What's for Dinner #92 - the Fool Me Once Edition - April 2023

I have to agree, that sounds disgusting, especially with the pea protein in the pasta.

1 Like

1/3 cup hidden vegetables!

Well, there’s your problem.

For boxed mac and cheese, Annie’s isn’t bad. Their regular and white cheddar are perfectly fine for a “fuck it. I don’t want to think” meal that might leave you slightly less guilt ridden than Kraft blue box. But probably not.

When they start trying to make a low-effort comfort food “healthy”, it’s the path to disappointment.

2 Likes

Have you tried Annie’s frozen mac? I have not, but one of my clients is a huge fan. The Aldi brand is pretty bland.

I haven’t tried the frozen mac. Since I’m more or less WFH on a permanent basis, my pre-packaged frozen consumption has fallen precipitously (probably a good thing). There’s still fish sticks, TJ’s chicken strips and orange chicken, and a box of frozen White Castles because I have no shame. Most of the rest of the freezer is stuff we’ve preportioned and frozen for convenience. Individual steaks / fish fillets, jars of soup, etc.

3 Likes

Beecher’s frozen mac is worth the price (in both price and calories – it does NOT serve the number stated on the box…)

Dinner tonight was another round of stuffed shells for mom (assembled fresh from the frozen stuffed pasta from the other night and the separately frozen sauce), plus cheese.

Had a minor dinnertime disaster when the outlet that the countertop oven is plugged into started sparking, and I decided no further use till the electrician comes and checks it. So I cooked everything in the microwave (at varying powers) instead, including melting the cheese on top. No one cared, as it turned out, everything still tasted good, just not browned on top.

Sis and I had masala omelettes a la dad (though nowhere as good as a la dad). Minced onion, tomato, cilantro, and green chilli mixed into the beaten eggs and done. Dad beat each separated egg by hand with a fork so that one egg was the size of two, the ratio of masala to egg was perfectly in balance, and the omelettes were both fluffy and thin, somehow. Still, I haven’t had one in a while, and it’s tasty even when it’s not exactly right.

Tomato avocado salad on the side.

19 Likes

Frozen White Castles…for midnight freezer belly bomb raids. Memories.

The frozen sliders are REMARKABLY close to what you get at the restaurant (and this is coming from someone who stops at White Castle upon arrival in Chicago the way some folks go straight to In 'n Out in L.A.)

Certainly good enough to scratch that salt/grease/mush itch that only White Castle can. If you’re a pickle person, adding two dill chips to them will complete your experience.

Pumpkin noodles with shrimp and shiitake mushrooms, adapted from https://rasamalaysia.com/pumpkin-rice-noodles/

Also, green beans.

20 Likes

My dairy insensitivity is largely proteins…so I actually appreciate this as pea protein causes the same reaction as bovine dairy.

sigh

TGIF.

I’m going to indulge this weekend. Tonight is filet mignon with sauteed sherried mushrooms and shallots, seasoned with thyme and s/p.

The lone side is buttered green beans. Unless you consider wine a side. :wink:

24 Likes

Beautiful. Wine is one of the best sides

1 Like

Beautiful job on the beef! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Had our pescatarian buddy over for linguine con cozze e vongole. It was just gonna be canned clams but Aldi had some Fremont market cooked frozen mussels, so zu added them to the mix. The sauce was a melange of olive oil, TPSTOG, RPF (coulda used more), parsley, lemon zest, vermouth, lemon juice, butter.

Salad on the side, escargots for starters.

18 Likes

8 Likes

White pizza with a garlic-oregano bechamel, three cheeses, fresh asparagus, marinated artichokes and sundried tomatoes in oil. There were some colorful pickled peppers which didn’t make the photo. On the side, romaine in a creamy Italian dressing.

20 Likes

sausages and taters, yet again! Fatted Calf “greens” sausages were super juicy, with simple boiled potatoes with butter & parsely, the BF’s creamed spinach topped with TJ’s French friend onions, and a salad. All quite delicious. he’s really got that spinach down pat.

Happy Friday, everybody!

16 Likes

Stir-fried soba noodles with onion, scallions, chicken breast, shrimps, red and green pepper, eggs, light and dark soy sauce. Topped with some sesame seeds, gari and fried shallots

16 Likes

Shrimp tostadas - sous vide red Argentine shrimp, tomato, onion, jalapeño, cilantro, lime juice, and mayo on tostada shells.

21 Likes

Last night’s dinner was a Chic Pea, Spinach and Chicken stew over rice. I limited the chicken to just one (skinless) breast which will make four servings. The cholesterol per serving will be minimal. Sunshine and I really enjoyed our dinner and there is enough for leftovers, tonight.

19 Likes