What's for Dinner #92 - the Fool Me Once Edition - April 2023

Quesabirria

23 Likes

Happy Birthday to your husband. I love that card. It would be perfect for my husband. When he turned 50 I went looking for a 50 y/o scotch. It was WAY beyond my means so I got him 2 25 y/os instead!

9 Likes

Looks like a very anniversary celebration worth meal and that card…!

3 Likes

That’s hilarious!

4 Likes

Last night’s “dinner” al fresco with my gal pals consisted of guac, chips, crackers, Turkish string cheese, and charred hot dogs grilled over my first open fire of the year. It’s perfectly normal, of course, for April days to be in the mid-high 80s in PA, but I’ll take it :wink:

A culinarily more satisfactory meal was had a couple nights ago at our favorite Sichuan place in town to bid farewell to a good friend who’s leaving for Vienna for a semester.

The usual suspects were ordered, but not all of them photographed bc we are hungry savages. Chongqing chicken, dry fried green beans, fish dry pot, mapo tofu, garlic eggplant, garlic cukes, bok choy, tea eggs on the house.

IMG_1238

20 Likes

Seafood feast tonight:

Ghee roast crab from the freezer (brother ordered it when he was here and it was too spicy for him) supplemented with sautéed chilli-garlic squid. We ate it all with rice.

Mom had leftover pizza and a tomato-malai paneer salad.

20 Likes

Nice save!

(I find tamarind pretty tricky as there is so much variance in sourness depending on what form (and what brand too) it is in – I have whole, powdered, and paste. Then on top of that, it takes some time for the full flavor to develop, so in early days of using it, I would adjust flavor, then it would cook a while, and boom! Too much! )

3 Likes

I figured he already had a 50 y/o at home so 2 25 y/o sounded like much more fun.

8 Likes

I’m glad you made that joke and not me :rofl::rofl::rofl:

5 Likes

White anchovies! With Boursin and a variety of garnishes on rosemary bread. Rosé for me and IPA for him.

20 Likes

Leftover lasagna from my friend’s delivery. Not my favorite but it worked.

4 Likes

Chicken-zucchini meatballs with scallion and nutmeg. Orzo with baby peas, fresh spinach and shallots.

Anything green on the plate from the garden.

21 Likes

Now that is a perfect example of a great spring soup! Looks fab!

4 Likes

Shrimp creole following this recipe:

https://www.gumbopages.com/food/shr-creole.html

I made half a recipe, which was already quite large - ended up with 8 servings.

And a Vieux Carré

23 Likes

The fishmonger had Norwegian salmon, steelhead trout, and Arctic char, with the char being the cheapest – so we went with that. Nice filet just under a pound, brushed with olive oil and lemon pepper & grilled. Grilled zukes with feta, sumac, marjoram, fresh parsley on the side. Summer on a plate. A little buggy outside for this early in the year, so fire plans were postponed.

HH margz to start le weekend :cocktail:

20 Likes

Repeat of Momo night.

The remaining half bags of the frozen dumplings:
Vegetable + paneer
Chicken
Desi chicken (still my favorite for tasting like a kabab in dumpling skin)

Change tonight was that I remembered to pan-fry some of them: I cooked the Desi chicken ones with dumpling “skirts” / “lace” ie a frilly crunchy layer. Very nice.

I’m serving mom one more dumpling each time (I started at half her usual), and each time zero are left, so she is back to her normal appetite (for dumplings at least :joy:)

23 Likes

Beautiful skirt - masterful! :+1:t2:

3 Likes

SCARBOROUGH…LIVE SEAFOOD AT AMAZING SPECIAL PRICE!!

Taking advantage of a number of amazingly priced daily ‘house’ seafood special at Scarborough’s ’ Yours Food Mart ’ and ’ Bestco Supermarket '.
I decided to augment and kick-up tonight’s home-made Japanese Chirashi dinner ( fish & seafood sashimi from Cho-San, Markham ) with some ’ Mirugai ( Geoduck Clams ) Sashimi ’ and BC Dungeness Crabs, prepared Chiu-Chow Cold Crab Style!
…Oh! The price? LIVE Mirugai at $19.99 a pound! LIVE Dungeness Crab at $ 8.88 a pound!..Unreal!!

13 Likes

Haircut Day means Wegmans’ scallops. :heart:

A buttery lemon, garlic and white wine sauce with minced fresh parsley and s/p added at the end.

On Basmati rice with steamed asparagus alongside.

Wine.

23 Likes

Collards, Italian sausage, mashed potatoes. Easy and tasty.

20 Likes