What's for Dinner #92 - the Fool Me Once Edition - April 2023

I should have put my cheese under the fillet. I got regular size buns this time. Gonna try again. Your looks good!

1 Like

I still have a decent amount of fish from last season in freezer and since we just put our boat in the water I’m trying to use it up before this season starts. Sea bass marinated in lime juice, cumin, jalapeños and cilantro. Served with tomatillo salsa, Mexicanish slaw and grilled nopales/cactus.

23 Likes

Cooked my own bday dinner… unusual. Normally we’d go out, but the little is having unpredictable unhappy stomach and after scrapping or shortening other celebrations in the last few months, I decided to not put that kind of pressure on us. So, a dinner salad - greens, beets, blue cheese, chicken, candied pecans. Honey mustard dressing. Rhubarb snacking cake. No pix.

13 Likes

Here’s to more trips around the sun. Whoop it up next time!

2 Likes

Fingers crossed everyone will be in better health and spirits chez moi and we will take that advice next yr.

6 Likes

One of the new family favorites tonight as I count down to heading home for a few days for meetings: Japchae and Gochujang chicken.

I used the other half of the giant pack of sweet potato noodles I had ordered a few weeks ago, and it somehow seemed like less volume than last time :joy:

The chicken could have used more of everything imo (especially gochujang) but I pan-fried and then roasted it, which resulted in a juicier outcome, so that made up for it.

Man, I love Japchae! I was telling mom how it’s weirdly expensive for a small portion at restaurants, and yet so inexpensive to make at home. She said isn’t that true of everything? Probably. But paying close to $20 for a scant portion of Japchae when I can make 10x that for maybe $5 just seems off. (Now Pajeon? I’ll pay up for that only because I’ll never use the excessive amount of oil necessary for the same outcome at home :rofl:)

21 Likes

Happiest of birthdays! Sounds delicious. :partying_face:

1 Like

I’ve made dinner these past 2 days; just didn’t post pics because they were totally MEH!-looking.

Monday: Chicken with Roasted Garlic and Potatoes drizzled with maple syrup, and steamed green beans.

Tuesday: Cheeseburger with Utz potato chips.

Tonight, I have a picture: Gimme Some Oven’s Skinny Orange Chicken on Basmati rice with peas on top, as well as sesame seeds, and chopped cashews…because I can.

Wine. Even though it’s a Wednesday.

And Finnegan told me it was too cold in the house this morning with the heat turned off. So I gave him his blankie, but without Momma’s lap to rest on.

25 Likes

" Amy’s Fish & Chips, Richmond Hill " - A neighbourhood gem that, IMHO could easily be a prime candidate for the BEST Fish and Chips in the GTA!

Great pricing, huge portion, gorgeously crisp, crunchy and greaseless batter, perfectly cooked moist and juicy, fresh fish filet ( Halibut, Cod & Haddock ), super crispy, double fried chips, thick flavourful gravy, friendly and cheerful service…enough said!! 😋😁👌👍
BTW, the 9 pieces of ginormous crunchy and chewy fried prawns were equally greaseless and well executed!

22 Likes

Happy Birthday :birthday:

1 Like

Happy, happy to you & hoping the younger one feels better soon. :champagne::clinking_glasses::cupcake:

1 Like

James Beard’s Pleasant Pasta. Fettuccine with leftover ham, and asparagus and peas from the garden. An annual spring ritual which is equally good with salami, bacon or proscuitto, it is pleasant, indeed.

I follow the NYT version, but there is a non-paywall version here.

19 Likes

youza! those look spectacular!

Tonight’s dinner was the Sunday Japanese beef “stew” (Nikujaga) I made that was more soup then stew, maybe because i used radishes (subbed for daikon) instead of the called-for potatoes or sweet potatoes, cuz i just love cooked radishes. But the picture on the recipe looked pretty soupy too. i used beef short ribs in a dashi broth, with mirin, sake, soy and sugar. Really nice, kinda sweet/salty. BF made miso glazed eggplant and a cuke salad to go with.

23 Likes

Good mama!

that fish looks excellent!

1 Like

happy birthday! hope the little feels better soon and you get a belated celebration!

1 Like

Continuing with the project of cooking things from the Le Bernardin cookbook - 1 dish not from the book or restaurant and 1 from the cookbook.

I had a 16 oz frozen block of Ora King salmon to work with. I cut off about 4 oz. into sashimi pieces. I coated them with salt to cure while I soaked some salted cherry leaves in cool water. When the leaves were ready, I rinsed off the salt from the salmon and patted both the leaves and the salmon dry and served the salmon wrapped in the leaves, accompanied by Kylie Kwong’s soy dipped radishes. This whole dish is actually inspired by one you used to be able to get at Cafe Sushi in Cambridge when it was still open for dining in.

Then I turned back to the Le Bernardin cookbook and made the Scandinavian-Style Rare Cooked Salmon with Fava Beans. I subbed good chicken broth for the fish fumet and left out the lettuce, but otherwise followed the recipe. Ok, one other change - since I have induction burners and my ramekins were ceramic, instead of making this on the burners, I brought the broth to a boil, added it to the fish and vegetables in the ramekins, and placed them in a 325F oven for 6 minutes. Perfect rare doneness. If you have a really good piece of salmon, I highly recommend this recipe. The effort to deliciousness ratio is tremendous.

One more night to go with this project. Tonight will involve Kanpachi.

20 Likes

That’s a project I’d love to be involved in - if only as a taste tester for the results :star_struck:

2 Likes

Biryani night for us after a long time.

Mom had made the meat korma base and frozen it before her fall. I added potatoes to that and assembled with rice, and also made a vegetarian paneer biryani for her.

I didn’t think to dry out the frozen kroma before layering, so ours ended up a bit soggy, but biryani is biryani. Mom said hers was good but a bit rich.

Raita for them, yogurt for me. And mini papads.

21 Likes