyable dining experience, a word about their spectacular decor, displaying on shelves, liquors costing 4 - 5 figure!!..Bottles of Paradis and Louis 13 Cognac, vintage Macallan single malt, 21 yr old Royal Salute, 30 yrs old Japanese whiskey, limited edition Sake and some mighty fine Moutai collection! Thank God Toronto is not an earthquake zone!

18 Likes

Gosh I hope you had enough food for everyone :joy:

4 Likes

I had leftover baked ziti from the freezer and cucumber slices with Tajín. Looking forward to some blanc de blanc after kid bedtime.

18 Likes

Dinner last night ended up being the rest of the mediocre pizza we picked up Monday night.

As for tonight, my PIC was gonna do his magic with the leftover bok choy & napa cabbage from last Saturday’s hot pot, whereas I was gonna make garlic noodles with the ginormous amount of leftover wantan noodz from the same meal.

Unfortunately, the noodles had a distinct whiff of ammonia, so I tossed them. It does say to use them “immediately” on the package, I’d forgotten just how quickly they need to be used :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

I used some regular & spinach linguine. Salty, garlicky goodness, topped with our buddy’s homemade chili oil.

15 Likes

Haven’t cooked a whole lot this week. Mostly leftovers and made sketti and sauce last night.

But tonight I cooked. Duck breast with a quick blackberry compote of mashed blackberries I had defrosted and heated in the microwave mixed with some balsamic vinegar and a tab of butter to smooth it out.

Served on toasted Israeli couscous with minced shallots, s/p, and minced fresh parsley with steamed asparagus alongside.

Wine. Most definitely.

22 Likes

DaYUM that duck boob! I thought we had a pack of two from Aldi in the freezer, but no dice. “Only” a whole duck. When I’m 100% that’s on the agenda soon :slight_smile:

Looks fabo!

4 Likes

Hee! Hee!! Barely!! We actually ended up next door for dessert…Double Chocolate Cheesecake a la mode and Funnel Cake!!

13 Likes

Holy crap that looks amazing!

1 Like

It was an enjoyable and well-deserved bit. :grin:

1 Like

I had indigestion and experienced acid reflux after eating that!! :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

A recent fridge and freezer purge resulted in a very satisfying southwestern style soup. From the fridge, a l.o. blistered poblano, and a bit of l.o. black beans, white beans, red bell pepper and a dollop of sour cream. The freezer contributed chicken stock, lots of corn on the cob, some diced tomatoes in juice and some sliced red onion. Fresh chopped cilantro went on after the pic was taken.
One of the best surprises from left overs.

17 Likes

I always love when a new dish from leftovers turns out amazing.

2 Likes